• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

becca m

now they just need a magic carpet over the saddle to Mitty :) hahaha took me 8 minutes to lug my snowboard over on Saturday but then, once at the bottom of the double, had to wait in an insane line of at least 10 minutes!!!

dlague

now they just need a magic carpet over the saddle to Mitty :) hahaha took me 8 minutes to lug my snowboard over on Saturday but then, once at the bottom of the double, had to wait in an insane line of at least 10 minutes!!!

Easier to go to Tuckerbrook area and cut over from Rabbit Path. No hiking required.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

SkiingInABlueDream

a few pictures from Sunday 2/19

A few pics from Sunday. It froze up overnight but got warm enough by late morning that pretty much everything softened up, despite being mostly cloudy all day.

View at the top of Vista. Vista got sun early in the day and softened up pretty quickly.
IMG_0119-dpp.jpg

a bit of sun in echo woods
IMG_0122-dpp.jpg

somewhere in GoGreen Glade.
IMG_0129-dpp.jpg

IMG_0130-dpp.jpg
Coverage and surface were great despite the weather change since last week.
This was my first time skiing Mittersill since the widening of Baron's and everything else.
I'll just say the changes are... interesting.

Last edited:

SIKSKIER

. Crowds weren't bad after you got past the line for getting tickets. .
Not sure where you usually ski but I totally disagree about the crowds.They were awfull.I left at noon.Cannon totally ran out of all their parking.On my way back to my house in Mittersill I saw something I've nevr seen before,Cars parked all along in front of the fire station blocking all access to the 2 overhead doors.What?I hope they were told to park there cuz maybe there is no truck in that garage.On Sunday,Cannon made more parking by pushing snow back on Mittersill road by the Mitty parking pods.They had cars parked head in with maybe 30 cars there.Parking has never been allowed on that road before.When I left Monday afternoon they had pushed back a lot further down along that road.Total shitshow on Sunday morning as there was a long delay to regroom all the trails they groomed that night which had frozen up.By the time I was able to load the Brookside chair and get to the Peabody,the line was out past Gremlin.See you later.Yesterday was back to like a regular weekend day with no wait at all.

I made my annual return to Cannon for president's day weekend on Sunday, and I don't really remember crowds like that (maybe on Superbowl Sunday?), though liftlines really calmed down in the afternoon.

One of the reasons I decided to come back (well, the main reason) for a day was that Tramline and Kinsman were supposed to be open. I kept thinking that Patrol would drop the ropes on them as the day went on (it really seemed like the snow conditions definitely were good enough to do so), but they never did. I was really kinda bummed about that. At least Mittersill was a blast in the afternoon.

witch hobble

Skied for a few hours today. Melting fast. Felt like April. Baron's was lots o fun.

Parking lot ruts getting deep with this weather during vaca week.

SLoMo

Front five looking dismal right now. But on a lighter note it's currently snowing in the Notch, so there's that!!

dlague

And they are firing up sm on Garys,Rocket,Zoomer,and Avalanche right now.Plus some on Barons.

They will do Baron's for sure since there is an event coming up. Plus they fire up the front five so the Zoomer Bar can have a great spring.

SIKSKIER

They will do Baron's for sure since there is an event coming up. Plus they fire up the front five so the Zoomer Bar can have a great spring.

Actually,JD said they will make some snow on the top and Bottom there as the rest of the trail is hard just like the racers want.Same thing on the Taft slope.

freeski

Light on top of Cannon-
Driving south at night toward Cannon you can't miss the bright light on the observation deck on the top of the mountain. I've seen it up close and it's pretty cool. Not at all like a street light. There are also a lot of antennas and I'd guess relay equipment up there.
Is the light the property of the state? What's it for?
I'd guess it warns planes of the White Mts. I can remember it being there in the mid 70's. It has kind of an eerie, star like look sometimes. If anyone knows any specifics I'd appreciate it.

Rowsdower

Light on top of Cannon-
Driving south at night toward Cannon you can't miss the bright light on the observation deck on the top of the mountain. I've seen it up close and it's pretty cool. Not at all like a street light. There are also a lot of antennas and I'd guess relay equipment up there.
I'd guess it warns planes of the White Mts. I can remember it being there in the mid 70's. It has kind of an eerie, star like look sometimes. If anyone knows any specifics I'd appreciate it.

"Aliens Land Here!"

thetrailboss

Staff member
Light on top of Cannon-

It is spooky. Doubt it's for planes. Probably to illuminate the equipment for the state communications.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

bigbob

Doesn't WMUR channel 9 have a repeater up there to cover the north country?

SIKSKIER

Cannon is pulling out all the stops.Sunday was tremendous skiing.I dont know how they did it but even most of the trails that didn't get new snowmaking were fantastic high speed cruising.Not a cloud,light wind,and zero lines made for a great day of skiing.

Attachments

• cannonrocketwhales.jpg
    cannonrocketwhales.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 96