• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

t-to-b

Just read Jon DeVivo is moving on and west to Antelope Butte in WY. No word on his replacement at Cannon.
They also lost their marketing director (promoted within NH State Parks) a few months ago and haven't announced a replacement yet.

Hawk

Interesting. He is going to a 1000 vert small area in the middle of nowhere. He must be fed up with the situation here in NE and wants out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Who knows. He wasn't paid very much for the Cannon job. I believe under 6 figures. Been there many many years. Probably just wanted a change and new challenge.

snoseek

That's pretty low but state jobs offer excellent benefits.

machski

Interesting. He is going to a 1000 vert small area in the middle of nowhere. He must be fed up with the situation here in NE and wants out.
Here's the link to the SAM article:

ceo

I can't imagine that gig pays much more than Cannon. Likely lower cost of living though.

DeVivo100

Just read Jon DeVivo is moving on and west to Antelope Butte in WY. No word on his replacement at Cannon.
That’s me, I’m JD… no need for anyone to speculate. Great rebuild challenge, great mission, great change of scenery, great future prospects, and far better financials. Pretty simple. No slight on anyone. Love my team and family @ FNSP-Cannon, and I’ve loved every minute of my time here. We’ve accomplished a helluva lot together over these 16 years, and now it’s time for me to start on my third 16-year career. As for my replacement, we’re working on an interim plan, and we’ve also got some great new people in our Director of Sales & Marketing (outside hire), Patrol Director (promotion), and Snowsports School Director (promotion) positions.

machski

That’s me, I’m JD… no need for anyone to speculate. Great rebuild challenge, great mission, great change of scenery, great future prospects, and far better financials. Pretty simple. No slight on anyone. Love my team and family @ FNSP-Cannon, and I’ve loved every minute of my time here. We’ve accomplished a helluva lot together over these 16 years, and now it’s time for me to start on my third 16-year career. As for my replacement, we’re working on an interim plan, and we’ve also got some great new people in our Director of Sales & Marketing (outside hire), Patrol Director (promotion), and Snowsports School Director (promotion) positions.
Congrats and good luck on the new opportunity!

jaytrem

Congrats, cool place out there! Was there last year for a day. Probably the best powder day of the year.

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

I would imagine hiring snowmakers on a small budget, in a massive labor shortage, would be a thankless job. Employers still think that if we go into an official recession, the job market will be a buyers market. It's a smaller labor market out there and wages may continue to rise despite a recession.
Also the advanced age of the rest of the lifts (not the tram) and buildings etc. Cannon's infrastructure looks like it's aging.

Smellytele

Congratulations Mr. DeVivo on your move. Couple comments on past/present; If we're only running lifts 60% due to labor, why aren't lift operators being paid more? Same with Ski School, if we don't teach skiing soon they'll be no skiers ! I'll bet $28hr or state benefits would pull some folks in? I want to compliment Mr. DeVivo on being at the helm during the reclamation of Mittersill, really great job.
I'd like to see the entire ski patrol shown the door. 4 years ago I was creamed by an adult boarder on opening day (rock garden), I'm 235lbs & was tossed about 40ft over the berm off the trail, tore my rotator cuff, guy asked if I was ok, then bolted.
I reported it to the ski patrol and not only didn't the patrol care, he told me I was doing pretty good having got down unassisted. I asked why there are zero patrol on the mountain,.......he said management didn't want patrol to enforce safety and certainly not pull a ticket....

So here's to hoping the new GM will get staffed up, groom the entire trail not just the center & tell the patrol to put down their coffee and get out as a visible presence. I don't want to ask too much but running the tram for the everyday skiers might be nice too.
Cheers.
Thumbs down on grooming the whole trail, Go to fucking Loon! Also Ski patrol thing - Go to Fucking Loon!

thetrailboss

Staff member