• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

witch hobble

Better to keep the old folks busy skiing, where we know they're safe. That way they're off the roads and the internet.

Dickc

At 9:15 Wednesday night the NH House overwhelmingly voted to reinstate free skiing for our seniors at Cannon. The House Ways and Means Committee determined there would be NO increased revenue by taking away this privilege that's been on the books since 1973.
What age do they define seniors at. Is it the usual 65?

skiberg

The ability to blow snow properly is the entire reason FSC paid to upgrade the compressor a few years back. With the new compressor, the ability to use snowmaking properly should not be an issue

skiberg

All right let me clarify. Cannon will still have the ability to screw snowmaking up, but they will have sufficient power to blow snow notwithstanding.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
From photographer Peter Szawlowski https://www.flickr.com/photos/5-points/

26466916213_8c5f5ae2b9_b.jpg

skiberg

I don't think they will need to increase staff that much if at all. I just hope they can figure out a regular and effective plan for snowmaking. I just cant figure out why they don't upload/download us on the tram and spin the summit quad. It just seems like the most cost effective way to maintain early season snow. Work their way down from there as it gets cold.

They can put the guns on. Usually its a week or so prior to turkey day, so maybe its just never going to work because they can generally blow near the bottom by that point anyhow. Also, they need to get approval to blow earlier than normal.

dlague

I don't think they will need to increase staff that much if at all. I just hope they can figure out a regular and effective plan for snowmaking. I just cant figure out why they don't upload/download us on the tram and spin the summit quad. It just seems like the most cost effective way to maintain early season snow. Work their way down from there as it gets cold.

They can put the guns on. Usually its a week or so prior to turkey day, so maybe its just never going to work because they can generally blow near the bottom by that point anyhow. Also, they need to get approval to blow earlier than normal.

Kind of Killingtonesque! However, you are right since they do not open super early they can generally make snow off the Peabody lift and Eagle Cliff lift which is probably more cost effective. However, I would prefer the top opened first.

JDMRoma

Now if they could get those old guns to shoot snow instead of rain we'd be all set ! I don't know how they can blow rain when it's seriously Damn cold. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Now if they could get those old guns to shoot snow instead of rain we'd be all set ! I don't know how they can blow rain when it's seriously Damn cold. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Not mixing get enough air. Then again maybe they want ice early to build base? But this past season that strategy failed miserably.

SIKSKIER

. I just cant figure out why they don't upload/download us on the tram and spin the summit quad. It just seems like the most cost effective way to maintain early season snow. Work their way down from there as it gets cold.

They have done that in the past.I cant remember the year but I have an Oct 31st ticket somewhere from that year.You could'nt get your season pass yet so they gave you a ticket.

xwhaler

Have said it for many yrs----if Cannon was serious about offering early/late season ops the Tram and Summit quad provides a really ideal setup by East Coast Standards.
Combine the elevation, lift setup, exposure, highway access, + the $ stream from F+B up top and I think they could do very well.

I doubt they ever would get serious about this with the state running the show but it's interesting to think about.

skiberg

I ski at Killington almost every year very early and most years its a total Pain in the ass. Walking etc. You would never need to walk at cannon. Also, there are always people skiing at K when I go. I really think they could make money at it. The proximity to Boston etc., makes sense. It has to be something with the State.

raisingarizona

I ski at Killington almost every year very early and most years its a total Pain in the ass. Walking etc. You would never need to walk at cannon. Also, there are always people skiing at K when I go. I really think they could make money at it. The proximity to Boston etc., makes sense. It has to be something with the State.

Walking? Jeezus man, I would rather die.

skiberg

It is worth it even though it's a pain. By Late October early November I would walk up the whole access road to ski if I had to. That is precisely why I think it would work at Cannon. At that time of year, the hardcore skier will do just about anything to get on snow and Cannon could provide access quite efficiently.