• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

dlague

Funny to read this thread! From the looks of things this has been one of the best openings for Cannon that I can recall - although Dec 20th 2014 was a good day on mittersill due a two foot dump. And yet this opening is not good enough. Why? Almost as if the thought process is best is not good enough. You were lucky if you skied Mittersill before mid January (exception Dec. 2014). Take a look at last year on Dec 19th. Now, be happy with what you have this year!

Dec 19th 2015
cannon last year.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

thebigo

Skied cannon today, first time this year and second time in several years. Conditions were scraped down glare ice nearly everywhere, after skiing crotched regularly this year we were disappointed. Cannot understand why they were blowing on mittersill all day when the upper mountain clearly needed to be refreshed. Had a cannon pass some 7 or 8 years ago and they left a gun running on the connector between the Peabody and cannonball, this approach was sorely needed today.

One question - there were numerous valves that appeared to be losing large volumes of air to the atmosphere on the upper mountain, but there was no snow being blown on cannon proper. Are cannon and mitt on the same air loop?

Last edited:

dlague

Skied cannon today, first time this year and second time in several years. Conditions were scraped down glare ice nearly everywhere, after skiing crotched regularly this year we were disappointed. Cannot understand why they were blowing on mittersill all day when the upper mountain clearly needed to be refreshed. Had a cannon pass some 7 or 8 years ago and they left a gun running on the connector between the Peabody and cannonball, this approach was sorely needed today.
Not surprised after rain and refreezing. They are probably going to tune up trails for the weekend. Plus they are getting Mittersill ready for a race event coming in early January.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

wtcobb

Pretty bony out there for lunch turns. Upper Gremlin looked deadly - saw a boarded hook a front edge and penguin slide for ~75 feet. Front five were a decent mix. Paulie's has nice snow on the right side with boilerplate on the left. Rocket & Gary's good.

Looked like all snowmaking efforts were on Mittersill. A groomer was laying tracks on the training slope.

witch hobble

My daughter and I took a tour de Cannon today. Parking seemed crowded but lodge and slopes were not. Took a few rides on the new t bar, double was not spinning. Superslope was ok. You and your posse can definitely rip gs turns in blue angel/flying v formation if that's your thing. Does make Mitt not seem so much like Siberia, for better or worse.

Compared to last year, it's nice just having terrain open. Some bare spots and glare on the open terrain.....and 40' whales on unopened Baron's.

Merry Xmas y'all

yeggous

My daughter and I took a tour de Cannon today. Parking seemed crowded but lodge and slopes were not. Took a few rides on the new t bar, double was not spinning. Superslope was ok. You and your posse can definitely rip gs turns in blue angel/flying v formation if that's your thing. Does make Mitt not seem so much like Siberia, for better or worse.

Compared to last year, it's nice just having terrain open. Some bare spots and glare on the open terrain.....and 40' whales on unopened Baron's.

Merry Xmas y'all

How was the snow? The wife and I are debating where to go tomorrow. Is it brick solid or is ungroomed skiable?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app