• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

skiberg

I am starting to get worried. If lake is spring fed, why has it not filled back up? This could completely screw the season.

Tin

Pic of lake

attachment.php

586.jpg

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
I am starting to get worried. If lake is spring fed, why has it not filled back up? This could completely screw the season.
That new aerial imagery was from the latter half of September and they weren't even completely done the work. The average depth of the Lake is only 14' for the almost 40 acre lake with a very small watershed. It looks like they dropped the level by a couple feet.
If they finished work in the early part of October, the lake has only had a little over a month to recover >1/7 of its total volume while still maintaining some level of outflow during a rather dry fall.

Quick look at rainfall totals and they are not far off from last year.
Year to date not too far off. However the last 3 months have been rather low.

mbedle

It looks like it is actually feed by Pemigewasset River. Somebody go up to Profile Lake and kick out a few stones in the outfall..... lol In all seriousness, I highly doubt that the project would have been undertaken after a date that it would not be possible to have the lake filled to capacity for snowmaking. Given why they were doing the replacement, I would guess that was a well thought out issue.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
It looks like it is actually feed by Pemigewasset River. Somebody go up to Profile Lake and kick out a few stones in the outfall..... lol In all seriousness, I highly doubt that the project would have been undertaken after a date that it would not be possible to have the lake filled to capacity for snowmaking. Given why they were doing the replacement, I would guess that was a well thought out issue.

The watershed division is roughly between the Tram and the Old Man Vistor's Center. Profile Lake drains east into the Pemi River while Echo Lake drains west toward the CT river.

The refilling the lake likely wouldn't have been a problem if rainfall would have been at least 50% of normal or better during the last several months.

How did you get a date for when the aerial was taken?
The Google Earth desktop program displays the imagery date. You can actually cycle back through older imagery as well.

skiberg

I have heard they have less than 10 days of snowmaking capacity in the lake right now. If this is true its an utter disaster. They blew snow for 60 freaking days straight on Lower Cannon alone last year.

mbedle

The watershed division is roughly between the Tram and the Old Man Vistor's Center. Profile Lake drains east into the Pemi River while Echo Lake drains west toward the CT river.

The refilling the lake likely wouldn't have been a problem if rainfall would have been at least 50% of normal or better during the last several months.

The Google Earth desktop program displays the imagery date. You can actually cycle back through older imagery as well.

I totally missed the change in topography on that. Thanks for the correction.

mbedle

I have heard they have less than 10 days of snowmaking capacity in the lake right now. If this is true its an utter disaster. They blew snow for 60 freaking days straight on Lower Cannon alone last year.

I think you need to take a deep breath and calm down about this. For all we know, the lake is filled and everything is going to be fine. Have some faith in these guys, pretty sure they looked at all possibilities and what the consequences would have been if they lacked snowmaking capacity. It is also possible that since they had to install some sort of bypass, when the dam was being reconstructed and raise (to keep flow to the downgradient stream), maybe they have some leeway this year for what levels need to be maintained in the lake.

freeski

I drove by the long pond. the Concord water supply. Couldn't believe how low it was. I'm not worried about Cannon though. This rain storm should drop at least an inch up there and they'll be fine.

skiberg

Take a deep breath?? Calm Down?? By god ski season is here, I am not thinking clearly anymore. Neurosis is setting in. Daily weather checks will soon become hourly.
Ill take some pics on Sat and see what's up.

JimG.

Staff member
Take a deep breath?? Calm Down?? By god ski season is here, I am not thinking clearly anymore. Neurosis is setting in. Daily weather checks will soon become hourly.

I like your attitude. Getting twitchy here too.

mbedle

I really didn't mean to offend you by that comment. Look, whatever the condition is, its not like we can do anything about it.