• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Ski Advice

xlr8r

I'm looking for some direction in demoing and eventually getting a new pair of skis this year. I currently have a pair of 6 year old 181 K2 Apache Recons. I think it is time for something new, but have not paid any attention to how skis have changed in the last 5 years or so. I would like something a bit wider for the rare powder day. Being a big guy (6'4", 220lbs) the recons tend to sink in powder. Or at the other end of the spectrum, I would like a tighter turn radius as the recons tend to naturally carve on large radius turns. Does anyone have any ideas on what skis I should look into demoing this year? Is there anything that would complement the recons? or are the skis so much better now that the recons will just be outperformed in all conditions by new skis.

prsboogie

K2 Rictor 90xti, Line Supernatural 92 or 100, Blizzard Bonafide, Rossignal Experience 100 They all have similar properties, a little metal to hang on to edge while being able to still make tight turns when needed, wide enough to keep the tips up in rare ec powder days while being sturdy enough for a larger rider. I would stay north of the 180cm mark in all these models. Im sure there are plenty of other skis to try out also.

bigbog

Think I'd echo prsboogie's note of going longer than ~182. More length, with a relatively soft tail and tip/shovel(firm enough for crud performance) will offer better float, I think.
Companies have played around with widths, shapes, rockered tips/[tails] and sidecuts, so do give a few skis a try if possible...

Last edited: