• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breck, CO 11/14/14

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
So I haven't been that excited about Breckenridge's opening day, mainly because Breck pushed their opening day back a whole week because of warm temperatures. No one was really jazzed because we haven't had any snow, and the storms we have had come fast and left just the same.

However.. this week.. the snow gods graced us with a snow storm that lasted a full 48 hours and we got over 2 feet of snow I'm pretty sure. Winter is finally here in Breck, and everyone is on board. Gears switched pretty fast as we all started to remember those sweet fluffy turns.

My girlfriend, Karla, and I wanted to get a little bit of a workout in so we actually met at her house this morning and toured over to Peak 8. Made it just by 8:50 and I was able to snap some photos of first chair for work. Greeted with donuts and smiles - everyone was happy to be out there today.

Surprisingly, the lines were minimal. It wasn't too crowded and the lift line was a mere 2 minute wait maybe? I'm not sure if this had a lot to do with the fact that they updated the Colorado SuperChair from a quad to a six pack but either way, it worked.

Snow was fantastic since although they have been blowing like crazy, the groomed runs they had open (Upper Four O'Clock, Springmeier, Crescendo and some lower trails) had a fresh coat of snow that they didn't groom from last night.

All in all, it was a fabulous morning. Back at work for the afternoon...... I'd rather be skiing. :grin:

Cornhead

Looking good, I'll be out in Feb, my Son is at Keystone today.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Huck_It_Baby

Nice! I hit Keystone yesterday and found some decent powder early in the morning. Crowds were present but with the exception of waiting for the Gondola to open I don't think I waited more than 10-12 minutes for a chair.

I skinned up Beaver on Saturday for a full on powder run. With all this snow I have to believe terrain should begin to open up rapidly in the next week or two so long as temps stay cold.

WINTER IS ON!

Cornhead

Nice! I hit Keystone yesterday and found some decent powder early in the morning. Crowds were present but with the exception of waiting for the Gondola to open I don't think I waited more than 10-12 minutes for a chair.

I skinned up Beaver on Saturday for a full on powder run. With all this snow I have to believe terrain should begin to open up rapidly in the next week or two so long as temps stay cold.

WINTER IS ON!

Did you move to CO?

Cornhead

I did! 12 days ago! =)

Sweet, I'll have to look you up when I go out in Feb Where are you living? Now I really feel bad I wasn't able to join you at Stowe.

Huck_It_Baby

That's awesome, congrats on the move!!

Thanks Nick! Already reaping the benefits! =)

Sweet, I'll have to look you up when I go out in Feb Where are you living? Now I really feel bad I wasn't able to join you at Stowe.

I'm in the Vail/Beaver area. Avon to be specific.

Looks like our paths may cross once more! Lemme know when you come out!

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I did! 12 days ago! =)

Congrats as well! Let's hope these storms keep coming.. after I get a snow-blower though. I can't shovel my driveway one more time.

Does Beaver Creek get busy with uphill traffic? I can only imagine how much fun that was. I was out yesterday morning just on the mountains behind my house but the snow was super heavy and didn't really make for great turns.

Huck_It_Baby

Congrats as well! Let's hope these storms keep coming.. after I get a snow-blower though. I can't shovel my driveway one more time.

Does Beaver Creek get busy with uphill traffic? I can only imagine how much fun that was. I was out yesterday morning just on the mountains behind my house but the snow was super heavy and didn't really make for great turns.

Thanks!

Beaver wasn't too bad for uphill traffic. There were a couple skin tracks set but we only saw 4-5 other people coming down the mountain. Passing by Vail yesterday was another story though. It looked like there were tracks all over the place. Maybe it was patrol/mtn ops but my feeling is that Vail sees more uphill action than Beav.

I'm all ears if you have any recommended tours in Breck or elsewhere in Co =)

skiNEwhere

WINTER IS ON!

Very nice! I was at keystone Friday and found powder almost knee deep off of the ranger chair. It wasn't sustained for very long but it's better than nothing in November!
I also found some powder in the trees off of Spring Dipper, that trail was still a little rough and needed a couple more feet, by the time I ducked back out I was on a closed trail, whoops! Although keystone got at least another foot after Friday so the conditions may not have been too bad off the beaten path.

skiNEwhere

What I like about Avon is that other than being next to beaver creek, it's 2 hours from Aspen and steamboat, and 1.5 from sunlight, which are all out of Denver day trip range.

snoseek

Thanks! Avon isn't too bad. I kinda wish I was more near Breck/Silverthorne/Frisco but I'm not complaining!

You have no traffic or Vail pass going east to Vail, closer to aspen, T-ride and Utah. Plus its just warmer.

Skiing looks great, was bony when I passed by but looks like full on winter!

Meanwhile in Tahoe its pretty much snow free under 9k with marginal snowmaking temps....I'm already predicting Kirkwood delays this weekends opening. Glad I got my bike and some extra money, same ol.