• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowbird: November 23, 2014

thetrailboss

Staff member
Ski Area: Snowbird, Utah

Date: November 23, 2014

Weather: Heavy snow. Temps in the 20's.

Conditions: P/PP (19" of new snow from the storm at opening). 39" base.

2015 Report No.: 2

Report: After yesterday, I figured I would go up for a few hours at Alta to enjoy the new snow on the few routes that they had open. All systems were go as I left SLC. But as I got to the mouth of LCC, I was greeted by slow traffic (to be expected) and the digital traffic sign reading, "ALTA CLOSED UNTIL 1PM". :blink: For a ski area that prides itself on opening quickly after big snowstorms, this was a HUGE surprise. No problem for me...Snowbird it was.

Clearly Snowbird is shortstaffed or has not had training because the Keystone Cops were running the parking lots. At 8:30 on a storm day that was forecast for several days, and when they had one lift going, they had NOT plowed the Creekside Parking Lot. Wow. And the parking lot attendants were doing one of these:

scarecrow.jpg

It was quite a shitshow.

After parking at the main lot (with no real way to get to Creekside except bus since the trail was not open) I got the shuttle and got booted up in Creekside before joining the masses at Gadzoom.

It was a solid 15 minute wait (at least) for singles. First run was as expected--groomed machine made snow with a blanket of pow on top and some churned up powder on the sides. On the lower part I hit the ungroomed and found boot-deep fresh at least. It was nice.

Back up again and found more of the same. Then it got interesting. They stopped loading saying that they needed to do more avi work. For the next 90 minutes they worked areas above Mid-Gad Restaurant and other areas. We could hear charges. Some folks left; most hung around. I called Alta and got a big "?" as to their intent. At one point I actually went to the UTA Bus stop intent on getting a bus up to Alta, but as fate would have it, there was no bus service this weekend. Before calling it quits, I heard shouts for joy and saw GadZoom begin to turn. I got back in line and did another spin.

It was getting bumpy, but still fun. After descending from the so-called "Pepsi Challenge" on the top of Big Emma, I came across a snowboarder and a skier stopped on the left-middle side of the trail. As normal, I slid in and asked if everything was OK, assuming that I would get the "my ski popped off, all's fine, thanks" line. Instead it was obvious that the skier had injured her knee, probably pretty badly, and needed help. By absolute coincidence the snowboarder was in nursing school and she knew exactly what to do. My guess was possible ACL issue and with Big Emma being the only route down the traffic was pretty heavy so I decided to stay put and help out (or at least deflect traffic). Two folks with radios stopped by shortly thereafter--one with a ski team and one with Mountain Ops. Both called for patrol. An Ambassador stopped by and also began diverting traffic as well. I kept talking to the injured woman and assuring her that things would be fine. I also got some more info as to what happened and her injury.

Ski Patrol arrived to assess--the sled came about five minutes later. When ski patrol got involved I stood off to the side and offered to help in anyway needed. The nurse snowboarded to the base to find the injured woman's friend. A short time later the friend showed up and I explained what happened and where her and her friend were going (both were new to Snowbird). A couple other Ambassadors arrived including one I recognized from earlier whom I had shot the breeze while waiting for the lift.

I had talked with the injured skier quite a bit during the 30 minutes or so that I stood by helping--mainly trying to keep from going into shock and also just trying to distract her from the pain. She just moved from NJ and was in dental school. Her friend was from Tahoe/Northstar. Both first time skiers at Snowbird. I told them that I was sure that all would be fine. Ski Patrol also thought that she was not too badly injured.They got her braced up, in the sled, and then headed to Snowbird Center. The woman was in pain, but was able to thank me. Ski Patrol and the Ambassadors also thanked me for helping. I just said it was the least I could do. I also love the place and just want to be a good Snowbird skier.

After that I did one more spin before grabbing the shuttle back to my car and enduring a painfully slow and slippery drive out of the Canyon.

Day 2 down in the books. Was it worth it for five runs? Absolutely. I've been waiting all summer for this. And a powder day nonetheless. Alta? It never opened. Very odd. The woman and her friend? They went to the Clinic and hopefully she only had a pulled muscle or something minor.

Pics soon.

CoolMike

Thanks for the trip report!

Could you do me a favor and take a couple of shots of the view from the summit facing the 'front' and facing the back bowl on a bluebird day?

I was there last year and on the first day had a crazy beautiful blue bird day. I didn't take any photos even though the views were stunning! I kept telling myself that I'd have other chances during my vacation. The next few days were very snowy but with the cloud coverage there was no visibility and I never again saw the beautiful snow covered mountains and canyons.

Now I am filled with regret!

Great trip report by the way - Utah is a paradise unrivaled in the universe in my opinion.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Thanks for the trip report!

Could you do me a favor and take a couple of shots of the view from the summit facing the 'front' and facing the back bowl on a bluebird day?

I was there last year and on the first day had a crazy beautiful blue bird day. I didn't take any photos even though the views were stunning! I kept telling myself that I'd have other chances during my vacation. The next few days were very snowy but with the cloud coverage there was no visibility and I never again saw the beautiful snow covered mountains and canyons.

Now I am filled with regret!

Great trip report by the way - Utah is a paradise unrivaled in the universe in my opinion.

I will have to go through the archives and get a few.....I have quite a few of Mineral Basin.