• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Puck it

From the Cannon Snow Report page

There are a couple points of note for today. Firstly, the Mittersill lift will only operate on weekends for the remainder of the season, but the Mittersill terrain remains OPEN during that time. There is still very good coverage, but again, no lift or shuttle service will be available from the Mittersill base on weekdays, so please make appropriate plans while skiing/riding over there.

WTF!

Cannonball

From the Cannon Snow Report page

There are a couple points of note for today. Firstly, the Mittersill lift will only operate on weekends for the remainder of the season, but the Mittersill terrain remains OPEN during that time. There is still very good coverage, but again, no lift or shuttle service will be available from the Mittersill base on weekdays, so please make appropriate plans while skiing/riding over there.

WTF!

Best news I've heard all season. Back to the good old days when the fresh stuff stuck around for more than an hour. Now we lust need some fresh stuff...

Puck it

Best news I've heard all season. Back to the good old days when the fresh stuff stuck around for more than an hour. Now we lust need some fresh stuff...

I agree. Skins are in the truck for the hoof back if needed. Where is Threecy when you need him?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The mad dash to open the lifts to start the season *at all costs* then the early closure.
It's all about marketing. The earlier an area opens the better people feel about booking their Christmas vacations there. Once the holidays are over there's no more money in it any more.

Cannonball

I agree. Skins are in the truck for the hoof back if needed. Where is Threecy when you need him?

We all skied Mittersill for decades without worrying about getting back. If anything the cutbacks are easier now.

Trams not open mid mid week anyway right?

It's open Friday-Monday. Closed Tues-Thurs. But as said it will be closing soon. Not sure what date.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Was thinking to have this Saturday be my "big return" to skiing. By big I mean a tucker brook family area only ticket and a bulletproof helmet, and learning turns all over again.

Then today I got today some news that Cannon powers that be are telling employees that my accident was "my fault" and not their problem. Now, this is angering on all accounts given I have bee the biggest Cannon supporter even though they were negligent, and I was just standing there, and all their ski patrol and lift lines saw it. Truly, Cannon management are TERRIBLE people. You demand lift opens at all costs even though it is covered in ice and doesn't run right and your employee gets hurt on her first day, and you talk sh$t about them? TERRIBLE people!!

I will never ski at Cannon again. And no longer care how small this mountain town is. People can talk all they want, I will hold my head up high, and they can look right at it-at it my GI Jane crewcut and my 15cm scars and know that its CANNON'S fault.

?????????

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

freeski

Stephanie:
Did Cannon give you any training were they mentioned a danger from ice falling? Where you aware of the danger when you were under the ice? Hope you do not mind me asking these questions. I was going to ask in the previous thread, but now that some time has passed maybe they are not too intrusive.
Could you give an update on what Cannon did or did not do for you and their reasons? I would think that they have a legal obligation to cover all medical expenses and reimburse you for recovery time. Even if they do not have a full legal obligation there is no question they have a moral one which it sounds like they did not live up to. I'd go to NH1 and WMUR and tell them your story. I love Cannon, but am disappointed in how they have handled your injury. I hope all turns out well.

Edit: Write your Executive Council representative and I'd even write to Governor Hassan. The people making the local decisions may be going by the book, but it seems there are extenuating circumstances here and I would not be surprised if one of the politicians will go to bat for you.

Last edited:

MadMadWorld

Stephanie:
Did Cannon give you any training were they mentioned a danger from ice falling? Where you aware of the danger when you were under the ice? Hope you do not mind me asking these questions. I was going to ask in the previous thread, but now that some time has passed maybe they are not too intrusive.
Could you give an update on what Cannon did or did not do for you and their reasons? I would think that they have a legal obligation to cover all medical expenses and reimburse you for recovery time. Even if they do not have a full legal obligation there is no question they have a moral one which it sounds like they did not live up to. I'd go to NH1 and WMUR and tell them your story. I love Cannon, but am disappointed in how they have handled your injury. I hope all turns out well.

Edit: Write your Executive Council representative and I'd even write to Governor Hassan. The people making the local decisions may be going by the book, but it seems there are extenuating circumstances here and I would not be surprised if one of the politicians will go to bat for you.

From my knowledge I believe the national steel workers union successfully unionized several lift operators at resorts and maintenance staff. I'd consider reaching out to a union like that. Blah now I have to go take a shower. That was way to liberal of me.

freeski

Well you have a lawyer, I sincerely hope he can make things right. I would reach out to your executive councilor though. Too bad Ray Burton is not around I think he may have helped. He had a reputation for getting involved. Keep us posted, from the previous thread a lot of Cannon skiers are very interested in the mountain being fair to you.
Kind Regards

Cannonball

Unfortunately I can't say I'm surprised. Cannon has a track record of blatant disregard for safety and their own liability when it comes to their paying customers. So it's no surprise that they'd be even worse with their employees. I have personally called them about safety issues and I know many others who have as well. In all cases JD has shrugged it off at best, and at worst he's actually become hostile and dismissive with the person raising the issue.

There's a certain mindset of "that's just Cannon being Cannon". I often fall into that too. But when it personally F's up your life and health, that doesn't exactly cut it.

I hope you don't give up on this out of frustration or intimidation. You are right, they are wrong. That's a fact. Keep us posted. We want to know.

BTW Loon was pretty nice today. People were actually out working on the ramps at the top and bottom. I've never seen that at Cannon. Loon might get my season pass money next year.

Puck it

BTW Loon was pretty nice today. People were actually out working on the ramps at the top and bottom. I've never seen that at Cannon. Loon might get my season pass money next year.

The lifties at the bottom of Cannonball and Zoomer do a good job with the load areas. But you are right. There is never anyone working on the unload ramps.