Peak Resorts: The New ASC?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 60 1231151 ... LastLast

Peak Resorts: The New ASC?

Well, this doesn't sound good. Can't say this is a surprise.

http://www.newenglandskiindustry.com...hp?storyid=174

Peak Resorts to Attempt IPO Again
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014, NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com

The pending event likely prompting the latest IPO attempt is a 10% interest only loan related to Mount Snow. $42.9 million is due on April 1, 2016.

According to the SEC Form S-1, Peak Resorts has $204 million in assets, $175 million in long term debt (most of it at 10% interest), and $3.5 million in stockholders' equity. The company reported 1.57 million skier visits and 182 thousand tubing visits in fiscal year 2014.
    I'm no banker, but 175 million $ in the hole probably isn't a good thing I suppose.
    2019-2020 0 days and holding...
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Yes companies don't want to have a lot of debt but that doesn't mean they can't be successful. The construction equipment company caterpillar is a great example of this.

As a shareholder, what I'd be more concerned about are their plans for growth. The ski industry is volatile due to the weather, I don't see much growth from operations alone, it would have to come from real estate.
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

L
    Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    Yes companies don't want to have a lot of debt but that doesn't mean they can't be successful. The construction equipment company caterpillar is a great example of this.

As a shareholder, what I'd be more concerned about are their plans for growth. The ski industry is volatile due to the weather, I don't see much growth from operations alone, it would have to come from real estate.
    Agreed. That S-1 better disclose their position on domes.

5 bucks says they build a dome before they ever upgrade the summit triple at attitash
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

The SEC Form is a very interesting read and provides a lot of insight into the economics of ski area operations.

Peak Resorts has $204 million in assets, $175 million in long term debt (most of it at 10% interest), and $3.5 million in stockholders' equity.
    Goodnight Gracie.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    The SEC Form is a very interesting read and provides a lot of insight into the economics of ski area operations.
    You're right, here are my top-10 takeaways for those who are either too lazy, or not boring enough to enjoy reading SEC filings:

1) It's pretty telling who isnt book running.
    2) They're losing money & don't have a lot of cash.
    3) They have a ton of debt.
    4) With a few notable exceptions, they own mostly crummy little ski areas.
    5) Why they plan on offering a quarterly dividend is completely beyond me.
    6) They plan on raising lift ticket & season pass prices and call that a big component of their success.
    7) They claim they intend to continue to acquire ski areas when it's a strategic fit (interesting given their current debt/equity).
    8: For the 13/14 season, they got 33.1% of revenue on weekends & 24.4% of revenue during the 3 major holiday periods.
    9) Lots of info here on what segments comprise what % of revenue and what items are what % of expenses (interesting stuff).
    10) They're highly leveraged to Mount Snow from a top-line perspective (40%). As Mount Snow goes, so too goes this company.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Some of those dinky areas have more revenue than Wildcat, which is 3rd from the bottom!

I'm not sure if running ski areas with Wall St's best interests in mind, rather than skier/riders best interests, is a great idea...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interest on the debt is over $11 per skier visit.

Thread Information