• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How can I improve my skiing?

Bostonian

Okay...

So last year, I had a pretty decent season. I was able to meet some of you guys at Magic, but quickly saw that man ... I have a long way to go. I have heard everything from lessons, to skiing with someone who is better than you, to doing off season strength training. The reality of it is, being married with a 3 year old and a wife who doesn't ski - I am lucky to get out as much as I do. I guess you could say I am a perpetual high intermediate... I want to though hit the bumps, and ski the trees - really ski better. So if you could recommend one thing to start with, what would it be? Should I invest in a lesson or two this year at my home hill? It's not often that I ski with others ... so I am kinda at that terminal intermediate state...

Thoughts?

Smellytele

Just keep skiing what you need to improve on. Ski alone can help you focus on what you feel you need to. Also throw in a lesson seeing you won't be missing time skiing with others.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Get in the best shape you possibly can before the season. Spend a few days getting your ski legs under you. Take a bump lesson. Spend the rest of the season skiing bumps exclusively. IMO - becoming a proficient bump skier is the fastest way to improve your skiing in all areas.

Savemeasammy

I was having a similar thought this morning. After a 15-20 year absence from skiing (this will be my 3rd season back at it), I want to improve as much as I can before I get too damn old! I think one of the keys is to push yourself. Get out of your comfort zone.

I will agree with DHS. Work on mogul skiing. I think it helps with all other areas of your skiing game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sparky

I not trying to sell anything here, but my mountain (Jiminy Peak) has a night adult program where you ski one night a week for 7 weeks and get a one hour group lesson for 6 of those nights. This gets you out one a week and you can progress though the lessons. Unfortunately we din't often have bumps and very limited tree skiing, however skills obtained in the lessons can be useful in all skiing. The night adult program is where I learned to ski.

Cannonball

Get in the best shape you possibly can before the season. Spend a few days getting your ski legs under you. Take a bump lesson. Spend the rest of the season skiing bumps exclusively. IMO - becoming a proficient bump skier is the fastest way to improve your skiing in all areas.

Or you can have fun!! That helps a lot too. As much as I like bumps, if I spent a whole season skiing bumps exclusively I'd be bored to death and ready to give up the sport. It's a big mountain out there....

skiNEwhere

I'd get someone to record you too if possible. POV won't work, needs to be 3rd person. An instructor would be ideal. They can point out bad habits you may have.

Or you could even post it on here. I think there's a reallllly old thread called "critique the skier ahead of you" or something like that where people post videos of them skiing and the forum members provided feedback, all of it constructive

deadheadskier

Staff member
Or you can have fun!! That helps a lot too. As much as I like bumps, if I spent a whole season skiing bumps exclusively I'd be bored to death and ready to give up the sport. It's a big mountain out there....

I ski bumps maybe 20% of the time these days if not less. I very much enjoy all aspects of skiing.

The only reason I gave that advice is the OP feels he has become a perpetual intermediate skier and would like to improve a lot and I'd assume quickly. IMO the fastest way to get there is to beat the crap out of yourself in the bumps.

Bostonian

I ski bumps maybe 20% of the time these days if not less. I very much enjoy all aspects of skiing.

The only reason I gave that advice is the OP feels he has become a perpetual intermediate skier and would like to improve a lot and I'd assume quickly. IMO the fastest way to get there is to beat the crap out of yourself in the bumps.

I wouldn't say I want to improve "quickly" but I want to see an improvement to my skiing and be able to venture off the beaten path more so... I want to be able to feel comfortable going into the trees or on the bumps. As for being physically fit, I am in better shape than I was last year at this time, but I have a long way to go to be in the "best shape" possible.

Savemeasammy

I've skied with Bostonian. He already has fun when he skis. Now he wants to get better!

If I make it to Gunstock, Bostonian, I will be happy to make more turns with you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hammer

Here's advice based on what I don't get the chance to do most seasons...:-?

Whenever you can, ski with others who are better. Makes one get outside of one's comfort zone. Downside is that there are cases where you can get in over your head...so take breaks to cruise.

Being in shape is certainly needed (especially if skiing movements aren't second nature) but the usual solution for ski fitness in season is to get out there and ski.

MadMadWorld

Bostonian - come skiing with us again. We will keep you challenged! All I can is going back to fundamentals. Work on body alignment and balance. It is the basis for everything you do on skis. The 4 pillars of skiing (BERP) balance, edging, rotary, pressure!

skiberg

The biggest mistake people make when trying to improve their skiing is to continually ski tougher terrain than they are accustomed to. Often this is ineffective as it forces them back on the ski and often into a defensive position. THe result is they end up out of balance. Spend a lot of time on beginer and intermediate slopes. Focus on making sure you are well balanced on the ski. I bet this will mean more forward. Focus on initiating your turns and weighting the inside edge of the ski to make it arc. Learn to pressure your ski more efficiently and generate energy into the next turn. Do this over and over and over and over. Get a lesson on proper technique and the ngo for it. Good skiing is like hitting a golf ball. Repetition and muscle memory.

Bostonian

Bostonian - come skiing with us again. We will keep you challenged! All I can is going back to fundamentals. Work on body alignment and balance. It is the basis for everything you do on skis. The 4 pillars of skiing (BERP) balance, edging, rotary, pressure!

I will certainly take you guys up on that offer and will be focusing on those 4 core areas!

wa-loaf

Yup, throw yourself down the bumps as much a possible. Get good in the bumps and the trees will follow.

bigbog

Yeah...all nice stuff previous..
Find a reputable instructor once in a while, in the NE, and schedule a lesson(or two) to get your short-radius turns, on a variety of terrain, in shape. Maybe catch a mogul camp here on the EC(Donna Weinbrecht @Killington in March(Uggh, I know..so late, but snow will be @max) can only help emphasize the offensive moves, instead of the defensive moves..giving you no intent of direction..

Last edited: