• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Los

Skylite has has snowmaking for a long time.The only place where snowmaking was added where it didn't exist before was on Taft Slalom and Taft race slope at Mittersill.And they pretty much made snow every year on Taft by pulling hose from Ravine.Everywhere else has had a huge upgrade to HKD and Snowlogic towers.
You are correct though that Skylite was only open a few days last year.That was due to having constantly resurface the main routes.Love,love,love to crank high speeders down Skylite!

Ah, I see.... thanks for the clarification

Los

Absolutely. I'll be deciding between the Superpass and peaks next year most likely so I'm keeping a close eye on how all the mountains are run. The biggest downside of the Superpass is that there is no major late season player and I vastly prefer Wildcat early season compared to BW. Considering the Superpass is a few hundred more than the Peaks Pass, its tough to justify paying more for a pass with a shorter overall season by a few weekends if Wildcat continues to last until May.

But Bretton Woods is usually open until Patriots Day, right? There aren't too many areas still open at that point... Wildcat is probably the only one in NH that lasts longer, right?

Jully

But Bretton Woods is usually open until Patriots Day, right? There aren't too many areas still open at that point... Wildcat is probably the only one in NH that lasts longer, right?

Yeah Wildcat is the only one in NH that lasts longer. They have said that they shoot for patriots day in the past, but they've missed it the past few years I thought (except 2015) and closed more around/on Easter. I'm not ready to be done with skiing on Easter. By May I'm done usually.

SIKSKIER

Picked up the pass today. Guns blasting and light flurries in Franconia. Friday let's gooooo.

Just confirmed from JD that the opening will be most likely Garys,Rocket,and Zoomer on the front 5 with lower Cannon/Time zone and maybe Gremlin with the Eagle Cliff and Zoomer lifts running.Probably not the Peabody till next week.I actually like this much better than the usual 1 way down from the Peabody on opening day.

wtcobb

Just confirmed from JD that the opening will be most likely Garys,Rocket,and Zoomer on the front 5 with lower Cannon/Time zone and maybe Gremlin with the Eagle Cliff and Zoomer lifts running.Probably not the Peabody till next week.I actually like this much better than the usual 1 way down from the Peabody on opening day.

That'll certainly spread out the traffic.

Puck it

I said that a couple of years ago when they did it makes much more sense.

SIKSKIER

I said that a couple of years ago when they did it makes much more sense.
Agree.That was the only time I remember them starting that way.I believe they wanted to get the snow down low while the temps were good.I know the new pumphouse is not finished yet so I dont know if that had anything to do with getting to the top of the Peabody.

Smellytele

I like the trail selection much better but Having the slower triple and double open instead of the high speed quad is not optimal.

SIKSKIER

Even so,if they pull that off with really only starting to make snow yesterday,thats a huge improvement for Cannon.Expansion is usually painfully slow without big snowfall.

Los

Totally agree!!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

witch hobble

Yes......much better than everybody and their grandma funneling down Spookie!

My legs don't need high speed quads to start the wrod season.

dlague

I just reread this and that is a nice trail combo to have open for opening day. Better than anything else IMO. There is terrain for all types of skiers without having beginners skiing the same runs as advanced. I mean they can if they want but Zoomer being open is nice.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app