• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

chuckstah

Pretty good cover today considering. Highly variable from trail to trail. Nice to have the tram running.
Upper ravine and a couple parting shots.

Attachments

• 1460240452320.jpg
    1460240452320.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 1460240477887.jpg
    1460240477887.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 1460240505177.jpg
    1460240505177.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 73

witch hobble

I took the tour today. First time parking at the tram base all year. I definitely give them credit for making it happen, and I'm glad I went. For the purpose of closure for myself and the season.

But it was only good skiing if you use the low bar set by this winter. There was much brutal boilerplate lurking under either cream cheese frosting or loose granular sugar. Could have used an extra ten degrees or so. But oh well. Maybe next season.

DoublePlanker

The skiing was great on Saturday! The place seemed empty. I did see 2 other skiers with toddlers on tethers just like me. Crazy people! We got last chair. My kid kept asking why it wasn't running. And he wanted to get back on the lift. I think he has the bug.

SIKSKIER

The place seemed empty cuz it was.Sunday was a great way to end the season with big blue skies.Kudos for running the tram this weekend with the detach down.As much as I hate that tram it came in handy the last weekend.Look at the huge crowd on the deck at 1:00.

Attachments

• IMG_20160410_132218865[1].jpg
    IMG_20160410_132218865[1].jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 397

SIKSKIER

I forgot to post this when I was up the w/e of 4/23.New pipe being installed on the newly cleared Taft race slope.

Attachments

• IMG_20160424_111932331[1].jpg
    IMG_20160424_111932331[1].jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 293

Puck it

Any improvements scheduled this summer that will benefit non racers?
Various signage around the mountain.

1179717_f260.jpg

skiberg

I agree, enough. The improvements will benefit all, just like the snowmaking on Cannon side. We have been down this road before.

JDMRoma

You know the racers could use a porta potty over at the mittersill lift !!

Just sayn. I feel bad for them having to stop training to head back to pee

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Cannonball

This is Cannon's Skinning route/policy:
"The prescribed skinning route shall be (from the bottom up):
Lower Ravine to…Middle Ravine to…Upper Ravine to…The first (lowest) entry onto Taft Slalom…Taft Slalom to the summit of Cannon Mountain and shall be marked as such on the “Downhill Skier’s Left” side of the trails in question, utilizing a small sign mounted on bamboo and/or PVC and set well out of the travel area on the trails in question. Skinners shall travel on the “Downhill Skier’s Left” (Skinner’s right) during the entire uphill trek."

Does anyone know what the policy is when/if any of the trails on that route happen to be closed for downhill traffic? Would you still use that route uphill? Would an alternate uphill route come into play? Would skinning be shut down altogether?

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This is Cannon's Skinning route/policy:
"The prescribed skinning route shall be (from the bottom up):
Lower Ravine to…Middle Ravine to…Upper Ravine to…The first (lowest) entry onto Taft Slalom…Taft Slalom to the summit of Cannon Mountain and shall be marked as such on the “Downhill Skier’s Left” side of the trails in question, utilizing a small sign mounted on bamboo and/or PVC and set well out of the travel area on the trails in question. Skinners shall travel on the “Downhill Skier’s Left” (Skinner’s right) during the entire uphill trek."

Does anyone know what the policy is when/if any of the trails on that route happen to be closed for downhill traffic? Would you still use that route uphill? Would an alternate uphill route come into play? Would skinning be shut down altogether?
Most of that route is wide and low angle and doesn't get as much downhill traffic as say Middle and Lower Cannon. Not ever having tried it I would take shot at it.
That being said, I didn't skin even once this past season. Even when my goal was to skin every time out. So sad. :sadwalk:

What would be an alternative route? Booting up Kinsman?

becca m

re skinning route: Don't get mad at me anyone, but, I think the Cannon skinning route is HORRIBLE!!!! As much as i wanted to skin up it this past year, I just couldn't face the prospect of how there are so many blind turns - and it was pretty icy. It is low angle for easy skinning if there were *no* downhill traffic. It seems like there are better uphill routes they could authorize. I mean, that guy died on that trail this spring!!!!! People come FLYING down that skinning route!!!!! At any rate, Cannon did not seem to open the uphill route for skinning this winter until it was open for downhill travel.

re: portapotties at Mittersill - they were there this season (at least when I was there at the end of the season) in the Mittersill parking area. BUT one had been heavily smeared with #2 inside - REALLY scary!!!! EEEEEK but the other one was OK.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
re skinning route: Don't get mad at me anyone, but, I think the Cannon skinning route is HORRIBLE!!!! As much as i wanted to skin up it this past year, I just couldn't face the prospect of how there are so many blind turns - and it was pretty icy. It is low angle for easy skinning if there were *no* downhill traffic. It seems like there are better uphill routes they could authorize. I mean, that guy died on that trail this spring!!!!! People come FLYING down that skinning route!!!!! At any rate, Cannon did not seem to open the uphill route for skinning this winter until it was open for downhill travel.
IS there a good uphill route on Cannon becomes the question. Anything on the Zoomer side would be too steep for me. Gremlin might be a good choice for uphill but where do you go from there?

becca m

IS there a good uphill route on Cannon becomes the question. Anything on the Zoomer side would be too steep for me. Gremlin might be a good choice for uphill but where do you go from there?

I would think Gremlin-ish, to Middle and Upper Cannon would have better clearance/vis (or to up Tramway) would work but I'm not sure about the junctions. Of course, a route up Mittersill would be great (like in the old days :) )

Gary's/Rocket would (actually are, when the area's closed) be easy skinning but the best snow is usually skier's left, where they're flattest, IMO!!! And the yahoos (like me) come down that side when the snow is good :)