Social Media and backcountry?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Social Media and backcountry?

I am 100% positive that this storm CO got has EVERYONE out in the back country.... before its ready technically. We had an out of bounds hike that led to a slide just the other day on Breck and I saw people hiking/skinning/touring whatever you want to call it without any of the appropriate gear.

There are safe spots out there (on and off the resort) to go. Breck sees slides all the time (mostly controlled; ok almost always controlled) but I'm still shocked that people think it's ok to head out after our first snow storm of the season. People seem to throw caution to the wind.....we have no base and yet they head up unopened peaks that are normally heavily patrolled during the season.

I, in some ways, am the epitome of "not being safe" except when it comes to snow stability.

What I'm wondering is if it really is social media putting this "cool" factor onto back country touring, etc. that will take a bigger effect in the long run. Hopefully the worst that happens is a core shot.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Or Darwinism?
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ski stef View Post
    I
    What I'm wondering is if it really is social media putting this "cool" factor onto back country touring, etc. that will take a bigger effect in the long run. Hopefully the worst that happens is a core shot.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Yup, the hype of social media, forums, use nets (old term for forums), etc.. have definitely added to the lure, that and the equipment has become more accessible for the average Joe. In the old days you needed to tele, or the old Randonee gear was finicky. And, then there are the new skis, they make it possible for any gaper to shred wild snow, something that wasn't easy with skinny skis. It's real Bro Bra now...

Social media doesn't help but the GoPro is really to blame. Everyone thinks they are Warren Miller now. And yes, I believe GoPro should be held responsibly for every BC fatality this year.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    Social media doesn't help but the GoPro is really to blame. Everyone thinks they are Warren Miller now. And yes, I believe GoPro should be held responsibly for every BC fatality this year.

Thats why I bought a Sony

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post

Gotta share or post those vids somewhere.

It's already out there. You can see cops light up a criminal from 10 feet away while they're wearing a pov cam. I'm shocked people haven't released GoPro video of someone dying in an avalanche or going off a jump. The footage is out there some weirdo

Loveland pass is the worst in terms of people having no f***ing idea what they are doing. Even if I take all the proper precautions, I'm still afraid I'm going to have an avalanche above me triggered by a skier standing on a cornice to get a better view.
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

What about Blue Mountain Backcountry excursions. Too soon?
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Do you think it's social media or also a lack of knowledge?

I will be the first to admit that I have very low understanding of what causes risk in the backcountry, as such I wouldn't attempt it without going with someone who was knowledgeable on the area I was planning on hitting

There's no denying, photos here and on Facebook of people going down untracked slopes, with powder shots to the face, create a huge amount of draw for me, and I"m sure for anyone else that loves the snow.

I think I read on Harvey's blog that there is an upcoming BC gathering regarding NY state BC skiing. I know they have similar meetings in VT before too, that deal with the increase in exposure BC skiing is getting.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Thread Information