• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

21 and Older Pubs at Ski Areas During the Day?

thetrailboss

Staff member
This weekend while skiing at Cannon we discovered that our son (12) would not be able to eat with us in the Cannonball Pub - BECAUSE IT WAS AFTER 2:30. BTW this is a Saturday only rule. That seemed odd to me since the skiing day had not ended yet and there were plenty of families that might have wanted some pub grub and drinks. Seems to me that this is a money losing proposition. In all my years of skiing and having skied at many other ski areas, I must say that I have never heard of this before. I can certainly see maybe a late night Apres Ski Party, maybe? But not in the middle of the after noon!

Do any of you know where a similar practice takes place? Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Maybe it's been said, but this could be an issue with their liquor license. Some states (like Utah) do not allow those under 21 to be in bars.

Cannonball

The Cannonball Pub can get very crowded on Saturday afternoon for happy hour.I think its more of a money thing.Drinks are a lot more profitable than food.I actually reluctantly skip HH because its way too crowded for me and can be a sauna with all the people.As far as bringing a beer outside the bar,that is not a problem as they sell beer in the cafeteria area.Their license covers that and the deck.

^This.
I've also been annoyed that I couldn't bring my nephews into the bar there at the end of the day. But to consider it a bad business decision is missing the point. It's not like there are empty stools in there. It's packed!! They want to put people on those stools that are buying $7 beers and adult meals vs $2 cokes and chicken fingers.

dlague

Maybe it's been said, but this could be an issue with their liquor license. Some states (like Utah) do not allow those under 21 to be in bars.

In another post I mention several NH ski areas that do not have that rule and they have bands playing Apres Ski. Thats ok Zoomer Bar it is! Just have to find it! :beer:

Puck it

In another post I mention several NH ski areas that do not have that rule and they have bands playing Apres Ski. Thats ok Zoomer Bar it is! Just have to find it! :beer:

Just look for the White FJ.
attachment.php

Attachments

• fjdec.jpg
    fjdec.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 249

603Skier

I agree with bring your own and bag. we usually BBQ in the lot. But when its unbearable cold I fill multiple thermos up and sit right in the thick of it. Man the lot usually always wins though.

dlague

Out of curiosity - how many bring their own food and ADULT beverages and sit in the lodge and enjoy? This past weekend, we premixed some Bloody Caesars and packed a few Harpoon and sat in the Northview Base Lodge. While drinking my IPA my wife noticed the "No Alcohol" sign, but drank it anyhow. The lunch break would take too much time following their rules! I do not see it that often but I do see it which led me to say f' it!

On a warmer day the lot seems to be a way to go there - hence the Zoomer bar!

SkiFanE

Out of curiosity - how many bring their own food and ADULT beverages and sit in the lodge and enjoy? This past weekend, we premixed some Bloody Caesars and packed a few Harpoon and sat in the Northview Base Lodge. While drinking my IPA my wife noticed the "No Alcohol" sign, but drank it anyhow. The lunch break would take too much time following their rules! I do not see it that often but I do see it which led me to say f' it!

On a warmer day the lot seems to be a way to go there - hence the Zoomer bar!

I would never bring an adult beverage to a bar/lodge and drink it - that just sounds wrong. I don't think it gives any regard to the business and what they provide you to eat/drink (warm location, clean table, chairs, rest rooms...). Especially when I have a full tray of $20 lunch for kids and we can't find a place to sit with all the bag lunchers taking tables. But yet you bought a lift ticket, so I'm not saying it's "wrong", just not what I'd do. We bring lunch sometimes, buy sometimes...but we always end up buying a beer or snack for kids, husband has a mug...and since we're at our home mountain 95% of the time - it all works out. What REALLY bugs me are the groups that think they own a table all day long b/c some grandma/aunt/grandpa is not skiing and can hold it...some will lay out a tablecloth all day. AND then they eat their own food. There are no signs saying you are not welcome, no rules...BUT common courtesy should prevail when there are 20 tables for 100s of people and they're being hogs. Some people are just assholes, no way to change that...I'll grab a side of the table and push cloth aside if needed, I can be an ass back :)

Smellytele

I would never bring an adult beverage to a bar/lodge and drink it - that just sounds wrong. I don't think it gives any regard to the business and what they provide you to eat/drink (warm location, clean table, chairs, rest rooms...). Especially when I have a full tray of $20 lunch for kids and we can't find a place to sit with all the bag lunchers taking tables. But yet you bought a lift ticket, so I'm not saying it's "wrong", just not what I'd do. We bring lunch sometimes, buy sometimes...but we always end up buying a beer or snack for kids, husband has a mug...and since we're at our home mountain 95% of the time - it all works out. What REALLY bugs me are the groups that think they own a table all day long b/c some grandma/aunt/grandpa is not skiing and can hold it...some will lay out a tablecloth all day. AND then they eat their own food. There are no signs saying you are not welcome, no rules...BUT common courtesy should prevail when there are 20 tables for 100s of people and they're being hogs. Some people are just assholes, no way to change that...I'll grab a side of the table and push cloth aside if needed, I can be an ass back :)

I have been to some ski areas where people bring crock pots and plug them in and leave them there all day...

snoseek

I'm a firm believer every area needs to make adequate space complete with microwaves, hot water ect...for brown baggers and keep them away from areas where food/drinks are being sold. Simple concept, some areas do better than others at this. Loveland wins hands down

dlague

This past weekend, people were putting their boot bags all across a table while they were out skiing! Where I see this happen often with non skiers is at Bretton Woods!

I have been to some ski areas where people bring crock pots and plug them in and leave them there all day...

My sister-in-law did that one time we were skiing Ragged and there was a row of them not just hers! I know another family that brings a hotdog steamer. I stayed away from my sister-in-law and sat at a different table while we ate resort purchased food and drinks. It just seemed weird.

BTW - this was the first time we brought our own adult beverages - were not sure if much would be open. I do see quite a few people bringing their own which is due to the fact that few resorts have places where you can have a bagged lunch and order a drink/beer! If I come in the lodge to eat, I want to have a beer and eat lunch - not have lunch then go have a beer. I would never bring a bagged lunch into a place where you can order food likewise I would not bring my drinks into an area they sell beverages.

Ragged does a great job with that. Huge area for people who bring their own food and they can order drinks from the bar and drink them there. That does not seem to be an option in Northview or in Peabody.

Cannonball

Ragged does a great job with that. Huge area for people who bring their own food and they can order drinks from the bar and drink them there. That does not seem to be an option in Northview or in Peabody.

FYI it's "Notchview". I frequently bring my own food to the Peabody lodge and/or deck and eat it with a beer bought from the cafeteria or bar or deck (they sell in all 3 places). Notchview also sells beer (but prob isn't open yet).

drjeff

Not sure about NH - but in some states there are liquor laws where you can't bring outside booze into a venue where its sold - can potentially create issues with their overall liquor license :eek:

VTKilarney

I have no problem with kids in bars, Its should be up to the parents if they want them in there, but dont give me a dirty look if I curse around your kid in a bar. Most other places I watch my language if young kids are around but if you bring your kid in a bar and sit next to me I will curse at will, Cannon may feel they dont want kids in the bar because they take up seats that could otherwise be held by someone buying alcohol which costs much more the soda.
If there is only one restaurant at a ski area that allows families, and it has a bar, you should be respectful that it's a family restaurant and not your neighborhood pub.

Smellytele

At the Peabody lodge they have tried to get the brown baggers into the basement which I can't stand sitting in a room that is like a cave. I remember when the bar was down stairs before they moved it into the middle of the lodge (before the addition). I hated that to.