• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Oil nearly falls below $80 on oversupply

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenedictGomez

Just heard $2.77 in Jersey...

Paid $2.73 yesterday at Mobil, and the Mom & Pop station next to it was $2.71 (that's the lowest I've seen).

Overall barometer of economy? Hope not. Hoping more natural gas demand shift

It's everything. Oil is being hit with a perfect storm of high supply and lower demand, as well as the poor economy which lowers forward predicted demand, the fact the Saudis have thrown in the towel and will fight for market share rather than enact a cut, the stronger USD, etc..... It's a weird combination of all simultaneous bad news for oil.

Mariovntr

$2.73 in Delaware yesterday.

I hope this trend holds. I will have so much extra cash for Long Trails and Switchbacks this winter with all the cash I'm going to save driving from Maryland to Vermont and back.

BenedictGomez

$3.22 in Portland, ME. Apparently they didn't get the memo on cheap gas

Everyone has "cheap gas" right now. What some have in addition to "cheap gas" is "expensive tax". That's the difference.

In New Jersey our gasoline tax is low compared to most states. Dont be jealous of that fact, however, because just about every other form of taxation is higher in New Jersey than the rest of America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

Mariovntr

Everyone has "cheap gas" right now. What some have in addition to "cheap gas" is "expensive tax". That's the difference.

In New Jersey our gasoline tax is low compared to most states. Dont be jealous of that fact, however, because just about every other form of taxation is higher in New Jersey than the rest of America.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_taxes_in_the_United_States

You also have to tip the people to fill your gas tank in Jersey.

And let's not forget about them Jersey tolls. R-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s.

BenedictGomez

You also have to tip the people to fill your gas tank in Jersey.

Say what?

And let's not forget about them Jersey tolls. R-i-d-i-c-u-l-o-u-s.

Are they really that bad? I rarely ever take the few roads that have tolls, but when I have they dont seem that egregious. What's egregious is the fact we even have them in the first place given the politicians lied and never removed them, but that's another story. IMO, the NY State tolls seem worse. I think it's something like $8 each way to Vermont.

steamboat1

Full service gas stations. You are 'supposed' to tip the individuals that fill your tank.
They must think I'm cheap because I've never tipped a gas attendant in Jersey. I do fill up there when I'm in the area. Only times I've ever tipped as gas attendant is if they clean my windshield & I haven't had an attendant do that in years. Used to be pretty common years ago for them to do it, some would even check your oil..

Mariovntr

They must think I'm cheap because I've never tipped a gas attendant in Jersey. I do fill up there when I'm in the area. Only times I've ever tipped as gas attendant is if they clean my windshield & I haven't had an attendant do that in years. Used to be pretty common years ago for them to do it.

I always tip, but that's how it always was when I grew up in Ohio. Everyone always tipped the attendants at the Full Serve stations.

Domeskier

They must think I'm cheap because I've never tipped a gas attendant in Jersey. I do fill up there when I'm in the area. Only times I've ever tipped as gas attendant is if they clean my windshield & I haven't had an attendant do that in years. Used to be pretty common years ago for them to do it.

No one in NJ tips. No attendant expects it (though no doubt they appreciate it).

BenedictGomez

Full service gas stations. You are 'supposed' to tip the individuals that fill your tank.

LOL. No; trust me, you're not!

But our gas would be even cheaper if the stations weren't literally forced by the state to hire people to pump your gas.

No one in NJ tips. No attendant expects it .

Born and raised, and never even heard of someone tipping let alone seen someone tip.

Reason being, the "full-service" in New Jersey isnt an additional "service" like in some places where tipping might be common, it's literally mandated by law in New Jersey.

HowieT2

im originally from NJ, now just over the river in westchester, and I've never in my life even heard of anyone tipping the gas station attendant.

Domeskier

I always tip, but that's how it always was when I grew up in Ohio. Everyone always tipped the attendants at the Full Serve stations.

Does Ohio have both self-service and full service? In NJ, self-service is prohibited. Perhaps that explains the difference.

Mariovntr

LOL. No; trust me, you're not!

But our gas would be even cheaper if the stations weren't literally forced by the state to hire people to pump your gas.

I always see people tipping in Jersey. Anyway, I don't mind tipping the people a few bucks. They have to put food on their plates and their families plates so it's all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.