Best Northeast Resort By Decade - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    Yes Stowe is an amazing ski area but I can't justify the prices they change for a day pass. It's 4-4.5 hours from me and the only way I go is on the bus, ride and pass for $75, that is a bargain.
    Yes their walk up window rate is a little over the top but their online tickets are competively priced. That's a nice deal with the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Yes their walk up window rate is a little over the top but their online tickets are competively priced. That's a nice deal with the bus.
    A little????

If you are somewhere where the bus is.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    A little????
    Yes just a little. I think all your major players in VT. will be over $90 for a we/hol walk up window ticket this year. Most haven't posted prices yet but Killington already announced $92 for a we/hol walk up ticket. The other major players are likely to be similar if not more. I think Stowe is worth $10/$11 more. If you already have their RFID card (which I do) their walk up rate is $103, $89 online.

Yes just a little. I think all your major players in VT. will be over $90 for a we/hol walk up window ticket this year. Most haven't posted prices yet but Killington already announced $92 for a we/hol walk up ticket. The other major players are likely to be similar if not more. I think Stowe is worth $10/$11 more. If you already have their RFID card (which I do) their walk up rate is $103, $89 online.
    I think Stowe's pricey reputation gets reinforced by their unwillingness to have deals on Liftopia and so forth. At least, that's been my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I think Stowe's pricey reputation gets reinforced by their unwillingness to have deals on Liftopia and so forth. At least, that's been my experience.
    If you belong to a ski club you can prepurchase Stowe tickets for $66, good anytime. Then there is their ski club appreciation days for $44, I think they have 15 of them spread out throughout the season. But you're right no deals for John Q public.

edit: my error there are some deals for John Q public. VT. passes, VT. travel card & a few others I believe.
    Last edited by steamboat1; Oct 25, 2014 at 11:32 AM.

"80s?? Hmmm, what happened in 1980 that made one resort a world name? Event(s) that because the eyes of the whole world would be upon it required and allowed for massive investment in snowmaking, lifts, lodge, and other improvements that put them out front of all the others and allowed them to coast through the decade until the winter of 1988-'89 when I taught there full time and lived at the Hotel Marcy suites, hanging out at the Arena Grill and Mudpuddles. PS Greatest Vertical in the East too.

Oh, and in he 30's & 40's?? North Creek NY (Gore was not developed yet). Ski Trains from NYC!!

Last edited by Stache; Oct 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM.

I agree with Sunday River 80s - it was definitely THE place to ski for kids from my town on North Shore of Boston in the 80s.

My guess is that if you went up to your average Joe/Jill has no clue that Whiteface hosted the 1980 alpine events, where it is, or what happens there. It's a great mountain - no doubt, (I'd rather ski it in the right conditions more than most named on here) and while its' vertical is not continuous, it's big, but no longer big enough to host an FIS downhill or super-G.
    People know Lake Placid, not Whiteface.

Quote Originally Posted by Stache View Post
    "80s?? Hmmm, what happened in 1980 that made one resort a world name? Event(s) that because the eyes of the whole world would be upon it required and allowed for massive investment in snowmaking, lifts, lodge, and other improvements that put them out front of all the others and allowed them to coast through the decade until the winter of 1988-'89 when I taught there full time and lived at the Hotel Marcy suites, hanging out at the Arena Grill and Mudpuddles. PS Greatest Vertical in the East too.

Oh, and in he 30's & 40's?? North Creek NY (Gore was not developed yet). Ski Trains from NYC!!
    New novel coming out in May... The Lighthouse Society

2011-2012: 61 lift served days...

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    My guess is that if you went up to your average Joe/Jill has no clue that Whiteface hosted the 1980 alpine events, where it is, or what happens there. It's a great mountain - no doubt, (I'd rather ski it in the right conditions more than most named on here) and while its' vertical is not continuous, it's big, but no longer big enough to host an FIS downhill or super-G.
    People know Lake Placid, not Whiteface.
    Iceface is fine, if you can deal with all the NYers and J-holes.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Thread Information