• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Seeded Moguls vs. Natural Moguls

Tin

I think the seeded bumps and modern technique (pre-compression ect) are much easier on the body than old school technique. To lazy to look for youtubes but compare an old glen plake vid to a recent world cup comp, way more body slamming.

I prefer good natural to seeded but was more than happy to have 4 seeded lines at blue opening weekend - sunday we had buttery spring bumps!

Stevie Wonder could zip line that. Making it a little easy.

Brad J

Well I blew my ACL on seeded bumps 16 years ago at Waterville Valley so I am not a fan. with that said , seeded moguls are not as much of a challenge as natural bumps for the reasons that Kevin F stated earlier. Part of the fun for me in natural bumps is finding a good line and staying with it. With seeded bumps it a matter of speed control. either way its all fun. FYI Joshua your premiss on the liability of ski coaches is both sad and laughable.

jack97

deadheadskier said, "UFO is the perfect trail at Crotched for them to seed..."
Actually, they seeded the east side of Magnitude (a.k.a. The Upper Park, a.k.a. the Valley Chair Lift Line) last winter. It never gained popularity.

not my intent to pile on but imo, the seeding exp never caught on because upper park is essentially a terrain park. after the bumps, there's limited terrain for skiing since the big jumps take up the width of trails below. so it gets the major eye contact by park rats only. also, the seed formation was a narrow section and in a trench due to the snow guard formed by grooming. you can see them on chair ride up but it can easily be missed when you enter the trail. i know i missed them a couple of times when the crotch put them in two years back.

having said that, i have to give props to them for putting in rollers right in front of the lodge. its something i use when other places don't have a bump run up yet.

Last edited:

gorgonzola

Stevie Wonder could zip line that. Making it a little easy.

yep nice and easy, just lot's of fun and challenging enough for the first weekend back on the snow!
let's see a pic of the volkswagen's you were ripping last weekend...

steamboat1

let's see a pic of the volkswagen's you were ripping last weekend...

Centerline, Stowe
attachment.php

Attachments

• dsc03216__forum.jpg
    dsc03216__forum.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 186

SkiFanE

haha... with all the hyperboles (and yes, that's my word of the week) flying around, I figure I throw this in. Nelson Carmicheal is one of the earliest Olympians to compete in this sport. Wiki said he was born 1965, the vid below was made somewhere around 2013 which puts him around 48, his knees still look fine. I think if he wanted to, he could have used more absorption in that vid but with that bump field and his skill set, it was not needed.

he's my age. I've never competed but been skiing bumps every winter since I was early 20s. Except for a twist from getting caught in tree last winter, never had a problem with my knees. Knock on wood. Bad knees are not a given for bumps and maybe my continual long winters in them has strengthened them. I noticed skiing after my twist last winter (being extra conscious of it) that it's so easy to get lazy in a turn and overuse your knee - rather than your quads pulling your leg to turn. So just being on top of your form and being aligned protects the knee I believe. (I don't know much anatomy so I don't know exactly which leg muscles are used in turns - just that it's easy to overuse the knee rather than the leg muscles). 12-15 spring bump runs last weekend and only my lower back ached end of day, not my knees.

Blanton

I think the seeded bumps and modern technique (pre-compression ect) are much easier on the body than old school technique. To lazy to look for youtubes but compare an old glen plake vid to a recent world cup comp, way more body slamming. I prefer good natural to seeded but was more than happy to have 4 seeded lines at blue opening weekend - sunday we had buttery spring bumps!
Wanted to hit the Blue Mountain contest for a few years now. I have raced downhill bikes there and thought the place had nice square/ steep runs that could ski in great. It's a tough call from Ohio... Holiday Valley is three hours and the additional drive time to Blue makes Killington far more attractive. Looks like a lot of fun and a lot of hurt for an opening weekend!

Greg

Staff member
i'm not sure but seem to recall Greg making a passionate argument that seeded bumps were preferable over natural.

Hardly. But somewhere along the line, people seemed to draw that conclusion. I like good lines, whether they be seeded or natural. Ya'll are still debating this?

Scruffy

Hardly. But somewhere along the line, people seemed to draw that conclusion. I like good lines, whether they be seeded or natural. Ya'll are still debating this?

Nothing else to talk about around here it seems, but the same old discussions that pop up year-over-year. That and politics, and snide remarks to one another. So yeah, the internet hasn't changed.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I'm still making the case for some of the Southern NH areas to seed some bumps like Sundown. 7th season here and still no sign. Only wrinkle is now a new forum member thinks mogul coaches should be criminally charged for injuring their athletes.

That's the only change. The debate has now taken Seeded vs. Natural bumps into the the US Court system.

Greg

Staff member
great, now i have to go and find it.... there goes my evening.

:lol: Knock yourself out. Out of thirty some odd thousand posts, surely only 29,500 were mogul-related. :) Who knows though....might have alluded to something about seeded bumps being preferable at some point, but it was likely in the context of a particular ski area. When skiing somewhere that has any sort of decent natty bumps and natural snow, I'm probably not going to be strictly lapping a bump course. Oh wait, I forgot. I support seeded bumps so I must not know how to ski natural moguls...

Seriously, this debate is so stupid. Good lines are good lines. Anyone that thinks there's a difference probably needs more practice.

gorgonzola

Wanted to hit the Blue Mountain contest for a few years now. I have raced downhill bikes there and thought the place had nice square/ steep runs that could ski in great. It's a tough call from Ohio... Holiday Valley is three hours and the additional drive time to Blue makes Killington far more attractive. Looks like a lot of fun and a lot of hurt for an opening weekend!

The bump and jump is a good time, my son and I do it every year. Not sure it's worth a drive from ohio but would be a fun stop if you can parlay I into an east coast mountain tour. blue has really stepped up their bump game over the last few years with the lines above on opening day and bumps on barney's, nightmare, chute and challenge at any given time

junior at the b&j a few years ago

Attachments

• DSCN9984-1.jpg
    DSCN9984-1.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: