• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Goggle's for a sweaty SOB

murff81

Why do you want a Pret? Ever try one on? They are decent helmets, small over all size and a nice magnet chin strap on some of there models. I have tried them all on, with many pairs of goggles and just can't find something to make me happy.
Do you own a Pret (which model)? I have found a bunch of reviews with the Arnett Skylight, Smith IO , and zeal level all being a good fit. I know everyone s face is different but just curious. Pret is somewhat new so theirs not exactly a ton of goggle fit info

Hawkshot99

Not 100% sold on Pret, I like the ventilation system, weight, that custom fit knob thing and the magnetic strap. evo has them on sale now, the Effect is $87 and Cynic is $51, pretty good price for what you get. I also like the way it looks...

My only experience with a helmet is my Giro mountain biking helmet....

I do plan on waiting till my goggles come in and will take them to my local shop and see what is most compatible, but most of the helmets I have seen at my local shop don't look very good....the deal on evo was the main reason for me saying 'I would bit the bullet and just buy them'
Do you own a Pret (which model)? I have found a bunch of reviews with the Arnett Skylight, Smith IO , and zeal level all being a good fit. I know everyone s face is different but just curious. Pret is somewhat new so theirs not exactly a ton of goggle fit info

I do not own a Pret, but do sell them. I have the Effect, Cynic, and Shamen in store. If I were to buy one it would be the Effect, but I would choose helmets from others brands first.

The ventilation system on their helmets is far behind other brands. On the Cynic, you must take the helmet off, and fold some flaps over the holes to close the venting. On the Effect, you have a external switch to control the vents. On both however, you only have the actual holes for air to lift off your head. On most other helmet brands they have channels carved into the shell of the helmet to have a flow through system for venting.
For the custom fit knob, it is nothing special. 95% of recreational helmets have a custom fit system in them. The Pret one isn't bad, but nothing special. The positive of it is that it is large enough to work with gloves on, but realistically, I never adjust mine while skiing....
Weight of them is on the lower side, because they have a slightly smaller exterior shell(less material=less weight). I do not have a scale in store to weigh them though. Helmets such as the Giro Montane, do weigh less though.
The feature I really like is the magnetic chin strap. Doesn't seem that special, till you put gloves on and try to work a traditional chin strap. The effect does have the magnet, the cynic does not....

As for fit with goggles, that is were I have a big problem with them. The Effect fits my head the most comfortable(the Cynic not at all, so never tried any goggles with it). I have tried it on with Oakley Crowbar/Canopy, Smith I/O X, and Spy Doom/Bravos. All of these goggles fit quite poorly with the helmet. Most of them sit kinda far off your face, meaning they don't sit very well in the goggle area of the Effect. Some, such as the Crowbar hit the small brim area of the helmet and are pushed down uncomfortably.

For reference I wear a Smith Vantage, with either Oakley Crowbars, or Canopy's. Last year I wore the Smith Variance.

The Pret's might be a perfect helmet for you, but I am less than thrilled with their offerings.

murff81

Wow, Thx you hawk....that is very helpful info. I will wait till my goggles come in and take a trip to the ski shops in the area. Never skied/worn goggles with a helmet before so I won't leave it to chance....

murff81

Use winter20 to get 20% off at backcountry. Try levelninesports. And even Ebay.

I like dragons. I just got a pair of X2's on eBay with two lenses for $140.
What helmet do you use with your Dragon's?