• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Zand

Is the snow report correct in that they run the T-Bar instead of the Double at Mittersill on weekdays? What gives with that?

Zand

Yes, that's true. Similar reasoning why the Tram doesn't run in weekdays.
The Tram is 100% redundant though. Using the T-Bar instead of the double cuts out at least 30% of Mittersill unless you hike the saddle. Plus there isn't the whole cost saving excuse they have with not running the tram.

Smellytele

I was there yesterday and the skiing was great probably the best in a few years. Skied Kinsman, DJ's, Lost boys, Whisky, Go green, Candyland and echo woods. Also a couple of hidden gems. upper and Middle Hardscrabble were quad burners. Didn't get to ski gunsight or tuckerbrook as I was by myself and didn't want to chance it. sold out but i avoided the crowds for the most part except 1 run at Zoomer and 2 over at mittersil. No singles line any where on the mountain yesterday (obviously not needed at Mittersil but found some singles further up the line. Even the tram was really only a one tram wait (7 minutes). Got in line when the other was loading and then when that one goes they let you in to the tram dock.,

Former Sunday Rivah Rat

Since Jace Wirth has taken over the mountain really went downhill fast. It seems like the grooming has been horrible and inconsistent the past few weeks. Today was incredibly busy. Every senior citizen in NH and half the massholes showed up. No mittersill lift, no Eagle Cliff, no tram. A total shitshow with long lift lines and shitty grooming.
Greg Keeler was the best GM they have had ...WTF???

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
Since Jace Wirth has taken over the mountain really went downhill fast. It seems like the grooming has been horrible and inconsistent the past few weeks. Today was incredibly busy. Every senior citizen in NH and half the massholes showed up. No mittersill lift, no Eagle Cliff, no tram. A total shitshow with long lift lines and shitty grooming.
He is only an interim GM? Right?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sounds like a Vail-caliber manager. If his background is in F&B then he would be Vail Resort management material. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Puck it

He does not take over until end of April. Get your facts right. Mittersill is not open due to staffing issues still. Tram shutdown because last day was Sunday.

Greg did not want the job and he was actually gone on vacation for a couple weeks in Feb. I think.

Zand

I should've checked the forecast for today...

At home the forecast was 37 today and it was like 32-34 and misting all the way up 93 to about Plymouth, then from there to the base it shot up to 52 with lots of sun.

Dying out here today 😆

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I should've checked the forecast for today...

At home the forecast was 37 today and it was like 32-34 and misting all the way up 93 to about Plymouth, then from there to the base it shot up to 52 with lots of sun.

Dying out here today 😆
Sun? I quit skiing at Ragged around 11 due to driving heavy mist.

Why am I always in the wrong place?

Zand

Sun? I quit skiing at Ragged around 11 due to driving heavy mist.

Why am I always in the wrong place?
It was strange for sure. Whole ride up and ride back involved lots of heavy mist and temps in the 30s. From Plymouth on north were in their own microclimate. It did get cloudy and a bit cooler after 2:30, but still 10 degrees warmer than points south.

Only skied about 4 hours today including a rather long lunch break. With all the natural snow on the mountain, the sun and warm temps really softened things up today and skiing anything that wasn't super tracked out was a struggle. Upper mountain glades mostly good with a few bony areas. Woods past Hardscrabble were pretty ugly, that 30 inches of snow is getting cut down pretty quick. Ungroomed bumps in well traveled areas were a lot of fun.

Spent a few runs in the Zoomer area which was decent on the snowmaking trails. Liftline was too soft to turn in. Groomers very sticky all over.

Kind of a weird day and not my favorite day ever. The snow is in that weird purgatory where it's soft and sticky but not spring corn yet. I didn't get over to Kinsman because just the relatively short summit glades required a lot of effort, and 1500 vertical of that would've been a hell of a time plus the slog back to the chair. Didn't get over to Mittersill either.

PXL_20240326_164008624.jpg
Summit woods mostly in good shape. Definitely some crap spots popping up but should last through the weekend anyway.

PXL_20240326_165946213.jpg
Tons of soft bumps all over the hill, with some bare spots starting to pop out on the natural stuff.

PXL_20240326_191737900.jpg
Wicked Haaahd living up to its name. Lots of rocks and roots to avoid, snow too soft to turn in, and lots of huffing puffing and sweating. Middle Hardscrabble was fun afterwards, but the runout was a killer today.

PXL_20240326_194454266.jpg
Zoomer Liftline was soft as baby shit. Tough on the knees. I had more fun in the bumps on snowmaking trails like Rocket and Paulie's which at least had some base to slide on underneath.