• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Breck, CO 11/14/14

skiNEwhere

Will Breck's condition will be good at Thanksgiving Day? I wanna do a rude ride on Breck before eating turkey in lunch. :)

I heard through the grapevine that Peak 9 will be open before Thanksgiving. Which if true means that Breck is sandbagging the opening :uzi:

"Good" is relative though. There's supposedly a storm coming in Sunday night, but it's too far out to give any estimates as to how much snow will accumulate.

Huck_It_Baby

What I like about Avon is that other than being next to beaver creek, it's 2 hours from Aspen and steamboat, and 1.5 from sunlight, which are all out of Denver day trip range.

You have no traffic or Vail pass going east to Vail, closer to aspen, T-ride and Utah. Plus its just warmer.

Good points!

Do you guys ski/ride Vail/Beaver much?

jimk

I'm hoping to ski those two a lot during the month of Feb, including a little spectating at the World Championships in the 1st half of Feb at BC. Might have to stay in a cheap motel in Glenwood Springs for a couple weeks and make the commute from there because it's tough finding something cheap in Avon/Vail. Might look in Minturn, but suspect all close-in lodging will be hard to come by during 1st half of Feb.

skiNEwhere

Good points!

I am one of those people who is on the "Vail is flat" bandwagon. I downgraded my pass from the epic full to the epic local this year, as such I only get 10 days total at Vail/BC.

Vail is such a destination resort that it's always crowded. Even when I went there Wednesday last year, it was crowded, and Wednesday is statistically the least crowded (wasn't a holiday or holiday week either).

Powder days are great, but since I day trip 90% of the time, that means having to go over Vail pass in adverse conditions, to only have 2 hours max of untracked or relatively untracked pow. The snow itself doesn't bother me, but when you throw in slick, packed down snow on a 7% downgrade it makes for some nerve racking driving.

If I do make it there on a pow day, and it's not too crowded, blue sky basin is pretty damn sweet.

I do like Beaver Creek, and will be skiing there more than Vail this season. Rose bowl, grouse Mtn, birds of prey all have some pretty nice terrain. And FREE COOKIES!!

I'll probably ski Vail twice and BC 6 times this season. Really want to make it out to sunlight as well. Never been there but heard great things, judging from their trail map they look to have some fun terrain.

snoseek

I was mostly a Loveland and Winter Park skier in Colorado and trips to T-ride as often as possible. Vail is fun though and some good stuff at Breck (will only ski midweek). I assume you're holding an epic pass?

skiNEwhere

Back to the original topic (sort of) Breck gets a lot of hate but it's really a great resort. If there was a category for the most "underrated overrated resort" Breck would fit the bill.

Although like snoseek was saying skiing mid week is key. Tuesday-Thursday is ideal.

snoseek

Back to the original topic (sort of) Breck gets a lot of hate but it's really a great resort. If there was a category for the most "underrated overrated resort" Breck would fit the bill.

Yup, upper mtn is great skiing

Huck_It_Baby

I am one of those people who is on the "Vail is flat" bandwagon. I downgraded my pass from the epic full to the epic local this year, as such I only get 10 days total at Vail/BC.

Vail is such a destination resort that it's always crowded. Even when I went there Wednesday last year, it was crowded, and Wednesday is statistically the least crowded (wasn't a holiday or holiday week either).

Powder days are great, but since I day trip 90% of the time, that means having to go over Vail pass in adverse conditions, to only have 2 hours max of untracked or relatively untracked pow. The snow itself doesn't bother me, but when you throw in slick, packed down snow on a 7% downgrade it makes for some nerve racking driving.

If I do make it there on a pow day, and it's not too crowded, blue sky basin is pretty damn sweet.

I do like Beaver Creek, and will be skiing there more than Vail this season. Rose bowl, grouse Mtn, birds of prey all have some pretty nice terrain. And FREE COOKIES!!

I'll probably ski Vail twice and BC 6 times this season. .

I assume you're holding an epic pass?

Yep I'm on the Epic pass. I'll bounce around during the season I'm sure. If it's stormy I'll stick to Vail/Beaver to avoid driving otherwise I'll head out to skin or day trip to a different mountain.

Sunlight looks cool. I had never heard of it before you mentioned!