• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

BodeMiller1

That's a question for mountain management. Not the "state".

I am not following you at all......

Again, no idea what you are talking about.
1. The Department of Resources up on the heights runs Cannon.

2 Good point, file under rambling mumbo Jubo, or Jibber Jabber. My point is, Cannon does not need a new tram. Why pour money into something when you can up grade the thing (Tram).

Do what we did last Time: 1) Make sure the foundations are solid. Replace the haul rope, etc.

3. When Scotty agrees with me, I know I'm right. At least in our little section of Who - Ville.

Respectfully

Bode Miller

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Do what we did last Time: 1) Make sure the foundations are solid. Replace the haul rope, etc.
That has been discussed. It is an option but you can only “upgrade” infrastructure so long. At some point it needs replacing. A new tram would generate a lot of interest and give the parks department something to market. Ultimately it would pay for itself rather quickly I would think. Besides, upgrading is boring. How would you market that exactly? “We‘ve patched up our aging tram again! Come up and see how much longer it can last!”

Fishski

Brown Bag Lunches are bullshit. Most lodges are functioning Food and Beverage centers which are a source of revenue for the mountain. I have zero issues with not allowing brown baggers. That is absolutely something that should be done at your car or a part of the lodge that isn't essentially a restaurant or your car.

As for boot bags I'm fine with allowing it but put your shit on shelf or expect it to not be there when you get back. In PA I always boot up at the car. when I'm up north its a mixed bag. If I do finish getting ready in the lodge I always either put my bag in the bag check, or rent a locker.
I'm a big fan of booting up in the lodge when the the weather is particularly cold and was even more so when my kids were young. Don't mind it as much in the spring and now that my boys are older and can manage their own stuff. Agree that there needs to be designated space for bags and that everyone should use the space that is designated. Have to disagree on the bagged lunch though. I always bring a cooler, (cannon and black too). If I choose to buy the crappy overpriced cafeteria food, that's a choice I can make while there. Restaurants are different as they are actually restaurants. Not my cup of tea as I don't want to wait around for a table and then wait on service while I'm skiing, however, agreed that it's not a place for outside food, beverage, etc. in the restaurant area. And I'm fine with being relegated to the basements!!!

Edd

I don’t want to go 12 rounds over booting in the car vs lodge but western areas tend to be far drier and sunnier than New England, making car booting more pleasant, IMO. The exception here is the Pacific Northwest where I was a regular at Stevens Pass > 20 years ago. We booted in the lodge there, as I recall.

BodeMiller1

That has been discussed. It is an option but you can only “upgrade” infrastructure so long. At some point it needs replacing. A new tram would generate a lot of interest and give the parks department something to market. Ultimately it would pay for itself rather quickly I would think. Besides, upgrading is boring. How would you market that exactly? “We‘ve patched up our aging tram again! Come up and see how much longer it can last!”
Okay agree, they need to do something to stay competitive.

Attachments

• Slide1.jpg
    Slide1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 15

Duke61

Thanks everyone for your lodge opinions..I realize not one size fits all and our experiences are different.....

Just for a change up, here's a Cannon story; We were ski instructors, my buddy (name omitted) see's his school kid group trying to bolt rather than wait at the top of the zoomer lift. BTW this is the zoomer lift that holds 2 people probably.....so he swings out and drops off the lift before the unload, races to the bottom.....his kids could not believe how he got to the bottom fast enough to catch them......

In the end I want to ride the tram, enjoy the historic lodge & it's filthy carpet and eat my hot lunch at my favorite ski area. Change is fine but not all change is for the good..... Rickey, Bill C & Duke I miss you all.

Duke61

Brown Bag Lunches are bullshit. Most lodges are functioning Food and Beverage centers which are a source of revenue for the mountain. I have zero issues with not allowing brown baggers. That is absolutely something that should be done at your car or a part of the lodge that isn't essentially a restaurant or your car.

As for boot bags I'm fine with allowing it but put your shit on shelf or expect it to not be there when you get back. In PA I always boot up at the car. when I'm up north its a mixed bag. If I do finish getting ready in the lodge I always either put my bag in the bag check, or rent a locker.
Respectfully disagree, I'm the thermos queen, its part of the joy of my experience. So maybe you want to buy food at Cannon in the spirit of contributing to the 'revenue center'....I'm the guy with lasagna, tomato soup, coffee, big chunk of french bread, maybe some cheese. When its not blowing sideways we're the crew barbecuing enough food for every skier on the mountain at lunch rocks......stop by when you see us, we always have plenty to share.

I have fond memories of family and hot lunch out of a thermos and I do my best to keep the tradition going. Some of my Cannon heroes aren't around anymore but I'll always have a flannel shirt and some extra in the thermos just in case I can make new friends.

I'm totally cool with keeping away from the vendor spaces & keeping my shit tight and out of your way. BTW if your a NH taxpayer your already subsidizing Cannon and you don't even need to show up.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

Weren’t lodges originally just for skiers to get out of the cold? People brought their lunches as a matter of course. When I was growing up even though cafeteria food was readily available in every lodge I ever visited the prices were so high my mom would not allow us ever to buy ANYTHING. She always brought snacks and lunch. So when did we cross the line into bringing your own lunch is “theft of services“? Prices at lodges were and have always been set at gouging. Is that really necessary? It’s the main reason people bring their own lunches. But also I think the sheer size of the crowds we see and the total disregard for neighbor that has brought about a need to change how we view lodges at large resorts.

I also think that if you’re driving a subcompact luxury car to a ski area and are not willing to pay for a spot to stash your gear inside it’s time to think about buying a van.

Duke61

BTW, anyone else here have a chairlift chair in their yard? I've got two, in the summer I sit in the center pole wildcat double and count the days till ski season. My other chair is from ascutney was probably re-sold to another place, it still sports a Burton snowboard sticker dated 1976......I don't recall burton until about 80...I kick myself for not having a Cannon T bar but thats water under the bridge....

My family wants to institutionalize me but I'm looking for a gondola car. Serious, if you have a gondola car for sale or a lead, reach out!

I'm going to install a beer cooler and gather at 4:20pm and smoke weed like we did in the 70's!
let it snow.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
BTW, anyone else here have a chairlift chair in their yard? I've got two, in the summer I sit in the center pole wildcat double and count the days till ski season. My other chair is from ascutney was probably re-sold to another place, it still sports a Burton snowboard sticker dated 1976......I don't recall burton until about 80...I kick myself for not having a Cannon T bar but thats water under the bridge....

My family wants to institutionalize me but I'm looking for a gondola car. Serious, if you have a gondola car for sale or a lead, reach out!

I'm going to install a beer cooler and gather at 4:20pm and smoke weed like we did in the 70's!
let it snow.
This would be a cool thread idea all by itself.

Duke61

I'm on a Cannon nostalgia trip today, If you knew Hank Dane give him a shout out. Dude is a legitimate Cannon legend never forgotten.

Smellytele

That fucking bullshit elitist point of view on the brown bag. Who wants to eat gross fried food and wilted salads?Most families have a hard enough times paying for the skiing. Maybe if I was a doctor (or dentist) it wouldn’t be a problem.
Try being at your car on a below 10 degree day with 3 kids under 10.
Fucking bullshit!

Duke61

My experience with Cannon is the exact opposite, as they are the place that seems to have the most lodge campers IME. It also seems worse as the lodge at Cannon is TINY. The East Coast lodge mentality is real and ridiculous, you really should just boot up at your car.

In terms of operations, I was at Cannon yesterday. Outside of them continuing to make snow during questionable temperatures I thought it was relatively decent given the recent weather shit sandwich.
I actually love Cannon, despite my posts, regarding snowmaking they have a weird policy, they like to blow snow at skiers during the 6 hours they have paying clients, rather than the other 18 hours. Their other trick is to blow some whales, call the trail open and leave them for a week, or not blow anything and just open avalanche or pollies with grass sticking through.....

ceo

If we're trying to make skiing more affordable and accessible, particularly for families, requiring everyone to shell out $9 for reheated cheeseburgers is the wrong way to go about it. (Full disclosure, I always buy lunch because I'm lazy.)

jimmywilson69

I'm not saying you should buy lodge food but you shouldn't bitch about not being allowed to brown bag in the lodge area that is essentially a restaurant. Do you guys brown bag to regular restaurants? That is what I'm saying.

If Cannon or anywhere else has a part of the lodge that is not in the food and beverage area then have at it. But if I'm visiting somewhere and I decide to buy lunch and I can't find a seat because a bunch of people are brown bagging it that sucks just as bad as someone who's camping out all day in the lodge not even skiing.

Frankly I never spend any money at the lodges, I usually tailgate.

KustyTheKlown

I don’t eat in the lodge ever. Maybe a slice of pizza leaving sugarbush to the south bc I know I won’t encounter food til rutland. It still boils my blood when I see people camped out at lodge tables. Especially when mom of racers is posted up with a tablecloth and a crock pot plugged in. The worst.

Duke61

If we're trying to make skiing more affordable and accessible, particularly for families, requiring everyone to shell out $9 for reheated cheeseburgers is the wrong way to go about it. (Full disclosure, I always buy lunch because I'm lazy.)
A bit OT but I am pleased to see the number of national skier visits grow, I am concerned that only well off folks have that opportunity. Costs remain a problem, a couple years ago picking up my pass I watched dad shell out about 3k for passes and that doesn't include his denali/ski house/ equipment for the kids every year.
Skiing wasn't always elitist, one of the benefits of growing up in the North country is you were sure to learn to ski. All the schools would send kids a day a week every winter. I won't tell Bode's story for him but he is a product of that. Bode's mom worked in the ticket office and Cannon was his daycare. We used his name in vain many times, at 6 or 7 years old he broke every rule and came back the next day for more. Mickey kept an eye on him, as he did on all of us (for those who remember)

cdskier

I'm not saying you should buy lodge food but you shouldn't bitch about not being allowed to brown bag in the lodge area that is essentially a restaurant. Do you guys brown bag to regular restaurants? That is what I'm saying.

If Cannon or anywhere else has a part of the lodge that is not in the food and beverage area then have at it. But if I'm visiting somewhere and I decide to buy lunch and I can't find a seat because a bunch of people are brown bagging it that sucks just as bad as someone who's camping out all day in the lodge not even skiing.

Frankly I never spend any money at the lodges, I usually tailgate.

How are you defining "lodge area that is essentially a restaurant"? The large open areas near the cafeteria in many lodges I wouldn't consider "essentially a restaurant" at all. They are simply places to warm up, relax, etc that happen to have food nearby for sale IF you want it. That's not like a restaurant. Some lodges have separate areas linked to a specific bar or more formal eating area (i.e. Castlerock Pub in Sugarbush for example). That specific area I would agree is like a restaurant, but that's it. Not the entire lodge in general. I have no issues brown bagging in the general lodge areas.

cdskier

I don’t eat in the lodge ever. Maybe a slice of pizza leaving sugarbush to the south bc I know I won’t encounter food til rutland. It still boils my blood when I see people camped out at lodge tables. Especially when mom of racers is posted up with a tablecloth and a crock pot plugged in. The worst.

There's a big difference between people brown bagging a sandwich and leaving the table/seat when they're done eating/warming up vs people that take over entire tables and setup crock pots for an entire day. Taking up entire tables and setting up crock pots is crossing a line...that I'd have no issues with ski areas not allowing.