• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help with Lodging for XMas or New Years

BaltoBill

Living in Baltimore is tough, especially during ski season and with three little ones in school when their only break is during the most expensive time of the year. I'm writing to see if any of you have great ideas for getting a ski on ski off condo (or walk to lifts) at a place like Sugarbush, Killington, Stratton, Okemo or Jay over Xmas or New Years for 6 or 7 nights without having to spend a crazy amount of money? Or a way to do a trip during that time without breaking the bank?

Any ideas would really be appreciated and I'm sure others are in my same situation.

If this belongs in another thread, please let me know. Thanks all -- I really enjoy this forum.

Bill

jaywbigred

Let me know if you have any interest in Mount Snow, we are looking to rent our condo out for both Christmas and New Years.

tnt1234

Jay had some sweet deals on the new Stateside side hotel...not sure if it works over the Holiday.

jimk

Once I stayed with my family of six in the Hampton Inn at White River Junction during a Prez Weekend Holiday. Commute is about 30-40 mins each way to Skyeship Gondola Base at Killington. Not the best way to do a big name place, but probably one of the cheapest. You can get a room with two double beds at White River Junction Hampton Inn or Super8 for ~$100 and 70 per night respectively this Christmas/NYs time. Both have free breakfast, Hampton Inn has indoor pool. Work the SKIING ON THE CHEAP thread here for any useful lift ticket deals. Might have to bite the bullet for Killington holiday tickets, but also consider a day at a smaller/cheaper mtns in the area like Suicide Six.

Otherwise, consider second tier places like Bolton/MRG, Bromley/Magic, Cranmore/Black NH, etc where slopeside accomomdations might be a better bargain compared to big names. Another idea: neat, little Parker’s Motel http://www.parkersmotel.com/ with great views and a hot tub. It’s halfway between Loon and Cannon (~5 miles to either) and can be a heck of a deal. Cannon is probably one of the cheaper big name places to ski in all of New England and offers a variety of ticket deals, maybe even during the holidays: http://www.cannonmt.com/lift_tickets.html

PS: was hoping for that "Parkway Series" between the Birds and the Nats, but it never materialized:-(

Last edited:

Old Duderino

I'm pretty much in the same boat living in the DC burbs with school age kids. Fortunately, they are both in high school now so my days of being a slave to their school schedules are numbered. We've done our NE trips in late January at the end of a school quarter so I don't know how much different it would be during the X-mass to New Years period. Other than the crowds and prices, the other thing I would be concerned about is that a lot of places may not have a lot open if there isn't enough cold weather by then.

I would consider Killington because they have so much supply that there's more likely to be deals available. Last year in late January we did a long weekend at Wiffletree which was cheap, clean and comfortable but the unit and building is showing it's age. It isn't ski-in/ski-out but does have a ski home trail which may or may not be open by X-mass (it wasn't last year in late Jan). The next time I go on a NE trip I'll be looking to do something like Stowe or Sugarbush.

kenkat08

In most areas there are agents that buy timeshares out side of resorts and rent them. Massanutten has on that was very helpful in finding us a investment property.but they bought timeshare spots in resorts and rented the weeks.we are renting a timeshare over Xmas also.we found it on creigslist but we booked it months ago

crank

I remember the days of being tied to school vacations. We used to stay at the Stone Hearth Inn in the town of Chester, VT, in between Magic and Okemo from Dec 26 - 31 week. Craigs list is a good place to find deals on condos that are going unused due to do someones not being able to make their usual vacation. I found a great, last minute deal for a ski-in-ski-out at Snowbird last year, but it wasn't a holiday week.

You might think about taking a loooonger drive and checking out Tremblant which has more SISO lodging than anyone in the east.

VTKilarney

You might think about taking a loooonger drive and checking out Tremblant which has more SISO lodging than anyone in the east.
My understanding is that there are true ski in/ski out condos at Tremblant, although I have not checked them out.

If you are thinking about staying at a hotel in the village, be aware that Tremblant's village lodging is not directly on the slopes. A couple of hotels at the top of the village are right at the base, and are a very short walk to the lifts. But the hotels keep extending down from there. There is a cabriolet lift that will take you from the bottom of the village to the top.

Don't get me wrong... I love Tremblant. But with young kids, if you stay in the village, you might not have true ski in/ski out lodging.

Having said that, I can't think of a better ski resort to be at Christmas time, for the atmosphere alone.

crank

I have stayed both in the top and near the bottom of the village. Not a big deal to either walk up to lift or down to cabriolet. Also, there is a trail that takes you right into the village so that you can ski in to within steps of your hotel or condo no matter where it is in the village. I agree it is a great place to take your family.

VTKilarney

Ahh... I didn't realize that there is a trail that parallels the village. That makes a BIG difference.

That's what I get for staying there in the summer.