• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

which cost more - skis or boots

skis or boots, which cost more?

• Total voters

gmcunni

i guess i forgot the fact that many have more than 1 pair of skis (since i'm cheap and have 1 ski quiver)... so consider your primary ski i guess... :dunce:

Hawkshot99

A top level boot is not as expensive as a decent pair of skis.
I ski Dalbello Panterra. They are a $550 dollar boot. Footbeds were $100-150 depending on shop/work level. So $650-700. None of the skis in that price range would make me super happy. My least expensive ski is $650 +$229 binding. And I would venture that most of the people on here are looking at similar or higher #'s.

*All that assumes you don't find a awesome deal one way or another.

dlague

I never ever have bought skis the year they are released. I buy skis that have been on the market for at least a year. For example: this summer, I bought 2013-2014 skis for 60% off. Same applies with boots - 50% off. Bindings do not seem to be tied to the year. I find that a ski flat and boot prices to be similar 70% if the time but adding the binding to a ski clears makes the ski + binding > ski boots!

I cannot fathom paying $700+ for skis or that much for boots - what is the point unless you compete, but if you are that good you should be sponsored. However, I do get that for some, having the latest graphic is worth it - I am just OK with last years. Oh, there is a newer technology in a ski - I can live without it for at least a year, I have so far!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yes always year before model year. Spent $350 on last years boots this summer marked down from $600 and $350 on skis through a blem sale.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I was gonna say I'd never buy a used pair of boots but remembered that my touring boots, which I bought used from Intl Mt School were only $35. However, I don't think I'd ever buy used alpine only boots - I might buy on close out. I don't think I could beat $200 for unused skis (flat).

skiNEwhere

Got the Lange lx130 last season. MSRP $700, got them for $350 since they were the previous years model. Plus $150 for liners (which still don't totally for right :/)

Last skis Rossi soul 7 with marker duke binding. MSRP $1,100, got them for $800 used once.

"Winner" - Ski's. Not to mention, you don't need to tune boots once they fit right. You still have to wax and sharpen skis periodically.

BenedictGomez

I never ever have bought skis the year they are released. I buy skis that have been on the market for at least a year. For example: this summer, I bought 2013-2014 skis for 60% off.

I'm disappointed to hear that you buy new skis. I thought you were as uber-frugal as I am.

Hawkshot99

I cannot fathom paying $700+ for skis or that much for boots - what is the point unless you compete, but if you are that good you should be sponsored. However, I do get that for some, having the latest graphic is worth it - I am just OK with last years. Oh, there is a newer technology in a ski - I can live without it for at least a year, I have so far!

Who the hell are you to go on and on in every thread about how others should be spending their money? We get it, you are a cheap skate who wants to spend as little money as possible on everything. Some people are willing to spend more, so why don't you get off your high horse and chill out.

dlague

Who the hell are you to go on and on in every thread about how others should be spending their money? We get it, you are a cheap skate who wants to spend as little money as possible on everything. Some people are willing to spend more, so why don't you get off your high horse and chill out.

Whoa! Easy big boy! Cheap skate and skiing do not go hand in hand! Some people have the money to spend and others do not! You are one of the lucky ones I quess! You probably drive a Porsche too! To each their own!

Hawkshot99

Whoa! Easy big boy! Cheap skate and skiing do not go hand in hand! Some people have the money to spend and others do not! You are one of the lucky ones I quess! You probably drive a Porsche too! To each their own!

I drive a Honda that I bought used....I wouldn't consider myself "one of the lucky ones". I would consider myself a person who works their ass off. FT job 40-60 hours a week depending on season, and running a separate business after work.

I am just sick and tired of you going on in every thread about how you know so much more than every one else when getting your gear, and a person is dumb for spending more than you think is proper.

skiNEwhere

I drive a Honda that I bought used....I wouldn't consider myself "one of the lucky ones". I would consider myself a person who works their ass off. FT job 40-60 hours a week depending on season, and running a separate business after work.

I am just sick and tired of you going on in every thread about how you know so much more than every one else when getting your gear, and a person is dumb for spending more than you think is proper.

Been holding this in a while?

I'm not seeing where dlague has been "imposing his will" onto others, as it seems you're implying

dlague

Look - sorry that you are offended! I never quoted you! I am not the only person trying to find bargins when purchasing ski gear, I and not the only one trying to get their average per visit cost down, I am not the only one that contributes to threads like -

How cheap can you ski?
Skiing on the Cheap - 2014-15 Edition
The skiing stereotype of being well off
Advice on a cheap ski set up
and others ....

I like to share ideas, links and approaches that others may be able to use. THAT IS WHO THE HELL I AM!

Get over it - you like the newest gear and that's ok!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Been holding this in a while?

I'm not seeing where dlague has been "imposing his will" onto others, as it seems you're implying

Well according to dlague he thinks you spending $800 on your skis is foolish because you don't compete and that you should only have that kind of gear if you are sponsored.

Its one thing to feel that way about your own gear budget, its another to project those beliefs on how others spend their money.

SkiFanE

I bought first pair of new skis/bindings over the summer for $499, been buying used last few times and just haven't had the time to search, or when I did I had no luck, so I caved and saw a deal and jumped on it. Then I bought new boots in October for $550. I run stuff into the ground, so I expect to be good for next 5 years. I'd never buy used boots, the ones before this were a year old model and 50% off - I mentioned in another thread that I got mine this fall (this years model) and they're already sold out - so I feel good about getting them, even though not as cheap as I'd like.

dlague

Well according to dlague he thinks you spending $800 on your skis is foolish because you don't compete and that you should only have that kind of gear if you are sponsored.

Its one thing to feel that way about your own gear budget, its another to project those beliefs on how others spend their money.

I was not trying to impose my beliefs on him - I did not even quote him. I have trouble wrapping my head around spending a lot of money on gear especially when the prices on mush of this stuff drops so dramatically (especially online) - this is an expensive sport. He talked about how much he spends I like to talk about how much I save - is that so wrong?

My sister used to blow over a $1000 on skis every other year and I never understood that. I would even show her the same skis for less online. Finally this past year, her husband thought that there has to be a better way and she finally thought about it more and paid way less. Some people don't mind paying top dollar - thats ok! While others do not know any better because they are new.

I would love to see access to this sport by those who are less fortunate!