• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Social Media and backcountry?

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I am 100% positive that this storm CO got has EVERYONE out in the back country.... before its ready technically. We had an out of bounds hike that led to a slide just the other day on Breck and I saw people hiking/skinning/touring whatever you want to call it without any of the appropriate gear.

There are safe spots out there (on and off the resort) to go. Breck sees slides all the time (mostly controlled; ok almost always controlled) but I'm still shocked that people think it's ok to head out after our first snow storm of the season. People seem to throw caution to the wind.....we have no base and yet they head up unopened peaks that are normally heavily patrolled during the season.

I, in some ways, am the epitome of "not being safe" except when it comes to snow stability.

What I'm wondering is if it really is social media putting this "cool" factor onto back country touring, etc. that will take a bigger effect in the long run. Hopefully the worst that happens is a core shot.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Scruffy

I
What I'm wondering is if it really is social media putting this "cool" factor onto back country touring, etc. that will take a bigger effect in the long run. Hopefully the worst that happens is a core shot.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Yup, the hype of social media, forums, use nets (old term for forums), etc.. have definitely added to the lure, that and the equipment has become more accessible for the average Joe. In the old days you needed to tele, or the old Randonee gear was finicky. And, then there are the new skis, they make it possible for any gaper to shred wild snow, something that wasn't easy with skinny skis. It's real Bro Bra now...

MadMadWorld

Social media doesn't help but the GoPro is really to blame. Everyone thinks they are Warren Miller now. And yes, I believe GoPro should be held responsibly for every BC fatality this year.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

It's already out there. You can see cops light up a criminal from 10 feet away while they're wearing a pov cam. I'm shocked people haven't released GoPro video of someone dying in an avalanche or going off a jump. The footage is out there some weirdo

skiNEwhere

Loveland pass is the worst in terms of people having no f***ing idea what they are doing. Even if I take all the proper precautions, I'm still afraid I'm going to have an avalanche above me triggered by a skier standing on a cornice to get a better view.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Do you think it's social media or also a lack of knowledge?

I will be the first to admit that I have very low understanding of what causes risk in the backcountry, as such I wouldn't attempt it without going with someone who was knowledgeable on the area I was planning on hitting

There's no denying, photos here and on Facebook of people going down untracked slopes, with powder shots to the face, create a huge amount of draw for me, and I"m sure for anyone else that loves the snow.

I think I read on Harvey's blog that there is an upcoming BC gathering regarding NY state BC skiing. I know they have similar meetings in VT before too, that deal with the increase in exposure BC skiing is getting.

bobbutts

Safety is not really a priority for most people, especially under 30.
Nobody put blame on trophy for every kid culture yet. I'd say having generation where the losers think they're just as good as the winners contributes to people ending up in situations they're unprepared for.

Scruffy

I will be the first to admit that I have very low understanding of what causes risk in the backcountry, as such I wouldn't attempt it without going with someone who was knowledgeable on the area I was planning on hitting

There's no denying, photos here and on Facebook of people going down untracked slopes, with powder shots to the face, create a huge amount of draw for me, and I"m sure for anyone else that loves the snow.

I think I read on Harvey's blog that there is an upcoming BC gathering regarding NY state BC skiing. I know they have similar meetings in VT before too, that deal with the increase in exposure BC skiing is getting.

The lack of knowledge is the danger Stef was referring to. Social media is the impulse drive that is attracting the lemmings.

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yup, the hype of social media, forums, use nets (old term for forums), etc.. have definitely added to the lure, that and the equipment has become more accessible for the average Joe. In the old days you needed to tele, or the old Randonee gear was finicky. And, then there are the new skis, they make it possible for any gaper to shred wild snow, something that wasn't easy with skinny skis. It's real Bro Bra now...

I just wonder then where does or CAN the education start? In social media? At the store?

ski stef

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Loveland pass is the worst in terms of people having no f***ing idea what they are doing. Even if I take all the proper precautions, I'm still afraid I'm going to have an avalanche above me triggered by a skier standing on a cornice to get a better view.
Yeaaaah, I've heard this around the block. It's unfortunate. Loveland is actually on my list this year - with caution..

Scruffy

I just wonder then where does or CAN the education start? In social media? At the store?

It needs to be Everywhere. The education is there and has been pushed, in the past. When I stared BC skiing years ago, Avy education and snow sense was talked about and stressed everywhere. Magazines, web sites, specialty brick and mortar stores where you would find the gear, groups like the AMC, etc... Web sites with forums, like this, had special sections dedicated to Avy talk. The numbers of people getting into BC skiing where small, and from what I saw, people didn't just buy gear and go without getting into a group and learning the ropes from them. Taking avy courses was part of the initiation process.

Now, a credit card, a virtual BC store, and some of my, equally ignorant, bros is all it takes. There's a whole new wave of Dawn Patrollers that are skinning the resorts for exercise, some of them will gravitate to the BC without the proper education.

Social Media can play a part in spreading the word about the need for the education, but ultimately, people need to step up and make it their responsibility to seek it out before they go. The horse to water thing.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com

Thanks for reading Nick. :)

I think what you may have read is related but not a meetup.

For the first time in 25 years NY is considering modifying the SLMP (State Land Management Plan) to improve backcountry skiing. BC skiing has really grown due to advancements in gear.

There are many skiers who feel that BC skiing is an appropriate low impact use of state land.

If you agree it would be great if you'd send a short note voicing your support to the NY DEC. Deadline is Dec 5.

NYSB is really behind the effort, but to date there is no front page story with detail, only a forum post. Details for how to respond are below.

(Nick, apologies for this forum-to-forum link which can be considered uncool between mods. If you delete I completely understand or PM me if you have a different idea.)

http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Speak-out-for-backcountry-skiing-in-the-Adks-td4046728.html

Last edited:

ScottySkis

I go back country to hang with Mary Jane with helmet is for protection. I go with people who know the place . be stupid to go something like that on your own.