• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington vs Sundayriver

machski

Jerryg, I am assuming you are asking about SR. The answer is yes, T2, Upper Punch, Jungle Road, Ecstasy, Cascade, Punch and Lower Punch have all had snow. I heard Monday the lower trails had a good 3 to 5 inch base already down.

jerryg

Nope. I was there Monday. I'm asking about Kmart. I saw the pics of their open terrain from opening day and it looked great, but I don't know where else they made snow.

Jerryg, I am assuming you are asking about SR. The answer is yes, T2, Upper Punch, Jungle Road, Ecstasy, Cascade, Punch and Lower Punch have all had snow. I heard Monday the lower trails had a good 3 to 5 inch base already down.

machski

Nope. I was there Monday. I'm asking about Kmart. I saw the pics of their open terrain from opening day and it looked great, but I don't know where else they made snow.

Not much else. The middle of the great northern link to North Ridge got a base laid down but not the first leg to the first left corner off the Gondi and not the cross cut connection below downdraft into North Ridge. Nothing below the North Ridge triple base either.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
As of this AM (Nov. 8 ) Snocountry.com ski reports shows the only 2 ski areas open in the northeast as Killington and Sunday River. For comparison purposes:
Sunday River: 1 of 135 Trails, 7 of 870 Acres
Killington: 4 of 155 Trails, 11 of 1509 Acres

Hawkshot99

As of this AM (Nov. 8 ) Snocountry.com ski reports shows the only 2 ski areas open in the northeast as Killington and Sunday River. For comparison purposes:
Sunday River: 1 of 135 Trails, 7 of 870 Acres
Killington: 4 of 155 Trails, 11 of 1509 Acres

I don't care about # of trails open. I care about # of ways down. Some mtns go and change the name of a trail at every crossing, then go and say they have 3 trails open when its just upper, middle and lower of thr same trail.

steamboat1

I don't care about # of trails open. I care about # of ways down. Some mtns go and change the name of a trail at every crossing, then go and say they have 3 trails open when its just upper, middle and lower of thr same trail.
Naming trails upper, middle & lower makes a lot of sense to me. For instance upper East Fall is now open but lower East Fall is not. If they just said East Fall is open it would give the wrong impression about how much terrain is actually open. Tomorrow upper Big Dipper will most likely be open but I can guarantee you that lower Big Dipper will not. Same thing when they open Superstar trail. Usually they open upper Supe (headwall) first. Then you cut over to Skyelark from there. Later they will blow middle Superstar & when that opens you cut over to Skyelark lower down. Lower Superstar usually opens last. If they just said Superstar is open once again it would give you the wrong impression of what is actually open. Being able to be more descriptive about which trail segments are actually open or closed is a good thing in my book.

Tin

Sunday Punch just opened and they could have 7 more open tomorrow. I'm no SR fan but they are doing some great stuff to get a lot open.

Tin

Naming trails upper, middle & lower makes a lot of sense to me. For instance upper East Fall is now open but lower East Fall is not. If they just said East Fall is open it would give the wrong impression about how much terrain is actually open. Tomorrow upper Big Dipper will most likely be open but I can guarantee you that lower Big Dipper will not. Same thing when they open Superstar trail. Usually they open upper Supe (headwall) first. Then you cut over to Skyelark from there. Later they will blow middle Superstar & when that opens you cut over to Skyelark lower down. Lower Superstar usually opens last. If they just said Superstar is open once again it would give you the wrong impression of what is actually open. Being able to be more descriptive about which trail segments are actually open or closed is a good thing in my book.

Completely agree. Very helpful at times but the other side of it is going from 48 trails to 110+ in a summer.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've said it many times. The only reason Stowe did it was for marketing. They were losing business to other mountains because they were perceived as a small ski area. I had friends in the marketing department when the change was made and they'd lose group business from tour operators all the time because of this.

I razzed them pretty good over the "great expansion", but the reasons why made perfect sense.

Hawkshot99

Yes it makes sence when you want to know what section of a trail is open.
But as the stat above was posted that K has 4 trails open vs SR only haveing 1.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

Areas post what's open in many different ways - and all have faults.

Trail Count is problematic because short trails and connectors count.

Acreage is problematic because some area count glades as skiable acreage - and some don't. In a world of snowmaking, areas want to claim 100% open - and some seasons some of the glades don't open.

"Ways down" has its problems. How do you want to count "ways down" at Killington today. Start on Great Northern, Upper Double Dipper or Reason - and half way down, the choices become Lower Rime or Upper East Fall. It seems like that's more than two ways down!

Open mileage seems like a pretty good metric. What's the fault with that?

Tin

attachment.php

Upper East Fall is looking pretty amazing. Anyone know if the whole trail looks like this? If so I might have to get up there sooner instead of later.

Attachments

• 1908446_10152602233814401_677837399527937832_n.jpg
    1908446_10152602233814401_677837399527937832_n.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 226

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com

Upper East Fall is looking pretty amazing. Anyone know if the whole trail looks like this? If so I might have to get up there sooner instead of later.
Last Thursday (Nov. 6) it did. By Monday (Nov. 10), they groomed it and resurfaced it (i.e. new snow). By yesterday (Monday) afternoon the texture was returning. If they didn't groom the trail since, it should look pretty close to that by this (Tuesday) afternoon.

jerryg

SR will likely have at least 4 T2B routes by the end of the weekend and I don't mean 4 trails feeding into one going to the base. It will start that way with about 5-6 trails leading to Sunday Punch and Lower Sunday Punch, but Cascades, Right Stuff, and Monday Morning are primed to open by the end of the weekend and there is the potential for Lazy River-Risky Business-Tourist Trap to follow shortly thereafter, but the latter is a ways off with only the Lazy River section covered thus far.