Cannon Lover's Thread - Page 231

AlpineZone

Page 231 of 233 FirstFirst ... 131181221229230231232233 LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,310 of 2325
    Can anyone report on today for Cannon or K ?
    The Cannon website said 5" overnight and 3" today.
    In Manchester we got 4" of wet/hard snow with ice on top. Yuck.

Still thinking of tomorrow, I'm going to call K and Cannon by phone and ask...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiSnowboarderInNH View Post
    now Cannon is showing 5-8" of snow and ice, today, but Killington 8-12" snow today, 1-3" tomorrow..
    I guess I am making my first trip to K.
    I'm looking at the weather channel website..
    Cannon had all snow today. While what came down last night got blown into the woods. The extra that came down during the day was good. Mittersill held the snow better from last night and it skied well. By 2:30 when I left the trails were choppy but my crud busters got through it just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Hi - Was the snow good at least, or wet like here at sea level, and do you think tomorrow early is a decent call?

their phone line sounded like they got a full 8"

"5 yesterday, 3 today and still snowing at close..."

Driving Manchester to cannon tomorrow morning is 1/2 distance to Killington, plus I'm not fully fit to take advantage of Killington..

Is there anyone here would consider share driving / fuel to Killington in the future, or is there a board for ride-sharing?

Jay had a favorable/most snow report but 3+ hours each way, I'm not prepared for that for a one day trip, alone, just yet...

Thanks for your help!

I heard from someone that Cannon was excellent today. Not heavy but not light for the snow, which is actually good because you want the snow to bond with the icier surface underneath. The lighter snow over ice at Sugarloaf and Stowe is downright dangerous.

The snow was not wet at all. It wasn't blower either.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days

Hi

I made it up to Cannon Thursday from 11am - close...
    I had just enough strength to do 11 runs..and take a few breaks.
    Just before 3pm everyone left - it emptied out in like 10 minutes and the wind died.
    The sun came out around 2pm, maybe?

The snow was fast: I used a different board that works well on hard pack..
    It was very hard with many patches of exposed ice.
    There was just enough loose snow to push around to make it not suck.

This was my second time @Cannon, can anybody there on Thursday tell me if that was a "typical" day?

thanks again..

Hi

I made it up to Cannon Thursday from 11am - close...
    I had just enough strength to do 11 runs..and take a few breaks.
    Just before 3pm everyone left - it emptied out in like 10 minutes and the wind died.
    The sun came out around 2pm, maybe?

This was my second time @Cannon, can anybody there on Thursday tell me if that was a "typical" day?

thanks again..
    I was also there Thursday. I would say it was busier than a normal mid weekday. A combo of fresh snow and the upcoming holiday week and those who can choose to get a day in before the madness. It has not been a great winter. Even when it is are there are ice patches in some places again and again but Cannon is a windy place. I would say conditions were not as good as I usually get there. That being said I am not sure they would have been much better anyplace else in that part of the state. Not a great winter in my opinion so far. Everyone has their own opinion but i think Cannon is the best area in NH. Sunapee and Bretton will have better groomed trails but their terrain is less interesting (and I ski at Sunapee a lot).
    Last edited by medfordmike; Feb 15, 2019 at 7:09 PM.
    2018-2019: 36
    Sunapee 11, Pico 10, Wachusett 5, Stowe 1, Killington 1, Cranmore 1, Skiway 2, Whaleback 1, Cannon 1, Black Mountain NH 1, Otis Ridge 1, Nashoba Valley 1

2017-2018 season: 43, 2016-2017 season: 43, 2015-2016 season: 27, 2014-2015 season: 29, 2013-2014 season: 25

Hi

thanks again..
    For the most part, what you are describing was a "typical day" at Cannon, at least in my experience. More often than not, their cover tends to be hard with frequent ice patches. On the other hand, the place is varied enough so I always manage to find some runs that ski quite well. It's just a matter of finding them. But when Cannon has good cover, be it fresh snow or it's spring, it can be seventh heaven - best skiing in NH. That's what keeps me coming back. Then, there is another upside: if the skiing really sucks, the notch has great hiking. I can always fall back on that and have very satisfying day out.

Live for today

Quote Originally Posted by Bumpsis View Post
    For the most part, what you are describing was a "typical day" at Cannon, at least in my experience. More often than not, their cover tends to be hard with frequent ice patches. On the other hand, the place is varied enough so I always manage to find some runs that ski quite well. It's just a matter of finding them. But when Cannon has good cover, be it fresh snow or it's spring, it can be seventh heaven - best skiing in NH. That's what keeps me coming back. Then, there is another upside: if the skiing really sucks, the notch has great hiking. I can always fall back on that and have very satisfying day out.
    +1
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Cannon skied great today - No lines. Nice wind blown stashes at the top. The normal spots mid mountain got scraped and middle hard scrabble was "interesting". Baron's run skied well today. only line was at Cannonball Quad but no more than 3-4 minute wait. And then for only a couple of runs.

Thread Information