• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Have not skied Cannon in the new-Mittersill era, but I'm sure this trail naming is for ski patrol. How do you say "yeah I broke my leg can you send a sled to...ummmm...uhhh...I'm on the trail with the big pine tree by that rock....."

ThinkSnow

Have not skied Cannon in the new-Mittersill era, but I'm sure this trail naming is for ski patrol. How do you say "yeah I broke my leg can you send a sled to...ummmm...uhhh...I'm on the trail with the big pine tree by that rock....."

Not necessarily. Patrols frequently give their trails numbers. This way if a radio call is overheard, Patrol will know the location, and won't attract unnecessary onlookers.

Puck it

The current trail all ready shows some of the off map stuff on Cannon for example "Bear Gut" even "Obvious" is there if you know where to look. The glades at Mittersill are drawn in like the "Birches". These will be name along with the many others this year. Soon, Cannon will be able to claim more runs than Bretton Woods.

freeski

Not necessarily. Patrols frequently give their trails numbers. This way if a radio call is overheard, Patrol will know the location, and won't attract unnecessary onlookers.
You're missing SS20's point. He's saying if someone is hurt it will be easier to report the location to ski patrol. If this boosts Cannon's trail count to the highest in NH then more marketing power to them.

Puck it

You're missing SS20's point. He's saying if someone is hurt it will be easier to report the location to ski patrol. If this boosts Cannon's trail count to the highest in NH then more marketing power to them.
You are missing point, it was in response others posts. The trails are already on the map without names.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've got over 400 days at Cannon. Before the lift I only skied Barons. I probably have a thirst for a higher degree of detail. Also, Cannon needs to increase skier visits to earn more money to keep improving. There is no argument that a first time Cannon skier will have a better experience if they can find their way around. There is always the south side and the mountains across the street.

I had zero trouble finding my way around Mittersill without a map. For an advanced skier, it's quite simple. Maybe lower level skiers would struggle, but that's not the type of skier Mittersill was supposed to be for.

Naming the trails will only bring more people over there and beat up the snow conditions faster than it already happens. You may find your way around easier, but the conditions will be worse.

ThinkSnow

Upon re-reading, I did miss the point of reporting TO ski patrol-- perhaps because someone with a broken leg is rarely the person reporting the injury. However, my point was the trail naming therefore isn't for Ski Patrol-- its for the guests.

yeggous

Upon re-reading, I did miss the point of reporting TO ski patrol-- perhaps because someone with a broken leg is rarely the person reporting the injury. However, my point was the trail naming therefore isn't for Ski Patrol-- its for the guests.

I think the Ski Patrol aspect is really important. You need to be able to describe where your buddy went down.

freeski

I had zero trouble finding my way around Mittersill without a map. For an advanced skier, it's quite simple. Maybe lower level skiers would struggle, but that's not the type of skier Mittersill was supposed to be for.

Naming the trails will only bring more people over there and beat up the snow conditions faster than it already happens. You may find your way around easier, but the conditions will be worse.
I often think you try to be confrontational to get viewership up. Let's face it you're paid to be on here and get paid for hits. I think you're probably a better skier than I am, but not by much. In general conservatives are better skiers than Liberals and this is based on extensive well documented studies. I used to think you were a pretty good guy, but you obviously hold grudges and hate Catholics.

DoublePlanker

Pain in the ass to actually get to Mittersill. Pain in the ass to find the cut over to get back to the base of the lift without having to hike. Not easy for a first timer to get around. I don't see the problem with naming some runs and adding some signs. The entire place shouldn't be a secret. OK to have a bunch of secret areas especially if folks worked on them.

Also had the lift shut off on me. Had to hike back to the tuckerbrook.

Tin

I used to think you were a pretty good guy, but you obviously hold grudges and hate Catholics.

Here is his latest FB profile picture. I hate New Hampshire Seacoast Nazis.

henry-gibson.jpg

deadheadskier

Staff member
I often think you try to be confrontational to get viewership up. Let's face it you're paid to be on here and get paid for hits. I think you're probably a better skier than I am, but not by much. In general conservatives are better skiers than Liberals and this is based on extensive well documented studies. I used to think you were a pretty good guy, but you obviously hold grudges and hate Catholics.

I'm paid to be on here? ROFL

I get paid for hits?

:lol:

Yeah no

I happen to disagree with you on this subject matter. When the lift was proposed, it was sold as lift serviced backcountry to gain support. It has become anything but. It was a lie. That's what I don't like.

And you're an absolute idiot if you think I hate Catholics. I come from a large Irish Catholic family. I don't practice myself, but I don't hate them.

Lol on the conservative vs liberal ski off study.

Wow

freeski

1. Why would someone bother? 2. lets see this research. Got a link?
Parts or all of that post were fabricated, other parts were stretching the truth and not intended to provide authenticated facts. There is no way you thought those studies existed. In other words, I am unable to provide a link at this time.

wa-loaf

I haven't been following this thread very closely, but you guys need to get outside.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
oh man, I could not disagree more

It's the complete jumping of the shark. Mittersill was sold as "lift serviced back country". It's bad enough what they've done in turning their backs on that promise and putting in race training venues, but now to add all of it back on the map? pretty lame

I regret ever being in favor of the double going in. Glad I got to experience it briefly when it was hike to only.
Cannon never - NEVER - intended Mittersill to be "backcountry". The master plan, dating back some 15 years, had snowmaking and grooming on the table. If they truly wanted a backcountry experience they never would have put a lift in.

You won't see this on Mittersill for a long time.
Leftovers on Mittersill by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cannon never - NEVER - intended Mittersill to be "backcountry". The master plan, dating back some 15 years, had snowmaking and grooming on the table. If they truly wanted a backcountry experience they never would have put a lift in.

You won't see this on Mittersill for a long time.
Leftovers on Mittersill by Bob Misuraca, on Flickr

I seem to recall Cannon staff (John D) stating that nothing would change at Mittersill with the new lift going in. I recall many purists being upset about the chair going in as the area would be ruined from what it was and that the folks at Cannon assured them that that wouldn't be the case.

http://www.onthesnow.com/news/a/8884/cannon-mountain-offers-backcountry-skiing-at-mittersill