• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

witch hobble

Cannon is not like other mountains. Historically, it has always been a racers mountain. Racer built, racer created.

Are you suggesting a state owned ski area should bot bend over backwards to assist its own State sponsored development program, local high schools and its own State University?

Quite a strawman you are constructing here but since we don't have any quiros sized issues at Cannon I will play along.

Are you suggesting that the state should inherently get the lion's share of the $$$ infusion and prestige from the racer families and traditions at the expense of the privately owned ski areas located nearby?

skiberg

I am not suggesting anything. You suggested Cannon bends over backwards. I think the Public and other entities have a right to utilize the state just like any other group would; Schedule, set it up, do whatever they do at other State owned facilities, like ball fields, soccer fields, hockey rinks, auditoriums etc. I just don't see that as bending over backwards.

witch hobble

I also was not suggesting anything. I was using your post to illustrate the length Cannon goes to accomodate racing. Are there other ski areas that have such a large % of the mountain that could be closed or restricted at any given time? I honestly don't know. It seemed like a long list of trails and entities.

steamboat1

Killington is not state owned & often has as many as 4 trails closed for racing on any given day (upper Bunny Buster, Highline, lower Skyelark, Panic Button/Needles Eye).

skiberg

You could be correct about the percent of terrain, but not many places have racing so intertwined with there history. As for JD, I have heard he has projected a ambivalent attitude to FSC when they have spoken to him. I have heard that when people have suggested to him FSC might deserve a little special attention, as they gave Cannon 3 million dollars of equipment; he has basically said big deal we would have done it anyhow.

Smellytele

You could be correct about the percent of terrain, but not many places have racing so intertwined with there history. As for JD, I have heard he has projected a ambivalent attitude to FSC when they have spoken to him. I have heard that when people have suggested to him FSC might deserve a little special attention, as they gave Cannon 3 million dollars of equipment; he has basically said big deal we would have done it anyhow.

He has to answer to the state and to the tax payers of NH and that is it. He didn't twist the arm of FSC they offered and he took it. Not sure who was suggesting that the FSC should get special attention hopefully it wasn't anyone involved with the FSC.

skiberg

Of course FSC suggested it. They would be crazy not to want some concessions. Who would donate 4 million in improvements and not expect something. The Quid pro Quo is supposed to be guaranteed training time on Barons and the new slope.
Its still a business, to suggest he can just turn his back on a major donor is not realistic. JD is forced to balance the interest of the state, his paying customers, the Mountain and the free upgrades. He would be stupid to turn his back on the offer, but acceptance comes with certain compromises. All In all, I think a balance has been struck; so far the Mountain and the public are way ahead.

Cannonball

He would be stupid to turn his back on the offer, but acceptance comes with certain compromises.

Wait, which is it? Did JD 'accept with compromises' as you say above? Or did he not, as you said just prior to that?

As for JD, I have heard he has projected a ambivalent attitude to FSC when they have spoken to him. I have heard that when people have suggested to him FSC might deserve a little special attention, as they gave Cannon 3 million dollars of equipment; he has basically said big deal we would have done it anyhow.

And is it $4mil or $3M?

SIKSKIER

I really dont understand what the angst is in putting other peoples money into Mittersill.The place was open very little without the snowmaking and would not have even opened this year without it.As a 40+ year season pass holder at Cannon I have no problem with this.I spent many days in the off season cutting back the overgrown trails to be able to still ski them so I sure liked it from the "side country" angle before the transfer to the state took place.I guess your damned if you do and damned if you don't in respect to a NELSAP area.This is a good thing from my eyes.

skiberg

The compromise is giving the guarantee of training time. With that said he is still a bit ambivalent about the cash from FSC.
The initial amount was 3 million. That has risen to 4 million. All but about $100,000.00 has been raised. There will be 80+ high efficiency snow guns installed on the new slope and the ski lift is already on order and expected to arrive by the end of the month. For what's its worth, I agree the new slope is ugly as sin.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
The compromise is giving the guarantee of training time. With that said he is still a bit ambivalent about the cash from FSC.
The initial amount was 3 million. That has risen to 4 million. All but about $100,000.00 has been raised. There will be 80+ high efficiency snow guns installed on the new slope and the ski lift is already on order and expected to arrive by the end of the month. For what's its worth, I agree the new slope is ugly as sin.

If training time is the only compromise then I could really care less because I don't have much desire to use that trail. However if the new snowmaking takes away from them blowing Cannon proper then it'd be pretty disappointing. It was one thing to blow Baron's as opposed to something like Skylight because at least Baron's was open to the public. Hopefully mother nature makes this a non-issue!

SIKSKIER

If training time is the only compromise then I could really care less because I don't have much desire to use that trail. However if the new snowmaking takes away from them blowing Cannon proper then it'd be pretty disappointing. It was one thing to blow Baron's as opposed to something like Skylight because at least Baron's was open to the public. Hopefully mother nature makes this a non-issue!

I kind of agree with you on taking away snowmaking on Cannon with respect to the Taft slope.As far as Skyline and Barons,I found it a great addition to what was there before.Skylite is certainly one of my favorites and was disapointed to not see sm there this year but it had more to do with the amount of resurfacing they had to keep doing on all the main routes on Cannon with the almost 2 months of weekly rainstorms.

Cannonball

At 9:15 Wednesday night the NH House overwhelmingly voted to reinstate free skiing for our seniors at Cannon. The House Ways and Means Committee determined there would be NO increased revenue by taking away this privilege that's been on the books since 1973.

Puck it

At 9:15 Wednesday night the NH House overwhelmingly voted to reinstate free skiing for our seniors at Cannon. The House Ways and Means Committee determined there would be NO increased revenue by taking away this privilege that's been on the books since 1973.
I am not there yet!!!