• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I would think Gremlin-ish, to Middle and Upper Cannon would have better clearance/vis (or to up Tramway) would work but I'm not sure about the junctions. Of course, a route up Mittersill would be great (like in the old days :) )

Gary's/Rocket would (actually are, when the area's closed) be easy skinning but the best snow is usually skier's left, where they're flattest, IMO!!! And the yahoos (like me) come down that side when the snow is good :)
See, that's the thing ... unless you could go up Dave's Detour to either Tramway or Vista Way. A Mittersill route might be good.

Smellytele

I would think Gremlin-ish, to Middle and Upper Cannon would have better clearance/vis (or to up Tramway) would work but I'm not sure about the junctions. Of course, a route up Mittersill would be great (like in the old days :) )

Gary's/Rocket would (actually are, when the area's closed) be easy skinning but the best snow is usually skier's left, where they're flattest, IMO!!! And the yahoos (like me) come down that side when the snow is good :)

Not so sure upper cannon would be a good option. Very twisty and lots of blind spots

SIKSKIER

Who's crying? I was just curious if anything was being done besides the snowmaking and t-bar on the training trail.

Fair enough.With all the complaining on this thread about the Mittersill upgrades this sure sounds like more of the same.You do know non racers will be able to use this trail at times also right?If it were not for the new snowmaking on Mittersill this past year it never would have opened.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
Fair enough.With all the complaining on this thread about the Mittersill upgrades this sure sounds like more of the same.You do know non racers will be able to use this trail at times also right?If it were not for the new snowmaking on Mittersill this past year it never would have opened.

I've said before in this thread that I appreciated having Mittersill open this year, which obviously wouldn't have happened without the snowmaking. With that being said the training slope doesn't do anything for me, it looks like a boring trail and it's ugly as hell to be honest. If all the work their doing this summer is on that particular trail then they're not doing anything that will personally benefit me.

SIKSKIER

I've said before in this thread that I appreciated having Mittersill open this year, which obviously wouldn't have happened without the snowmaking. With that being said the training slope doesn't do anything for me, it looks like a boring trail and it's ugly as hell to be honest. If all the work their doing this summer is on that particular trail then they're not doing anything that will personally benefit me.
Dont be so sure.If it gets them training on Taft instead of Garys.But that probably wont happen.

skiberg

Don't forget, Cannon will still be training on Gary's and Time Zone even if FSC trains primarily on Baron's and the new training slope. So I imagine there will still be kids racing on the front side. Although the traffic will be significantly less.

Puck it

Don't forget, Cannon will still be training on Gary's and Time Zone even if FSC trains primarily on Baron's and the new training slope. So I imagine there will still be kids racing on the front side. Although the traffic will be significantly less.
Huh. Like what teams? I would expect Holderness to be over on the new area too.

skiberg

Cannon has its seasonal programs, which I am sure you are aware of. However, most people don't realize that when the kids get older they set up brushes, stubbies, gates etc. and are actually training. It often looks like FSC to many, but its not. Its actually the mountain doing their own thing.

Puck it

Cannon has its seasonal programs, which I am sure you are aware of. However, most people don't realize that when the kids get older they set up brushes, stubbies, gates etc. and are actually training. It often looks like FSC to many, but its not. Its actually the mountain doing their own thing.
ok. You made it would like a racing program. But they don't close the runs for those.

skiberg

I think it depends on who is racing if they decide to close a trail and when they are skin. All race programs need to close a trail occasionally, for the safety of the athletes and the public.

They close Time Zone all the time when Cannon seasonal is training and when high schools who train at Cannon are using the trail. Not always but often.

When the High Schools train on Gary's I have never seen it entirely closed. God knows they probably should, some of those kids don't lack for courage even if they lack skill.

I don't recall FSC ever closing Gary's for training, but Time zone sometimes has a soft closing.

UNH trains on Rocket and that remains open.

Holderness trains on Gary's and it stays open. However, if they train on Banshee it usually will be closed.

Banshee usually gets a soft close whoever is training on it as its just too narrow.

Turnpike usually gets pretty much closed when FSC is on it, but not entirely, you can still sneak by sometimes. Its entirely closed as well sometimes. However, when colleges ski on it I have seen the entire trail closes as they just ski too fast.

I just think it depends on who is training, what they are training and where, for safety reasons.

witch hobble

I think it depends on who is racing if they decide to close a trail and when they are skin. All race programs need to close a trail occasionally, for the safety of the athletes and the public.

They close Time Zone all the time when Cannon seasonal is training and when high schools who train at Cannon are using the trail. Not always but often.

When the High Schools train on Gary's I have never seen it entirely closed. God knows they probably should, some of those kids don't lack for courage even if they lack skill.

I don't recall FSC ever closing Gary's for training, but Time zone sometimes has a soft closing.

UNH trains on Rocket and that remains open.

Holderness trains on Gary's and it stays open. However, if they train on Banshee it usually will be closed.

Banshee usually gets a soft close whoever is training on it as its just too narrow.

Turnpike usually gets pretty much closed when FSC is on it, but not entirely, you can still sneak by sometimes. Its entirely closed as well sometimes. However, when colleges ski on it I have seen the entire trail closes as they just ski too fast.

I just think it depends on who is training, what they are training and where, for safety reasons.

Wow! Hope rereading your post makes you grateful for how much Cannon already bends over backwards to appease you racer families!

skiberg

Cannon is not like other mountains. Historically, it has always been a racers mountain. Racer built, racer created.

Are you suggesting a state owned ski area should bot bend over backwards to assist its own State sponsored development program, local high schools and its own State University?

Puck it

Cannon is not like other mountains. Historically, it has always been a racers mountain. Racer built, racer created.

Are you suggesting a state owned ski area should bot bend over backwards to assist its own State sponsored development program, local high schools and its own State University?
It will be interesting if they shutdown Mittersill to the public. I can see this happening.

skiberg

Never ever gonna happen. JD is not beholden to racing. He likes the relationship because he is getting free mountain upgrades, but he will never enter that firestorm.