• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Crotched is Blowing Snow!

Tin

Doubt it's the dumb snake runs. Too much potential for people getting lost heading out towards Crotched East. Doubt it's the West Ledge, too much potential for people getting hurt.

If I had to guess, it's UFO area. It's right there in plain sight and would be easy to maintain.

Sadly I think you're right. Hoping it's the clearing above Eclipse. Luckily the other area doesn't have the easiest of entries and the snowmaking pipe that runs there might keep some out.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Which one? I'm looking at CM's trail map online now and I don't recognize any new ones. Unless they haven't updated their map yet?

I said, "At least one off-the-trail map glade was added this summer." If you found it on the trail map, it wouldn't be "off-the-trail map". I'd tell you where it is but then I'd have to shoot you. Seriously though. look for me when you come by and I'll happily show you.

And regarding tin's comment,
So it is now like Jay, for every one on the map there are 4-5 that are not lol
:
I'm sure CM's management would be flattered to be compared with Jay in any way. There is a map in the Ski Patrol shack at the summit that has most of the off-trail-map glades on them. While they are not patrolled, they have gone and got a few people who got in over their heads.

Tin

I would like to see that map. I've seen them on the ledges and in other spots outside the boundaries, just too good not to ski and easy access out. With the exception of over by the base area the entire mountain is one big glade.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I said, "At least one off-the-trail map glade was added this summer." If you found it on the trail map, it wouldn't be "off-the-trail map". I'd tell you where it is but then I'd have to shoot you. Seriously though. look for me when you come by and I'll happily show you.

Did the mountain cut it or locals? I ask, because the lower mountain snake glades Tin referred to was cut by the park staff.

Tin

That's a more complicated question than you might imagine where the answer is not "yes" or "no", so I will decline to reply.

If you are a part of that crew that starts trimming at the first frost I'll buy you a beer up there this year.

Did you guys blow up that rock on the t-bar line that destroys skis this summer? Lol

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
If you are a part of that crew that starts trimming at the first frost I'll buy you a beer up there this year.

Did you guys blow up that rock on the t-bar line that destroys skis this summer? Lol
I am allergic to beer, but thanks for the offer. I'm not sure, but I don't think anything was done to the T-Bar lift line this summer. Last season was the longest in my memory that the T-Bar line skied well enough not to stop (or slow down) to get around the rock you mentioned. It doesn't really matter, I have a few pairs of junk-skis that I'll take on anything - sometimes with minimal (approaching no) snow :LOL:

Newpylong

Not as impressive as Wachusett who destroys them all. They have the ability to get trails online overnight.

I could open up my back yard overnight, because it's also as flat as a table. I am willing to bet Crotched has more capacity.

Last edited:

Quietman

What can they pump in gallons per minute?

From their website.

"At Crotched we have an extensive network of stationary fan type snow machines. What you can't see is the large underground network of electrical wire and over 3,000 feet of 12" and 8" pipe connecting over 100 tower snow guns. As stated above, this system allows us to pump a capacity of 200 gallons per minute per acre or over 6,000 gallons of water per minute on our slopes. It takes about 160,000 gallons of water to make one acres of snow one foot deep. This is 20 tons per minute or 1,250 tons per hour. Or stated another way, a truckload every minute. Pumping some 6,000 gallons of water per minute translates to about six inches of snow over the entire ski area in a 12 hour night!"

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
From their website.

"At Crotched we have an extensive network of stationary fan type snow machines. What you can't see is the large underground network of electrical wire and over 3,000 feet of 12" and 8" pipe connecting over 100 tower snow guns. As stated above, this system allows us to pump a capacity of 200 gallons per minute per acre or over 6,000 gallons of water per minute on our slopes. It takes about 160,000 gallons of water to make one acres of snow one foot deep. This is 20 tons per minute or 1,250 tons per hour. Or stated another way, a truckload every minute. Pumping some 6,000 gallons of water per minute translates to about six inches of snow over the entire ski area in a 12 hour night!"

I know what capacity Crotched has. It has been reported to be the most gallons per minute per acre in the industry.

I think if you will check my posting, I was asking what Wachusett's numbers are.

Quietman

I know what capacity Crotched has. It has been reported to be the most gallons per minute per acre in the industry.

I think if you will check my posting, I was asking what Wachusett's numbers are.

Oops! Missed that!

According to This Article From Feb 2014,

"Snowmaking at Wachusett can draw up to 4,200 gallons of water per minute when the system is close to capacity"

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Oops! Missed that!

According to This Article From Feb 2014,

"Snowmaking at Wachusett can draw up to 4,200 gallons of water per minute when the system is close to capacity"
OK. So CM has about 30% more capacity than Wachusett. If Wachusett wins, it's because CM starting with a full reservoir, can pump the reservoir nominally dry in about 84 hours. I think Wachusett may have a larger water supply.

MadMadWorld

OK. So CM has about 30% more capacity than Wachusett. If Wachusett wins, it's because CM starting with a full reservoir, can pump the reservoir nominally dry in about 84 hours. I think Wachusett may have a larger water supply.

This may be it. Wachusett has a VERY large water supply.

Quietman

I was at Crotched last night and they have more than enough snow to open at least 2-3 routes from the top. They made a business decision to wait until at least next weekend. Some of the whales are freaking huge! And they blew all day today.

Last edited:

Tin

I believe a few years ago they opened with 22-23 trails open because of the system and some love from Mother Nature. My favorite part of their system is how there are a few wooden areas the man made stuff can blow into so you can actually ski trees without natural stuff. It can blow back in Kuiper or if it has been scrapped off can cover the entry ways in the ledge areas.