• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington for a 6 year old Tuesday

catsup948

I'm thinking of taking my son to Killington Tuesday. He skied every black at Berkshire East well without any fear. I don't remember North Ridge being all that steep but Killington is saying only advanced terrain is open. Would it be a bad idea to bring him?

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
It's not about steepness, its about staying in control and adapting to conditions. If he can avoid people, ski ice, ski moguls, and deal with 240 stairs, I think he'll be alright. Only if he can stay in control- that's the key.

dlague

I'm thinking of taking my son to Killington Tuesday. He skied every black at Berkshire East well without any fear. I don't remember North Ridge being all that steep but Killington is saying only advanced terrain is open. Would it be a bad idea to bring him?

I think it depends on how well he skis! We brought our son at 6 years ago but he was skiing pretty good already. Rime and East Fall can get busy especially nearing the lift where the two open trails merge into a single lane trail (for the most part). Also, make sure he maintains speed closer to the lift so he does not have to get get pulled as far. As we type it looks like you have to take the stairs down to the trails and then hike the stairs back to the Gondola. I plan on going next Tuesday and anticipate a busier day.

I bet this weekend will be a mad house! I have never seen them open so little on opening day. With the rain this Thursday and a refreeze - scraped off conditions will prevail.

bobbutts

For me, the kinds of crowds you'll find on early season wrod's mean leave the small children at home. It stresses me out to worry about someone colliding with the kid. They're light and small, so they're damaged easily and hard to see. Also they probably aren't well versed in knowing things like where not to stop and the rest of the skiers code. If you do it, just be careful.

Rogman

He will have no trouble with the steepness or the lift, however there probably won't be a lot of areas open in the NE, so you will have to deal with the Veteran's Day crowds. Possibly there will be a very long wait for a short run. Slopes may be crowded and this time of year requires a certain 360 degree awareness, possibly outside his skill set. Until a few more areas open, and the skiers are spread out on more terrain, it might be better to wait. Also, if he can't carry his own skis, you may have a tough time carry both yours and his.

However, if this cautionary advice doesn't scare you off, go, and have a great time! Don't over do it with him, half a dozen runs should be plenty, and stop back in the peak lodge for lunch. The food is great, the views fabulous, and he it will be a trip he will remember for the rest of his life.

Savemeasammy

IMO the early season crowds at Killington would be my biggest worry. I'm sure your son would handle the terrain easily enough, but I would be worried about other skiers/riders on the hill of questionable ability. I have a 7 year old who skis pretty well, but I wouldn't take him on a busy day like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
I remember when my son was 6. After skiing all the blue squares when he was 5, I took him out when he was 6 on a day that there were no green circles available. What happened was a disaster (and what happened was confirmed to me by a number of people with early education experience). He had no muscle memory and had to learn again. It didn't take as long, but I wound up skiing down holding him in my arms.

boston_e

I think I'm agreeing with the consensus here. "Terrain wise" my 6 and 8 year old would ski rime / reason without any issue, but I would not bring them this early in the season. IMO there are just too many wildcards with crowds, conditions, etc etc.

The comments about it being their first day back for the season is a very good point. Even though they skied black diamonds at Pico at the end of last season with no problems, the first time we go this year I will be taking them on green runs the first day back to make sure they remember what they are doing.

The worst thing that can happen with little kids is that they have a bad experience one day and then be hesitant to go again.

My suggestion would be to wait until Snowshed / Ramshead etc etc are all open.

Domeskier

Be prepared to carry your son, equipment and all, up those stairs. At least, that's how I would have played it when I was 6.

catsup948

Thank you for all the great advice. I've decided to skip Killington on Tuesday. The family is actually going to be traveling to Proctor, VT on Sunday for Frozen @ Wilson Castle. I guess it is a huge deal but my wife managed to get tickets.

steamboat1

Thank you for all the great advice. I've decided to skip Killington on Tuesday. The family is actually going to be traveling to Proctor, VT on Sunday for Frozen @ Wilson Castle. I guess it is a huge deal but my wife managed to get tickets.
Stop in Franklins while you're in Proctor. They make excellent wings. Also watch your speed. The town is a speed trap. Also make sure you make a full stop at the stop sign in the middle of town. They'll bag you there also.

ThinkSnow

IMO the early season crowds at Killington would be my biggest worry. I'm sure your son would handle the terrain easily enough, but I would be worried about other skiers/riders on the hill of questionable ability. I have a 7 year old who skis pretty well, but I wouldn't take him on a busy day like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. NYers and J-holes are not ideal company for a 6 year old.

Highway Star

Is he an accomplished advanced level skier? No? Then probably not.