Crotched is Blowing Snow! - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 42
  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua segal View Post
    What can they pump in gallons per minute?
    From their website.

    "At Crotched we have an extensive network of stationary fan type snow machines. What you can't see is the large underground network of electrical wire and over 3,000 feet of 12" and 8" pipe connecting over 100 tower snow guns. As stated above, this system allows us to pump a capacity of 200 gallons per minute per acre or over 6,000 gallons of water per minute on our slopes. It takes about 160,000 gallons of water to make one acres of snow one foot deep. This is 20 tons per minute or 1,250 tons per hour. Or stated another way, a truckload every minute. Pumping some 6,000 gallons of water per minute translates to about six inches of snow over the entire ski area in a 12 hour night!"

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    From their website.

    "At Crotched we have an extensive network of stationary fan type snow machines. What you can't see is the large underground network of electrical wire and over 3,000 feet of 12" and 8" pipe connecting over 100 tower snow guns. As stated above, this system allows us to pump a capacity of 200 gallons per minute per acre or over 6,000 gallons of water per minute on our slopes. It takes about 160,000 gallons of water to make one acres of snow one foot deep. This is 20 tons per minute or 1,250 tons per hour. Or stated another way, a truckload every minute. Pumping some 6,000 gallons of water per minute translates to about six inches of snow over the entire ski area in a 12 hour night!"
    I know what capacity Crotched has. It has been reported to be the most gallons per minute per acre in the industry.

    I think if you will check my posting, I was asking what Wachusett's numbers are.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua segal View Post
    I know what capacity Crotched has. It has been reported to be the most gallons per minute per acre in the industry.

    I think if you will check my posting, I was asking what Wachusett's numbers are.

    Oops! Missed that!

    According to This Article From Feb 2014,

    "Snowmaking at Wachusett can draw up to 4,200 gallons of water per minute when the system is close to capacity"

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Quietman View Post
    Oops! Missed that!

    According to This Article From Feb 2014,

    "Snowmaking at Wachusett can draw up to 4,200 gallons of water per minute when the system is close to capacity"
    OK. So CM has about 30% more capacity than Wachusett. If Wachusett wins, it's because CM starting with a full reservoir, can pump the reservoir nominally dry in about 84 hours. I think Wachusett may have a larger water supply.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua segal View Post
    OK. So CM has about 30% more capacity than Wachusett. If Wachusett wins, it's because CM starting with a full reservoir, can pump the reservoir nominally dry in about 84 hours. I think Wachusett may have a larger water supply.
    This may be it. Wachusett has a VERY large water supply.

  6. #36
    I was at Crotched last night and they have more than enough snow to open at least 2-3 routes from the top. They made a business decision to wait until at least next weekend. Some of the whales are freaking huge! And they blew all day today.
    Last edited by Quietman; Nov 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM.

  7. #37
    Tin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    ZooMass Slamherst
    Posts
    2,985
    I believe a few years ago they opened with 22-23 trails open because of the system and some love from Mother Nature. My favorite part of their system is how there are a few wooden areas the man made stuff can blow into so you can actually ski trees without natural stuff. It can blow back in Kuiper or if it has been scrapped off can cover the entry ways in the ledge areas.

  8. #38

  9. #39
    They are opening on Friday with 2 ways down from the top!

  10. #40
    Pretty good. The only thing that Wawa wins at is starter jackets and jeans per acre.

    "man you make it look so fluid"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 8:58 PM.