• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

which cost more - skis or boots

skis or boots, which cost more?

• Total voters

skiNEwhere

I know I got a good deal, on a hot ski and binding, in the middle of the season. So maybe I just don't care what others said, or it didn't register.

But it was a win to me!

deadheadskier

Staff member
I cannot fathom paying $700+ for skis or that much for boots - what is the point unless you compete, but if you are that good you should be sponsored. !

I was not trying to impose my beliefs on him - I did not even quote him. I have trouble wrapping my head around spending a lot of money on gear especially when the prices on mush of this stuff drops so dramatically (especially online) - this is an expensive sport. He talked about how much he spends I like to talk about how much I save - is that so wrong?

First of all, you were implying that no one should spend $700 on skis. That's not imposing beliefs on him, that's imposing beliefs on everyone. Perhaps this is simply a case of you not conveying your thoughts in writing properly, but the sentence quoted states only people who compete and are sponsored should spend $700 on skis. Maybe that's not what you meant, but it is what the sentence says. If that's not what you meant, chalk it up as a misunderstanding and everyone moves on.

2nd, I'm pretty certain Hawkshot was talking list pricing and not what he actually paid. List price skis + bindings are going to be more expensive than list price boots. I doubt he paid those prices as a ski shop manager with the pro deals some people in that profession get. Given his profession, he also may take some issue with some of the gear advice you have given in the past; especially concerning boots. You might not appreciate the difference some higher end gear makes, but some others will. Hawkshot has been working ski retail for YEARS. Given that experience, he's going to know more about equipment than a recreational user like you or I.

The reality is, the deal is in the eye of the beholder. You might not think $700 is worth it for trying out this years tech. Other people do; nothing wrong with that. The extra money might be worth it to them. IIRC from a prior conversation you drive a giant V8 SUV that gets horrid gas mileage. That's what you want and that's totally cool. The same person who buys those $700 skis might drive a fuel efficient diesel and actually spend less on skiing than you do because his fuel savings amounts to more than your gear savings.

It's all a matter a personal preference and everyone is different.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
If no one paid full retail price for skis in a very short while we'd all be skiing on these bad boys.

skier-afghanistan_61077_990x742.jpg

dlague

To each their own - I am moving on. I am happy with my gear and others are happy with theirs.

It is a misunderstanding because I expressed my opinion - does not mean others have to agree and are allowed to disagree!

skiNEwhere

To be offended, one must care.

On a random note, why do all of your posts end with "..........."?

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Is that even realistically possible? It's like MSRP on a car.

It definitely happens. I used to sell home fitness equipment, and every so often you'd get someone in the store who wants to best model that you sell, and doesn't flinch when you tell them how much it is.

It also came up when I was talking to a sales rep at Ken Jones in Manchester, NH about the Volkl V-Werks. He said he sells a couple every year to people who drive up in Porsches, and only look at the prices to justify to themselves that they're getting the best ski in the store.

dlague

2nd, I'm pretty certain Hawkshot was talking list pricing and not what he actually paid. List price skis + bindings are going to be more expensive than list price boots. I doubt he paid those prices as a ski shop manager with the pro deals some people in that profession get. Given his profession, he also may take some issue with some of the gear advice you have given in the past; especially concerning boots. You might not appreciate the difference some higher end gear makes, but some others will. Hawkshot has been working ski retail for YEARS. Given that experience, he's going to know more about equipment than a recreational user like you or I.

This explains a lot! In addition, I am sorry, with the plethora of videos, reviews and data available online, so much can be learned without stepping foot into a shop. Even forums like this one help a lot. Personally, I will always research online and know what I am looking at so when on the few occasions I walk into a shop I can spot good deals! In any case, I mostly buy online.

Disclaimer - this is my own opinion and not necessarily for the intended use by others!

deadheadskier

Staff member
dlague,

You can spare the disclaimers when you write correctly. ;)

To review again. Your first claim was written that ANYONE who pays 700 for skis either should be competition level or sponsored. Meaning, you think someone like skianywhere shouldn't buy the skis he did. That's what caused Hawkshot to call you out for you telling other people how they should spend their money.

You have since further explained it's your own opinion for your personal skiing budget and you don't care what other people do. Fair enough....we can all move on. No need for future disclaimers. ;)

And regards to the availability of information on the internet for research? Yeah, we all do that. No, none of us are going to be as knowledgeable as a long time ski shop manager. We're not privy to the knowledge coming from manufacturer reps that a store manager receives, nor do we go to the training seminars they do nor do we live, eat and breath ski talk 40-60 hours a week professionally. You can acquire a lot of knowledge on the internet, but no, you and I don't know nearly as much about gear as someone like Hawkshot. Amateur vs. Professional

dlague

dlague,

You can spare the disclaimers when you write correctly. ;)

To review again. Your first claim was written that ANYONE who pays 700 for skis either should be competition level or sponsored. Meaning, you think someone like skianywhere shouldn't buy the skis he did. That's what caused Hawkshot to call you out for you telling other people how they should spend their money.

You have since further explained it's your own opinion for your personal skiing budget and you don't care what other people do. Fair enough....we can all move on. No need for future disclaimers. ;)

And regards to the availability of information on the internet for research? Yeah, we all do that. No, none of us are going to be as knowledgeable as a long time ski shop manager. We're not privy to the knowledge coming from manufacturer reps that a store manager receives, nor do we go to the training seminars they do nor do we live, eat and breath ski talk 40-60 hours a week professionally. You can acquire a lot of knowledge on the internet, but no, you and I don't know nearly as much about gear as someone like Hawkshot. Amateur vs. Professional

Fair enough!

VTKilarney

Where a ski shop manager can really come in handy is knowledge about their product. The ski industry is full of shameless (and usually meaningless) reviews that are nothing more than pandering to the manufacturers. I'd love to see a website that has accurate and honest reviews of equipment. The only place you can find that is in forums, as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, I've often wondered if people critique skis like they do wines. Sure, there are differences - but some people seem to claim to have near paranormal sensory abilities. I'm not convinced that the difference in skis of a similar geometry is as much as people want to believe. I'm also convinced that people who pay top dollar are inclined to think that their skis are more special than they actually are. In other words, if you are not a racer or starring in a Warren Miller film, is a $1,300 pair of skis that much different than a $1,000 pair of skis? Than a $750 pair of skis? At some point there have to be diminishing returns.

Hawkshot99

Where a ski shop manager can really come in handy is knowledge about their product. The ski industry is full of shameless (and usually meaningless) reviews that are nothing more than pandering to the manufacturers. I'd love to see a website that has accurate and honest reviews of equipment. The only place you can find that is in forums, as far as I can tell.

On the other hand, I've often wondered if people critique skis like they do wines. Sure, there are differences - but some people seem to claim to have near paranormal sensory abilities. I'm not convinced that the difference in skis of a similar geometry is as much as people want to believe. I'm also convinced that people who pay top dollar are inclined to think that their skis are more special than they actually are. In other words, if you are not a racer or starring in a Warren Miller film, is a $1,300 pair of skis that much different than a $1,000 pair of skis? Than a $750 pair of skis? At some point there have to be diminishing returns.

I read all of the ski reviews, only because I want to have some clue what they say when a person starts quoting them. I do not take any of them seriously. For starters, the ski manufactures sponsor the mag. If Ski Magazine says bad thinks about Volkl, Volkl will stop advertising. Secondly I can not remember ever reading a negative review in a magazine.

There are some pretty decent differences in gear that on paper is basically the same. Can every one feel them? Maybe, maybe not. But when I ran a on mtn demo center the majority of customers can.

mishka

We're not privy to the knowledge coming from manufacturer reps that a store manager receives, nor do we go to the training seminars they do nor do we live, eat and breath ski talk 40-60 hours a week professionally. You can acquire a lot of knowledge on the internet, but no, you and I don't know nearly as much about gear as someone like Hawkshot. Amateur vs. Professional

Manufacturer rep not necessarily ultimate source of knowledge imho

What do you want to know? lol

Brad J

I was a spoiled kid my dad bought me a pair of Hart Javlin xxl when I was 14 in 1969 , they were $200 plus bindings (look nevada) so I have alway's had expensive equipment.( still have them) now that I am older ,skiing and ski equipment is a big part of my life's enjoyment. I am very cheap on many other things but skiing is not one of them. Having good equipment for different conditions is so worth it to me, and at the end of the day that what matters. I do have 8 year old boots that I payed full price on from a really good boot fitter and with a new liner( zip fits ) still ski great.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You should post a picture of the Javelin's. Crazy to think they made a $200 ski in 1969. I'd love to see what they look like.