• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boston Ski Expo 2014

deadheadskier

Staff member
Dang! I have always assumed that employers cover the cost of parking for their employees.

Not even in Burlington, VT. When I was Banquet Manager at what is now the Hilton, employees had to pay to park in the garage adjacent to the hotel.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Please tell me that it is at least tax deductible.

I'm sure it is, but do you think dishwashers making $8/hr itemize their tax deductions?

Upper management had their parking paid for, so it wasn't of concern for me. However, it was a daily issue trying to be "a good boss" and get my employees out the door in time to save a few bucks in the garage before getting charged for another hour.

Smellytele

To add to this Parking should be taxed higher to make people take public transportation more often.
Not that I really believe this but some one must

SkiFanE

To add to this Parking should be taxed higher to make people take public transportation more often.

Then I wouldn't have this job. It would take me 1.5- 2 hours to get to work each way (from 15 miles away), walk 1.5 miles to bus, then 30 minutes to subway, then 20 minutes on that, then switch lines, then another 10 minutes on that line, then a bus ride of 10 minutes, then 5-10 minute walk. If there's some waiting, it'd be much longer.

I'm all for public transportation, would LOVE to survive with just one car, but this ain't Europe and it's not realistic unless we move into a town with the subway down the street (which are the priciest homes $$$$$). I wish I could.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I think the availability of parking is too great and cost too low in all major cities. Highway and parking expansion only worsens traffic.

crank

I think it is harder to park in Boston than it is in Manhattan.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It's probably just what you are more familiar with?

As mentioned earlier, outside of the Financial District its pretty easy for me to find on street parking in Boston. However I sold meat to restaurants around the city for three years and learned most of "my spots" from that job.

crank

It's probably just what you are more familiar with?

As mentioned earlier, outside of the Financial District its pretty easy for me to find on street parking in Boston. However I sold meat to restaurants around the city for three years and learned most of "my spots" from that job.

I am sure you are correct. I also find NYC a lot easier to drive around in as well.

Smellytele

Then I wouldn't have this job. It would take me 1.5- 2 hours to get to work each way (from 15 miles away), walk 1.5 miles to bus, then 30 minutes to subway, then 20 minutes on that, then switch lines, then another 10 minutes on that line, then a bus ride of 10 minutes, then 5-10 minute walk. If there's some waiting, it'd be much longer.

I'm all for public transportation, would LOVE to survive with just one car, but this ain't Europe and it's not realistic unless we move into a town with the subway down the street (which are the priciest homes $$$$$). I wish I could.

you would just need to pay the tax and still drive