Excited to try out my new gear this year - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wa-loaf View Post

The Soul 7 is unchanged this year from last so you probably won't see any deals until the Spring.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    I have been watching them all summer and noticed this fall that Rossi still had them as their 2014-2015 ski.
    I bought a used pair of S7s cheap for this reason, the glorious accolades & magazine reviews for Soul 7 have really inflated the price.

If you do the homework and dig through the specs and construction, what you find is that the Soul 7 is the S7 with what appear to be some minor changes. When they introduced the Soul 7 in 2014, production on the S7 stopped. You cant fool me Rossignol!

S7 = 50% tip and tail rocker, 50% camber underfoot
    Soul7 = 50% tip and tail rocker, 50% camber underfoot

Radius
    S7 = 17.5m
    Soul7 = 17m

Weight
    S7 = 4.42lbs
    Soul7= 4.23lbs

Dimensions
    S7 = 145-115-123
    Soul7= 136-106-126

Core / Flex
    S7 = wood / stiff
    Soul7= wood / stiff

Surface Area

S7 = ~2198
    Soul7= ~2069

Not really much difference there, the biggest discrepancies are the 6.6% > surface area of the S7 and it being 8.5% bigger underfoot. Rossignol's marketing screams about the "Air Tip" leading to lighter skis, but the reality doesnt really seem to show much of a difference regarding overall ski weight IMO.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Weight
    S7 = 4.42lbs
    Soul7= 4.23lbs=====>
    per ski? If so it's not that light for skis that size

"Air Tip" leading to lighter skis, but the reality doesnt really seem to show much of a difference regarding overall ski weight====> BS and 100% marketing IMHO. Those holes doesn't save much weight

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I bought a used pair of S7s cheap for this reason, the glorious accolades & magazine reviews for Soul 7 have really inflated the price.

If you do the homework and dig through the specs and construction, what you find is that the Soul 7 is the S7 with what appear to be some minor changes. When they introduced the Soul 7 in 2014, production on the S7 stopped. You cant fool me Rossignol!

S7 = 50% tip and tail rocker, 50% camber underfoot
    Soul7 = 50% tip and tail rocker, 50% camber underfoot

Radius
    S7 = 17.5m
    Soul7 = 17m

Weight
    S7 = 4.42lbs
    Soul7= 4.23lbs

Dimensions
    S7 = 145-115-123
    Soul7= 136-106-126

Core / Flex
    S7 = wood / stiff
    Soul7= wood / stiff

Surface Area

S7 = ~2198
    Soul7= ~2069

Not really much difference there, the biggest discrepancies are the 6.6% > surface area of the S7 and it being 8.5% bigger underfoot. Rossignol's marketing screams about the "Air Tip" leading to lighter skis, but the reality doesnt really seem to show much of a difference regarding overall ski weight IMO.
    I think maybe you are compositing the wrong two models, iirc the S7 became the Super7

For the love of the deep, light, and pristine.

If the thought of groomers puts you in a deep sleep, the powder-slashing Rossignol Super 7 Ski will slap you into frenetic euphoria. This off-piste powerhouse features a stable 116-millimeter waist for stomping airs and floating through blower. Its Powder Turn rocker is aptly named, with a long-rockered honeycombed Air Tip and tapered, rockered tail for power steering. The long-radius sidecut shortens directly underfoot for an all-terrain versatility and liveliness. Take this big stick into the backcountry to access pristine stashes, because the ultralight wood core will never be a burden.*

Rossignol's 7-Series freeride line, this year's evolution of its popular S-Series, offers an innovative new fusion of backcountry and all-mountain performance. The Super 7 is the middle child of the new Air Tip skis, with a waist width and turning radius squarely between the big-mountain Squad 7 and the ultra-versatile Soul 7.

Powder Turn rocker delivers 50% low camber underfoot for energy and edge grip and a longer, more progressive rocker at tip and tail for float in powMore powerful rockered tail tapers for easier steering in deep snow and speed controlAir Tip uses patented honeycomb design for reinforced durability and torsional rigidity and reduces swing weight for better maneuverabilityUltralight Paulownia wood core reduces weight by 20 percent and enhances agility without sacrificing downhill powerDiago fiber laminate features a lightweight tight weave over the wood coreSandwich laminate provide ultimate stability, power, and durability; direct edges give precise and powerful edgingAmple 116mm waist provides stable, float-on-top platform in deep, heavy, or variable snowCentered sidecut tapers at tip and tail and shortens underfootFree VAS smooths transition between rocker and camber, reduces tip flap, and increases control and snow contactless…

*Tech Specs

Length:

164 cm, 172 cm, 180 cm, 188 cm

Dimensions:

140 / 116 / 130 mm

Turn Radius:

[180cm] 20.8 m

Profile:

Powder Turn Rocker (low, traditional camber underfoot, rockered tip and tail)

Construction:

sandwich

Core:

Paulownia ultra-light wood, Diago-fiber laminate

Tail:

Raised

Binding Included:

no

Required Binding:

flat-mounted

Recommended Use:

freeride, powder

Manufacturer Warranty
    15-16 Killington 11-17-16

Yes, old S7 is more comparable to Super7. The Soul 7 fits in between the old S3 and S7. Sin 7 is more equivalent to the S3.

Despite whatever the numbers say they do ski very differently. I've skied the S7 and have the Soul7 the Soul 7 is much better on piste than the S7. A friend of mine who is an S7 skier demoed the Souls because he wanted to upgrade and heard good things about them. He really didn't like them much. You may like the S7, but don't say it's the same unless you've actually skied them.
    Whatever hits the fan will not be distributed evenly.

Picked up my new sticks. Now it can snow.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I also do the Twitters.

St.Bear....looking forward to a Sick Day TR if/when you find snow!
    SteveD

Gladly. At the very least, I'm taking them to Utah in January.
    I also do the Twitters.

Looky what the Fed Ex man brought me today, Volkl RTM 84's, 181cm, 2014 model, gasp, new. I can mount the bindings myself, rail system, just gonna have the shop do the adjustment/testing. If you see this James, sorry, I would've given you a chance to match the price on this year's model, but you still don't have them in 181.
    uploadfromtaptalk1416878713180.jpg
    Anybody here skiing them? I demoed the 80's a few years ago, I liked them. I'm hoping they remind me a little of my old Tigersharks. The construction is similar, except for full rocker, and no camber. If they grip anything like the Tigersharks did when new, I'll be happy. I could edge on ice with them.

They seem like a good choice for an East Coast ski, hard snow biased, with some soft snow, crud busting, attributes. Being longish, almost as tall as me, with full rocker should help in moderate powder, I would think. Not expecting them to float my fat ass, shit, I think I'd need a snowboard on each foot to accomplish that. I would like to pick up a pair of used powder skis though.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Was looking at Rail system skis and bindings , What is the improvement over conventional system?

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Was looking at Rail system skis and bindings , What is the improvement over conventional system?
    They claim it helps the ski flex underfoot, the down side, you must use a Marker binding made for the Volkl rail system, so if you like the ski, but don't like Marker bindings, you're sol.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Thread Information