• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

wtcobb

Didn't make it Saturday - opted to hike the higher hills instead - but Sunday was mint. Smooth creamy snow and a warm afternoon.

Jully

I'm laughing at how outrageous this list was. Really? Showboat at Ragged??? Upper Flying Goose? lol This reporter must have been bribed by the mountains to advertise for them. Everything under the chair at Wildcat is a better bump run (or run to show off) than those two.:smile:

Ripsaw at Loon is the worst one on the list in my opinion. Though Showboat isn't far behind!

witch hobble

That bare spot towards the top/skier's right of Lower Cannon is gonna reek havoc. What's the summit to base route with the most base built up? Upper Cannon > links > Middle Ravine > Gremlin?

Cannonball

That bare spot towards the top/skier's right of Lower Cannon is gonna reek havoc. What's the summit to base route with the most base built up? Upper Cannon > links > Middle Ravine > Gremlin?

Tough call. Since they relocated a major portion of their snowmaking efforts over to Mittersill in recent weeks they never really built up a single, major route.

freeski

Looks like Skylight and Red Ball, Blue Ball have been sacrificed this year. One of my favorite spring runs is Red Ball in the morning. It's groomed ice and no one is there. I get as close to Tuna Speed as I ever do. It's nice because if you do fall it's very wide at the bottom.

Puck it

Looks like Skylight and Red Ball, Blue Ball have been sacrificed this year. One of my favorite spring runs is Red Ball in the morning. It's groomed ice and no one is there. I get as close to Tuna Speed as I ever do. It's nice because if you do fall it's very wide at the bottom.
And pretty flat

dlague

Spookie will never survive over to gremlin and the other narrow path to Gremlin from Middle Ravine will not do well either.

freeski

Blue Ball to Red isn't flat and when it's ice it's not boring. Everyone else is in the sun so freeski's free to let them run.

Puck it

Blue Ball to Red isn't flat and when it's ice it's not boring. Everyone else is in the sun so freeski's free to let them run.
are you sure you don't mean Turnpike. Blue Ball and Red ball run parallel. They both have a short moderate pitch to start and then flatten out. Blue ball actually goes into Turnpike at the flt part of it.

SIKSKIER

There is no Blueball to Red Ball unless your heading uphill then down.He has to talking Turnpike this year.Lower Hard to Redball is probably what he means.

freeski

are you sure you don't mean Turnpike. Blue Ball and Red ball run parallel. They both have a short moderate pitch to start and then flatten out. Blue ball actually goes into Turnpike at the flt part of it.
You're right, Upper Red Ball to lower. But, you get the same frozen icy cord on You're route although there are more people over there. I'd say try it on an early spring morning, but this year it's closed and most likely an ice flow.

Cannonball

In any industry positive external factors can mask poor management & negative external factors can expose poor management. The past two winters have made Cannon a poster-child for this concept.

SIKSKIER

Looks like we got through this one ok

**12:30pm Update**
After reports of 3-4" at the summit this morning, the winds switched in the right direction and brought in cooler air and the Cannon Effect keeping it snowing hard all morning and still snowing as of 12:30pm! While down at the base we've only seen 1-2", there is closer to 2-3" at mid-mountain and a legit 4-6" of dryer powder snow on the summit terrain. This will all groom in nicely for the weekend!

Here is Wildcat today:

Attachments

• wildcatmarch2.jpg
    wildcatmarch2.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 187

57stevey

Has anyone yet skied Skyline/Ridge/TBD in its current state? Any trails on Cannon proper you would say are comparable?

Los

I skied it last weekend and really enjoyed skyline. Seemed more like an intermediate trail, maybe a little narrower. Ridge run is nothing. It's just a cut through like spookie. TBD was a lot of fun Saturday before they groomed the whales. It was still good Sunday. There's one section at the end that's fairly steep, but it's short. After this it turns to the right, and runs relatively flat into barons. Where it spills into barons you can hike up a little to get onto rabbit path, or you can take the (very slow) double back up and use barons/way back to get back to the main mountain (i.e. If you use TBD to rabbit path you'd have to take the tuckerbrook quad to get back to Peabody). It seems to me that the difficulty ratings should switch - the upper third of Barons seems much more challenging than the mittersill black diamond run.

Los

pretty good conditions today but stupidly crowded. The front 5 was mostly an oasis from the chaos.