• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon Lover's Thread

redwinger

My opinion of Cannon Saturday was pretty different than what I've read here. First trip down from the Peabody was awful, pretty much solid ice with a few patches of nice snow if you stuck to the sides. Made my way to the front 5. Zoomer/Paulies/Avy were fantastic from 8:30am until 10:30. Great soft bumps and stashes. I made my way to Mittersill and found Baron's to be mediocre at best (i heard it was better earlier.) I decided to head back to the front after 1 trip down Baron's and saw that the wind hold on the Cannonball was lifted so I made the trip up.

Profile was a little scratchy up top but awesome half way down. Upper Cannon had a lot of snow, but it's not the best pitch to ski when you're in powder. Tramway and Vista (when it opened) was unreal. Best skiing of the year for me by a long shot. Boot deep from 11:30 until 2:15 when I decided to finally head in.

SIKSKIER

The f-in wind blew so hard at Mittersill Friday night that I only got 1 hour of sleep.There was no snow in my driveway but about a foot up against my door.It never really did stop blowing Saturday but certainly nothing like all night Friday.I've got quite an attitude about this years weather/conditions and its affecting my ski time.Right now I'll be happy with blue sky and calm weather with average temps for March to finish this season.Yes more rain coming mid week.WTF?

Los

To my surprise, upper mountain conditions on Sunday were fantastic (all things considered). I was loving the lack of crowds too.

Most of the lower mountain was very icy (and unenjoyable). That was my experience anyway...

Regardless, I'm with SkiSkier - this relentlessly miserable weather has given me a very bad attitude... That's not good I realize, but it's true nonetheless...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I don't think the point was most challenging. Agreed that none on that list is on the same level as Tramline. Wildcat lift line is pretty burly for about 300 vertical and then mainly tame. Not too many great challenging lift lines in general in NH compared to VT.

In defending Goose, it is a pretty good bump run. You do occasionally see some impressive bump skiers on it

SIKSKIER

I don't think the point was most challenging. Agreed that none on that list is on the same level as Tramline. Wildcat lift line is pretty burly for about 300 vertical and then mainly tame. Not too many great challenging lift lines in general in NH compared to VT.

In defending Goose, it is a pretty good bump run. You do occasionally see some impressive bump skiers on it
Good point.The article was best trail for showing off.My bad.

KustyTheKlown

tramline and the trees to skier's right rule. i've only skied cannon two days ever and tramline was open the second time (last early april). that spring day last year at cannon was so so good. warm and sunny and total coverage and everything open and soft.

gregnye

Not so much this year, but still...

"Tramline isn’t always open, but when it is…oh boy. This is where New Hampshire’s best ski. "

http://blog.liftopia.com/blog/new-h...&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=20160222_blog

I'm laughing at how outrageous this list was. Really? Showboat at Ragged??? Upper Flying Goose? lol This reporter must have been bribed by the mountains to advertise for them. Everything under the chair at Wildcat is a better bump run (or run to show off) than those two.:smile:

SIKSKIER

Quite a recovery this weekend from that nightmare Wed t-storm deluge.Totally surprized to find some pretty damn good skiing along with the elusive blue sky on Saturday.The 4-5 inches of new snow saved the day as it would have been crapola without it.Nice to meet Cannonball and Andys handle?Sometimes you just have to go and see whats there.

Cannonball

Quite a recovery this weekend from that nightmare Wed t-storm deluge.Totally surprized to find some pretty damn good skiing along with the elusive blue sky on Saturday.The 4-5 inches of new snow saved the day as it would have been crapola without it.Nice to meet Cannonball and Andys handle?Sometimes you just have to go and see whats there.

Agreed! Saturday was an unexpected treat.

Good to meet you in person. That was fcksummer and JDMROMA with me. They kept it going all day. I bailed by noon before the super fast groomers could tempt me into going all Lindsey Vonn.

Los

Yup. It was a great weekend at Cannon, all things considered. Very impressed with their commitment to snowmaking. They were blowing all over the mountain on Saturday.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com

That was me, nice to meet you.

For not having any powder or trees this year, this weekend was about as good as it gets. Sunday turned out to be a nice day as well once the sun came out.