Cannon Lover's Thread - Page 8

AlpineZone

Page 8 of 233 FirstFirst ... 6789101858108 ... LastLast

rotated that for you

Attached Images Attached Images
    "man you make it look so fluid"

I love Cannon. I love the snow goblins in the winter and the bears in the summer. I've swam in both lakes and the Basin. I've had passes in the past, but this year want to hit some of the other places I like: Killington, Sunday River, Wildcat and Saddleback (for the first time). I've skied Cannon since the T-bars up top and the old tram and hiked around the woods front and back.
    When they put in the Tuckerbrook area I hiked up to check out how they built the trails and encountered a very large bear. He was twenty yards away, but scared the hell out of me even though he never looked at me. One cool thing about the mountain is the notch. I've seen it snow so hard that the road is closed and they hold up traffic and have caravans follow a plow and fire truck through. Yep, I love Cannon.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    make snow not war
    Waterville Valley, bought to be sold

Cool weather this morning up in the Notch.

I left Lancaster this morning and there was barely a cloud in the sky. Bluebird day, calm winds. Twin Mountains and that range were totally in the clear, but as you looked to the right, clouding was still looming over the Notch.

Pulled over as I get about 3-4 miles away at a Franconia exit and the wind was whipping and you could see the air mass in the Notch better.

Pulled off again at Echo Lake to find the clouds in the Notch stacking up into a black mass, but zero rain/moisture as I drove through later

You can't tell because the picture is static, but the clouds were racing down the slopes at a fast rate of speed, almost like a wave coming over the mountain. Once they reached about the level of Zoomer though, the clouds vanished in thin air and didn't advance any further. Tried to grab a vid with the iPhone, but it came out pretty crappy.

When I got through the Notch I pulled over in Lincoln and took a picture looking back. It was partly cloudy in the Lincoln area and all the clouds seemed to be getting sucked right into the Notch to stack up and spill over the other side. Zero wind at all at this location. By the time I got to Plymouth, there was barely a cloud in the sky again.

Sorry, all I had was a cell phone. I'm not much of a photographer, but figured the Cannon fans would appreciate a few picks none the less.

The saying is that the all of the wind for New England funnels thru the notch.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Cool weather this morning up in the Notch.

I left Lancaster this morning and there was barely a cloud in the sky. Bluebird day, calm winds. Twin Mountains and that range were totally in the clear, but as you looked to the right, clouding was still looming over the Notch.

Pulled over as I get about 3-4 miles away at a Franconia exit and the wind was whipping and you could see the air mass in the Notch better.

Pulled off again at Echo Lake to find the clouds in the Notch stacking up into a black mass, but zero rain/moisture as I drove through later

You can't tell because the picture is static, but the clouds were racing down the slopes at a fast rate of speed, almost like a wave coming over the mountain. Once they reached about the level of Zoomer though, the clouds vanished in thin air and didn't advance any further. Tried to grab a vid with the iPhone, but it came out pretty crappy.

When I got through the Notch I pulled over in Lincoln and took a picture looking back. It was partly cloudy in the Lincoln area and all the clouds seemed to be getting sucked right into the Notch to stack up and spill over the other side. Zero wind at all at this location. By the time I got to Plymouth, there was barely a cloud in the sky again.

Sorry, all I had was a cell phone. I'm not much of a photographer, but figured the Cannon fans would appreciate a few picks none the less.
    This is what you saw http://www.aviationweather.ws/099_Mo...ve_Soaring.php

Happens alot over Wildcat, Was there a bunch of years ago , Mt washington covered in clouds, clear in the valley all day and clouds boiling up slope 3/4 way up snow flurries of and on.
    Awsome from above , although I havent seen Mount washington first hand

Cannon is my home mountain. The biggest problem I have though is they open late and close early. If they wanted to, they could be the KING of fall and spring. Cannonball from the summit to the bottom of the Cannonball Lift with its elevation, north facing slope and snow making capability could be open from October to June every year.

I'm pretty sure every mountain homer is 100% positive their respective mountain could open first and close last, every year.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

But only the Xanadu homer would be right!

Quote Originally Posted by granite View Post
    Cannon is my home mountain. The biggest problem I have though is they open late and close early. If they wanted to, they could be the KING of fall and spring. Cannonball from the summit to the bottom of the Cannonball Lift with its elevation, north facing slope and snow making capability could be open from October to June every year.
    Discussed way to many times before.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I'm pretty sure every mountain homer is 100% positive their respective mountain could open first and close last, every year.
    In this case it's true. Not only do they have the mountain as Granite said, but they are close enough to Boston and central to enough of New England for it to be financial feasible. I always hear run the tram to the top. No, the tram is too expensive; you can take the Peabody Quad up and down to the upper mountain (no walking). You've got 7 unique trails up top so you would have an advantage over other early openers. When you look at snow retention and access to skiers Cannon is the best mountain in New England for early and late season. I'd like to see them at least try one year.
    make snow not war
    Waterville Valley, bought to be sold

Thread Information