• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Summit 6.0 changes?

Savemeasammy

Perhaps you could devise a way to make the "first tracks" thing available to actual forum users? I think it's fine that the trip itself is available to anyone, but it would be nice if perks like this were available to people who actually participate on the board (and not just 5 lame posts to meet a quota)...

VTKilarney

Perhaps you could devise a way to make the "first tracks" thing available to actual forum users? I think it's fine that the trip itself is available to anyone, but it would be nice if perks like this were available to people who actually participate on the board (and not just 5 lame posts to meet a quota)...
Agreed. The cheapest rate should only be available to regular contributors.

abc

Last year the Summit had > 200 participants, I think.

The year before I did a package rate at Sugarbush and there were, I think, eight of us. :lol:
The year before I was away on that very weekend when the Sugarbush thing was on! I almost felt like canceling my trip out west to do it instead (kidding) :(

I'm one such that wouldn't have the time to drive all the way to Maine but would seriously consider something in northern VT. But not everyone can make a particular weekend though. And it might need a year or two to build momentum too.

Besides, with 8 people you get to know each other. With 200...

BenedictGomez

But the reason it's at SL every year is they give the "best" package deal. So getting the "best" deal far from civilization drops alot of people out of the running.

Yes, but the reason SL gives the "best" package deal, IS because they're far from civilization.

The fact that attendance is up every season as well is a good indicator it is successful.

Not really. See my previous comment re: "the word being out" and the fact it's likely now being used as a FOL* free-for-all.

I wouldnt really call that successful, but admittedly, YOMV.

*Friends of Lurkers

abc

Whatever rules Nick implements, I bet there're ways to beat it.

I understand forum regulars' feelings. There's a community here that we like to connect to the real person. But as an online forum, lurkers are just as valuable as posters. They're "eyes" from the point of advertisers, which supports the financial running of this board.

We don't exist in a vacuum.

wa-loaf

Not really. See my previous comment re: "the word being out" and the fact it's likely now being used as a FOL* free-for-all.

I wouldnt really call that successful, but admittedly, YOMV.

*Friends of Lurkers

Successful in that it's driving a lot of skiers to Sugarloaf. The more skiers AZ can deliver to Sugarloaf the more clout AZ has in working future deals both at Sugarloaf and elsewhere. So when Nick does have the time and inclination to work a second AZ summit he can point to Sugarloaf and say "I can deliver X number of skiers to middle of nowhere Maine, I can probably fill your empty condos on X slow weekend for you." He's not going to get a lot of deals if all he can bring to the party are the 30 or so active posters here.

I'm not a fan of the tiered pricing. It seems the more people you can bring up to the Mtn the lower the price should get. But it did get people moving fast and now Sugarloaf filled a lot of beds in a short period of time. I know if it hadn't been for the tiered pricing I might have taken my time making the call.

deadheadskier

Staff member

Regarding the first tracks, not really. The moderators hand out the passes at the apres party. So, in theory, that process could change. We'll discuss it.

To be honest, there were a ton of people at the apres party last year who didn't have a clue what first tracks was all about and rejected the pass. I would say these were likely the "lurkers" or random people who just use AZ for the cheap ski weekend.

gmcunni

that is an excellent idea

Savemeasammy

I understand forum regulars' feelings. There's a community here that we like to connect to the real person. But as an online forum, lurkers are just as valuable as posters. They're "eyes" from the point of advertisers, which supports the financial running of this board.

We don't exist in a vacuum.

Maybe you misunderstood? I'm just talking about the 75 people who get to make "first tracks"... This isn't something that costs extra - and it isn't even going to be something that determines whether someone attends. Opening the summit to everyone is fine - we all benefit from the good deal. I just think these little perks could be for the regular users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puck it

I got the tier 1 pricing after I tried to get the price I got last year in the condo. It was worth a try.

MadMadWorld

You really see this in the free lift ticket giveaways each year.

There'll be a post for "2 free Jay Peak" tickets etc... at 11:00am, and just a few hours later there will be dozens of "In" posts, many from people with < 20 posts in 5 years. It always amazes me and makes me wonder if there really are that many lurkers here, or if these people have RSS feeds set-up for contests and giveaways.

They are called prize pigs. The same type of people that always are the 7th caller into radio stations.

deadheadskier

Staff member
What was first tracks last year.....Frozen granular or wind blown hard pack?

I'm not normally someone who seeks out groomers, but every year except for the nuclear March meltdown year, the snow for first tracks has been absolutely perfect butter cord. Total hero snow. It's my favorite part of the weekend.