• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

Puck it

Ouch - that hurt! We planned on being there but got hand cuffed by my 19 yr old. Apparently, he took my pass and went skiing with my 12 yr old at Cannon while I was at work. In doing so, left the pass in my wife's car and my 12 yr old's pass and gear. He stayed at a friends house and did not answer his phone until 11:30 am. I have been a bear all day. Now I am sad!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

It was a very unexpected day as I drove thru the rain on 93 north.

Cannonball

A rare sunny day at Cannon today. Amazing wind drift riding. Picked up 7-8" throughout yesterday and it's all redistributed, so your choices are scoured boiler plate or knee deep powder. Why so many people choose the former will always be a mystery to me.

Vista1.jpg

Vista2.jpg

Puck it

A rare sunny day at Cannon today. Amazing wind drift riding. Picked up 7-8" throughout yesterday and it's all redistributed, so your choices are scoured boiler plate or knee deep powder. Why so many people choose the former will always be a mystery to me.

attachment.php

attachment.php
jealous, I am.

Farleyman

Dam looks nice. I'll be up there gettin rad for 80s day.. Have my one piece suit ready to go and my Rossi quantums all tuned up and ready to go. Watch out for 20+ hooligans skiing in formation Saturday

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Farleyman

Old school duel Saturday, had a blast! ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1427122350.926313.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1427122366.795304.jpgImageUploadedByAlpineZone1427122381.458594.jpg

Puck it

From the snow report page:

Mittersill Area:
The Mittersill lift is open 8:30-3:30 on weekends only through April 5th*. The terrain remains open on weekdays with access from Taft Slalom. You may encounter thin cover and natural hazards in spots. Mittersill is for experts only. *The Mittersill terrain will be closed after April 5th, even if conditions still allow. Trail work/maintenance/construction will be in progress.

Looks like the the Taft Slope will be started. Snowmaking?

thetrailboss

Staff member
From the snow report page:

Mittersill Area:
The Mittersill lift is open 8:30-3:30 on weekends only through April 5th*. The terrain remains open on weekdays with access from Taft Slalom. You may encounter thin cover and natural hazards in spots. Mittersill is for experts only. *The Mittersill terrain will be closed after April 5th, even if conditions still allow. Trail work/maintenance/construction will be in progress.

Looks like the the Taft Slope will be started. Snowmaking?

What are they doing this summer?

witch hobble

I was out there for a couple hours mid day today. Beautiful day, high sun but a steady cool breeze. Coverage still excellent. Did not soften up quite as much as I had hoped.....but oh well.

freeski

Thanks, so it's just more land clearing and regrading this year. What is the time frame for completion?

deadheadskier

Staff member
400 foot wide ugliness. That's going to be a punch in the gut to see.

You know Mittersill handles wind FAR better than Cannon proper, but wouldn't it be wise to maybe only clear half the planned width and see how windblasted the slope gets? I know racers like it icy, but they could seriously ruin that slope for the casual skier.

freeski

This is from the Cannon website (it may have changed):
Phase II, which is expected to be completed for the 2015-2016 winter season, will allow for increased access to the Mittersill terrain with the installation of new snowmaking lines on two primary routes and two secondary routes on the mountain. Currently, without snowmaking at Mittersill, the Double Chair and skiing terrain are only open when there is enough natural snowfall. Other major improvements for Phase II include the clearing and widening of the Taft Slalom training slope to 90 meters, a new 20 meter width connecting trail back to Baron's Run from the training slope, and a new T-bar for mid-mountain access and to service the Taft training slope. Snowmaking plans also include the popular Skyline and Ridge Run route. The balance of the Mittersill terrain will remain in its natural state for the foreseeable future, according to Cannon Mountain General Manager John DeVivo.