• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

petergriffen

Great video, we were there Sunday. Mostly good except the usual spots and that trail Mittersill skiers right that everyone takes looked like a warzone with people down everywhere. Can't wait to get back harder now with a 2 and 3 year old

Farleyman

Hitting cannon tomorrow, weather looks great. Anyone skiing there today or yesterday? Kinsman and tramline still in good shape? Anyone been over to gun smoke? Beers are on my if you can show me how to get there... This is my third season with a house in Franconia, still leaning the mountain.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

HouseQuinn

Just found out about this board, and wow, what a resource. Awesome stuff.

Skied Cannon for the first time on Tuesday, had a pretty good day. I typically ski BW, Sunapee, or Loon as I've been getting back into it after almost a decade of not skiing (live in Boston, didn't have a car for years), but I've pretty much exhausted all the interesting stuff at those places. BW is my fav out of those, because I love the number and variety of glades. I get that it's not steep at all, but a lot of times I think that's an advantage because the snow stays put. Anyway, in pursuit of more interesting stuff, finally got over to Cannon. Their trails are obviously a lot cooler/more interesting than BW/Sunapee/Loon, but I was a little disappointed in the glades I hit. I skied Lakeview and Echo Woods and found them both kind of limited in potential lines. I could not get to Snowmakers Glade, I think because of some race training. I also couldn't find the Turnpike Glade. I DID manage to find The Creek glade, and that was a humbling experience. I basically made 4-5 turns before having to take off my skis and walk the rest. I kind of could not believe that was a legit ski trail, seemed like it was not even wide enough to turn like, at all. After that I was too gun shy to get into anything else except for a quick trip over to Mittersill, which I loved.

So I guess my main question is......who the hell can ski The Creek, and how do I get good enough to do that? And how does it compare to Kinsman?

Puck it

Just found out about this board, and wow, what a resource. Awesome stuff.

Skied Cannon for the first time on Tuesday, had a pretty good day. I typically ski BW, Sunapee, or Loon as I've been getting back into it after almost a decade of not skiing (live in Boston, didn't have a car for years), but I've pretty much exhausted all the interesting stuff at those places. BW is my fav out of those, because I love the number and variety of glades. I get that it's not steep at all, but a lot of times I think that's an advantage because the snow stays put. Anyway, in pursuit of more interesting stuff, finally got over to Cannon. Their trails are obviously a lot cooler/more interesting than BW/Sunapee/Loon, but I was a little disappointed in the glades I hit. I skied Lakeview and Echo Woods and found them both kind of limited in potential lines. I could not get to Snowmakers Glade, I think because of some race training. I also couldn't find the Turnpike Glade. I DID manage to find The Creek glade, and that was a humbling experience. I basically made 4-5 turns before having to take off my skis and walk the rest. I kind of could not believe that was a legit ski trail, seemed like it was not even wide enough to turn like, at all. After that I was too gun shy to get into anything else except for a quick trip over to Mittersill, which I loved.

So I guess my main question is......who the hell can ski The Creek, and how do I get good enough to do that? And how does it compare to Kinsman?

The Creek is a slightly tighter glade and similar to others between Lower Hard and Mid Hard The summit glades are a little more open than the new ones like the Creek. Turnpike is off a Stink Street. Very short. Kinsman is not a tight glade at all, but it has some very steep technical sections with some double fall lines. And it keeps coming at you for a long distance probably about a 1000' vert. The whole glad is close 1500-1600' of drop.

HouseQuinn

Awesome, thanks a lot. I figured the other 2 near the Creek would be really similar, seemed like they dump out right at the same spot. I've watched as many videos of Kinsman as I could find, and definitely thought it looked more open, but obviously videos are deceiving, and like I said, was a little hesitant after getting spanked by The Creek. Man, I feel like that mountain totally owned me Tuesday, but all I can think about is going back.

MadMadWorld

The Creek is a slightly tighter glade and similar to others between Lower Hard and Mid Hard The summit glades are a little more open than the new ones like the Creek. Turnpike is off a Stink Street. Very short. Kinsman is not a tight glade at all, but it has some very steep technical sections with some double fall lines. And it keeps coming at you for a long distance probably about a 1000' vert. The whole glad is close 1500-1600' of drop.

Not tight at all? You might be sending someone to their death!

Cannonball

Not tight at all? You might be sending someone to their death!

Good point. I think PuckIt is speaking in relative terms. Kinsman is not extremely tight by Cannon standards. But it is FAR, FAAARR tighter that what most mountains would put on a map. Add in is steepness, double fall line, random blow-downs, and exhaustive vert and you have arguably the toughest marked glad in NE. There are plenty of other marked lines that are tighter or steeper or more technical - but not all at once. Then there are the unmarked ones....

Puck it

Good point. I think PuckIt is speaking in relative terms. Kinsman is not extremely tight by Cannon standards. But it is FAR, FAAARR tighter that what most mountains would put on a map. Add in is steepness, double fall line, random blow-downs, and exhaustive vert and you have arguably the toughest marked glad in NE. There are plenty of other marked lines that are tighter or steeper or more technical - but not all at once. Then there are the unmarked ones....
You got what I was saying.