• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Smellytele

I'd guess the tram costs more to operate. Look at the haul rope, it's got to be 3 times the size of the quad. When they start the tram up the building shakes the quad just whines like a sewing machine. Even though the quad runs nonstop I still think it would be cheaper to run. Plus, the lodge is better. I've never parked in the tram parking lot.

I always parked in the tram lot when I had a season pass or really by the zoomer chair. tried to avoid peabody if I could

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I really wish I could contribute something useful to this thread as Cannon is my favorite mountain in New England. I had a season pass back in 06-07 and get back two or three times a season. I have skied Mittersill a few times before the chair went in (none since).

I can add this, however: Powder Magazine ran an article called The Secret East which featured among other Mittersill with photos of Stacey Ratchdorf hucking those cliffs off Bypass. I thought at the time "This chick can rip! She'd kick my a$$." He showed up in Plymouth one year at a Meathead screening and to say the very least I was surprised. Anyway - a couple years later he signed my magazine.

Puck it

I really wish I could contribute something useful to this thread as Cannon is my favorite mountain in New England. I had a season pass back in 06-07 and get back two or three times a season. I have skied Mittersill a few times before the chair went in (none since).

I can add this, however: Powder Magazine ran an article called The Secret East which featured among other Mittersill with photos of Stacey Ratchdorf hucking those cliffs off Bypass. I thought at the time "This chick can rip! She'd kick my a$$." He showed up in Plymouth one year at a Meathead screening and to say the very least I was surprised. Anyway - a couple years later he signed my magazine.
The lines that you are talking about I think are further south in the notch out by Gunsight.

AdironRider

I wouldn't have a clue which lift if more expensive to run. There are many factors. Horsepower of the engines and fuel requirements, staffing, wear and tear repair costs. No idea

The tram in Jackson is by far the most expensive lift to run, and its capital costs are huge. Think 6 to 10 times more expensive that the most amazing high speed chair out there. I believe the Jackson tram cost upwards of 35 million when it was all said and done, ten years ago.

Also the haul ropes for trams are a different beast, there's only like one or two guys in the whole world that are qualified to work on them. But thats a once every couple year expense.

Not sure on the actual electric per lift ride up though, but its not as simple as its only on when the tram is actually running.

AdironRider

right. wouldn't it still be idling as long as it's in service?

Kinda sorta. Like any electric motor its going to draw less juice when it isn't actually moving cars, but the motors are still a huge draw and somewhat running for the upwards of three braking systems, internal controls, etc.

Its something like a 1000hp equivalent electric motor just to run the hydro system that controls just one of the braking systems for the tram out here. Pretty impressive to see that room when its running.

granite

I'd guess the tram costs more to operate. Look at the haul rope, it's got to be 3 times the size of the quad. When they start the tram up the building shakes the quad just whines like a sewing machine. Even though the quad runs nonstop I still think it would be cheaper to run. Plus, the lodge is better. I've never parked in the tram parking lot.

Freeski, Freeski, Freeski..............you've never parked in the tram lot? Don't you know that first tram is at 8:15 am and gets you to summit before the rest of the lifts even open at 8:30? We'll have to set you right this winter my friend!

If the trams on time you can ski two runs by 8:30.

freeski

Freeski, Freeski, Freeski..............you've never parked in the tram lot? Don't you know that first tram is at 8:15 am and gets you to summit before the rest of the lifts even open at 8:30? We'll have to set you right this winter my friend!

If the trams on time you can ski two runs by 8:30.
I know about the 8:15. I park in one of the first couple of rows and go to the Notchview lodge. Get coffee and dress. Take one of the first chairs on Quad and go to the top on Cannonball. Take one run on the top and have breakfast and another coffee then ski. I remember one year I went over to the tram the last day it was open because I hadn't been on it all year. I'm open to new things though.

Cannonball

I know about the 8:15. I park in one of the first couple of rows and go to the Notchview lodge. Get coffee and dress. Take one of the first chairs on Quad and go to the top on Cannonball. Take one run on the top and have breakfast and another coffee then ski. I remember one year I went over to the tram the last day it was open because I hadn't been on it all year. I'm open to new things though.

I do like coffee and breakfast. Most important meal of the day and all. But have you considered having breakfast before the lifts open? I know it sounds crazy but all that untracked, early morning snow is kind of a nice thing. Just say'n...

freeski

I do like coffee and breakfast. Most important meal of the day and all. But have you considered having breakfast before the lifts open? I know it sounds crazy but all that untracked, early morning snow is kind of a nice thing. Just say'n...
10 minutes in and out. No one is there. Quick breakfast sandwich, guzzle coffee, see a man about a horse and off to skylight (no one there either).

freeski

Fair enough. Hopefully see you over a coffee and Skylight one of these mornings.
Yes, thank you. One of the reasons I joined this board was to meet some of you Cannon regulars. I've been pretty active on K-Zone, but I just don't get to Killington often. Killington is 100 miles, Cannon 72 and I ski mostly on weekends and K gets so crowded you might as well be at Loon.