• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

rtjcbrown

Cannon seems to have a nice setup for summit skiing, and becoming a player in late season skiing. Is this even a consideration due to state ownership?

dlague

Cannon seems to have a nice setup for summit skiing, and becoming a player in late season skiing. Is this even a consideration due to state ownership?

I think they come to a point where they start getting ready for summer operations and could careless about skiing!

Greg Keeler, marketing director at Cannon Mountain, said the transition to summer starts as soon as the air gets warm.

“Some years, no matter what you have open, you can’t get people skiing,” Keeler said.

Instead, the staff works mostly on maintenance for their summer projects to make sure they’re up and ready to go, and for Cannon, that includes the aerial tramway to the mountain summit.

With Cannon in the heart of Franconia Notch State Park, Keeler said the mountain gets “substantially more visitors” in summer than in winter.

“There’s bus groups and tours and all kinds of tourists,” he said. “Summertime is busy time for us here at Cannon.”

The mountain also operates Echo Lake Beach at Cannon’s base, as well as Lafayette Campground and Flume Gorge for summer tourists who visit the state park.

SIKSKIER

Nope.They did it one year many moons ago using the tram and the upper quad.Went till May 1st.This year the GM said 2nd or 3rd weekend of April which is what they have been doing for some time now.

cm0311

Nope.They did it one year many moons ago using the tram and the upper quad.Went till May 1st.This year the GM said 2nd or 3rd weekend of April which is what they have been doing for some time now.

Are we sure it's not just the result of an NCAA commitment they have coming up?

Funny feeling tells me the snow making seizes after the competition.

SIKSKIER

Well,those races are done Friday.Cannon will be moving to the top by Thursday with another real cold window this weekend.They will continue through at least the weekend.I think the NCAA had a little to do with it but I only expected to them make snow here and there where it was really needed.That still would have looked great for all these visiting racers and support but they went way beyond laying huge amounts and will continue after they are gone.

dlague

Are we sure it's not just the result of an NCAA commitment they have coming up?

Funny feeling tells me the snow making seizes after the competition.
Based on where they are making snow basically all over, it has little to do with it. Garys is often used for racing but not that event which is actually going to be on Mittersill side. They are making on many trails off Zoomer and Peabody lifts. And now it sounds like they are going after the summit area. So it has more to do with season longevity.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

SkiMom80

Looking for tips. Heading to Cannon for the first time on Saturday, and it looks a bit complicated to get around the mountain. We'll need be at the Brookside learning center to drop off and pick up the 3-year-old off at 10:00, 11:30, 1:00, and 2:30. I'd like to explore all over the mountain, but the Mittersill chair, Zoomer chair, and tram look like a PITA to get to. Thoughts? Tips? Thanks!

Puck it

Looking for tips. Heading to Cannon for the first time on Saturday, and it looks a bit complicated to get around the mountain. We'll need be at the Brookside learning center to drop off and pick up the 3-year-old off at 10:00, 11:30, 1:00, and 2:30. I'd like to explore all over the mountain, but the Mittersill chair, Zoomer chair, and tram look like a PITA to get to. Thoughts? Tips? Thanks!
Go to Loon!!!!

Savemeasammy

Nothing at Cannon is a pita to get to. You can get to Mittersill from the Peabody base. You can get to both the Zoomer and tram from the top of Peabody.

Get there early...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

SIKSKIER

About the only big mt thats easier to get around is Wildcat.If your there early,park right near Brookside learning center.there are plenty of pods to park all along the Brookside learning area.To get to Mittersill you dont actually need a lift but there would be a little pushing/skating, but I ski down from those pods to the lower (Tuckerbrook) lift.Its short,exit right and you will be right at Mittersill.

dlague

As others have stated everything you can ski to pretty easy. You do not have to go to the summit to get to Mittersill - go to Tuckerbrook Quad and go down Rabbit Path and exit left. To get to Zoomer Lift take Peabody Lift to any front trails or Eagle Cliff to Rocket or Gary's. The best way to the tram is to get to Banshee or Jasper's From the Banshee Cut-thru from Avalanche.

Sounds like a lot but actually very easy!

SkiMom80

Thanks, everyone! I appreciate the info. We're hoping to "graduate" to Cannon from BW as the kids get older. We can't wait to try it out this weekend.

Smellytele

Cannon was skiing great today. They were blowing mid-mountain all day. Huge whales! The front face was very carveable today. No wind, no ice what a great day of skiing. Mittersil groomers (sad actually saying that but yes groomers but there would be nothing without them) were skiing great as well.