• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Silly prices and strange things I've seen on Craigslist

gmcunni

These might belong in a museum rather than on the mountain

00P0P_1FykRNMQuOM_600x450.jpg

Made in Switzerland. Raichle Red Poly Jet Super ski boots.
Womens size 7 1/2 MW (medium/wide).
Excellent condition in the original box.
$45 - Call

catskillman

These might belong in a museum rather than on the mountain

00P0P_1FykRNMQuOM_600x450.jpg
First - IF you had a blue helmet you could be mistaken for BlueBoy @ Hunter!! And these boots would make great lamps! I may look into these!!

BenedictGomez

Speaking of strange things on Craigslist, for your consideration I found this while looking for Vail tickets yesterday:

I have an Epic Local Pass. Borrow for $60 per day. Deposit required. Must have Paypal.

A-Basin, Keystone, Breckenridge and 6 days at Vail & Beaver Creek. It is also good at Heavenly, Northstar, Park City, Kirkwood, Wilmot, and Mt. Brighton. There are no restrictions or blackout dates left on this pass.

Must pick up and drop off in LoHi Neighborhood. (20th St and I-25 Exit)
Female, girly-ish photo, brown hair, brown eyes. 20s to early 40's

I've found another 2 or 3 where they're selling their pass, but you must look like them, "blond hair, hazel eyes, white guy, 30s" etc...., which is also sketchy, but the RENTING of their season pass, with a paid deposit down to boot, takes the cake!

cdskier

Speaking of strange things on Craigslist, for your consideration I found this while looking for Vail tickets yesterday:

I've found another 2 or 3 where they're selling their pass, but you must look like them, "blond hair, hazel eyes, white guy, 30s" etc...., which is also sketchy, but the RENTING of their season pass, with a paid deposit down to boot, takes the cake!

Wow...hope for their sake Vail doesn't see those and figure out who the people are.

Whitey

a classic for only $15

00404_2JCE337Jtd0_600x450.jpg

Wow, I had those a long time ago. They sure were easy to get on and off. Not sure they did much for my skiing. Used to reach down and flip the latch on them as I was getting on the chair lift to let my feet breath. That's probably because I had to ratchet them down so hard to keep my foot from moving around in there.

Smellytele

Wow, I had those a long time ago. They sure were easy to get on and off. Not sure they did much for my skiing. Used to reach down and flip the latch on them as I was getting on the chair lift to let my feet breath. That's probably because I had to ratchet them down so hard to keep my foot from moving around in there.

I had a pair as well in the 80's

Hawkshot99

They better hope Vail doesn't see that. Person can be arrested for theft of services.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

They better hope Vail doesn't see that. Person can be arrested for theft of services.

It seems fairly prevalent. I've seen a bunch of those adds on Craigslist, mostly 20 somethings, but this one was unusual in that it was almost written like a formal business contract, lol. The others were mostly people done skiing for the year looking to sell their pass for $200 or $300.

cdskier

I wonder how many they catch. We have been asked specifics about us while they scanned badges and the scanners have the picture. So far only at Breck.

With the passes being so cheap to begin with, I would definitely be very aggressive in pursuing the people re-selling or renting their passes on places like craigslist if I was Vail.

Hawkshot99

I didn't really believe the Vail passes thing so I just went on Craigslist looking.
It would be so easy for Vail to catch people if the desired. Just contact the person on CL and they will come running to get the $. Then have them arrested for theft.

I had some friends a few years ago get in trouble over a season pass. One of them had to go away so he lent the pass to the other. The person who owned the pass, has a very difficult name to pronounce. The lifty just asked the user to say his name, and when he struggled, both the lifty and user knew he was caught.
Mtn took the pass, required the guy to buy a day pass, and required the owner of the pass to pay a penalty of $100 before pass was reactivated.

dlague

I didn't really believe the Vail passes thing so I just went on Craigslist looking.
It would be so easy for Vail to catch people if the desired. Just contact the person on CL and they will come running to get the $. Then have them arrested for theft.

I had some friends a few years ago get in trouble over a season pass. One of them had to go away so he lent the pass to the other. The person who owned the pass, has a very difficult name to pronounce. The lifty just asked the user to say his name, and when he struggled, both the lifty and user knew he was caught.
Mtn took the pass, required the guy to buy a day pass, and required the owner of the pass to pay a penalty of $100 before pass was reactivated.

If you borrow an Epic Pass, go to A Basin - they only scan the bar code!

BenedictGomez

It seems so prevalent that I have to believe Vail doesn't do anything about it. I imagine all it would take is 1 or 2 "marketed" cases of people getting busted and they could shut down this entire cottage industry rather quickly.

Jcb890

I haven't been anywhere on the MAX that does anything more than scan your barcode in lift line or buzz in via RFID. Though I do think your image may come up on the RFID ones (like Wachusett), but I cannot confirm that suspicion. Some other mountains make you go to the Customer Service desk to exchange the MAX for a regular ticket, but they don't check IDs or anything like that.