• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

granite

Cannon does not seem to making an "all out snow making assault" on the mountain. I was there on Sunday, they were making snow over on Turnpike and the trails over there, that was about it. Don't they have more snow making capability than that? The Friday event caused a lot damage. I was told by a tram operator that not a single skier showed up Friday, so they closed at 11am. There was a huge washout at the bottom of Paulies/Avalanche-you couldn't ski across. I was hoping to find at least one trail under the guns to ski, but there weren't any.

MEtoVTSkier

Cannon does not seem to making an "all out snow making assault" on the mountain. I was there on Sunday, they were making snow over on Turnpike and the trails over there, that was about it. Don't they have more snow making capability than that? The Friday event caused a lot damage. I was told by a tram operator that not a single skier showed up Friday, so they closed at 11am. There was a huge washout at the bottom of Paulies/Avalanche-you couldn't ski across. I was hoping to find at least one trail under the guns to ski, but there weren't any.

Downside to those cheap resident passes...

Smellytele

On Monday they were blowing on skylight, lower ravine, Taft, lower Hardscrabble/Short fuse, Turnpike and maybe in the beginner area - brookside. Today they are showing snow making on 10 trails.

SIKSKIER

The Friday event caused a lot damage. I was told by a tram operator that not a single skier showed up Friday, so they closed at 11am. .

It was blowing pretty hard along with the sideways rain on Friday.There were more than a few people skiing but not myself.I was surprised they opened at all.

redwinger

Yesterday was out of this world. Got there w/ 6" or so of nice fresh snow. Even coverage, no wind. It started snowing again around 9:30 and dumped until 12 or 1 before the sun broke through and turned into bluebird.

There was no wind until later in the afternoon, it truly was like skiing in a snow globe.

Even the lower glades were in great shape.

Thanks all.

I went up to Cannon on Wed Jan 30 - my first time,
I got there had about 8" of new snow, runs off peabody quad not groomed / was still snowing in the am, then the sun came out.
No lift lines, I doubt it's normally like that?
There was hardly anyone there and I was able to park right next to the buildings, arrived around 11:30.

I didn't get a chance to explore the mountain enough as I am so out of shape, got winded/tired easily.
I was able to try all my new gear and after 6 years away from snowboarding I was very happy

It took me 1:15 from Manchester and I plan to go back next week - it's supposed to snow Tue/Wed..

When does the season normally/usually end there?
Without fresh, are there a lot of steep groomers or is there a better mountain for that?
I have the trail map and website but since I didn't see the whole mountain it's hard to tell.

I hope to check out Killington and Sunday River but I am hesitant to go on weekends..

Sorry for all the questions, Thanks again!

prsboogie

Thanks all.

I went up to Cannon on Wed Jan 30 - my first time,
I got there had about 8" of new snow, runs off peabody quad not groomed / was still snowing in the am, then the sun came out.
No lift lines, I doubt it's normally like that?
There was hardly anyone there and I was able to park right next to the buildings, arrived around 11:30.

I didn't get a chance to explore the mountain enough as I am so out of shape, got winded/tired easily.
I was able to try all my new gear and after 6 years away from snowboarding I was very happy

It took me 1:15 from Manchester and I plan to go back next week - it's supposed to snow Tue/Wed..

When does the season normally/usually end there?
Without fresh, are there a lot of steep groomers or is there a better mountain for that?
I have the trail map and website but since I didn't see the whole mountain it's hard to tell.

I hope to check out Killington and Sunday River but I am hesitant to go on weekends..

Sorry for all the questions, Thanks again!
Pretty much any Eastern resort will be hectic boardering on unbearable on the weekends but we all ski anyways. The next two weekends will likely be the worst with the winter school vacations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cannon and almost all New England mountains aren't going to have much in the way of lift lines on a non-holiday midweek day unless there is a major storm. Even then it's typically not as busy as an average Sunday.

Cannon has a handful of good pitched groomers off the top with Cannonball/Profile being the steepest. Zoomer chair has the steepest terrain on the mountain. Barons over on Mittersill is probably the longest consistently pitched trail on the mountain.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thanks guys,

So nowhere to "go and hide" on weekends?
For example, is Killington big enough to do laps off a lift higher up on the mountain that might not have long lines?

Bumpsis

Thanks guys,

For example, is Killington big enough to do laps off a lift higher up on the mountain that might not have long lines?

I find Cannon to be one of the least crowded areas on weekends, but then again, I hardy ever go to Attitash or Wildcat.
Of the smaller hills, Ragged would be my choice. Sundays always seem less crowded.

machski

Thanks guys,

Yes, now that Killington has the Southridge Quad in play, you likely could hide there on the weekend and have light if any crowds.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Anybody going to Cannon tomorrow? Likely alternatives? Will Thursday be "too late" haha ?
Showing 8-12 inches forecast for today/tonight.

Killington showing more than that.

Last edited:
now Cannon is showing 5-8" of snow and ice, today, but Killington 8-12" snow today, 1-3" tomorrow..
I guess I am making my first trip to K.
I'm looking at the weather channel website..