• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best spot around boston to earn your turns after work?

KevinF

Ha! Took the granddaughter sledding there last week. There were some ski/board tracks from the summit. Five years in Marlboro and haven't hiked up with the skis yet myself......................

Nice! I've been here in Marlboro for 15 years now and I still haven't skied it. :-(

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've heard that Wachusett's Pine Hill Trail was originally cut as a ski trail, but I've never seen hard evidence to confirm that (i.e., old trail maps or whatever). Does any one know what its original purpose was? Was it ever lift-serviced or was it always a "earn your turns" type of trail?

It's nowhere near the current ski-area trails and as mentioned above, it needs a lot of cover... just doesn't seem like it would ever have been skiable all that often.

As for the original question in the thread -- Marlboro (where I live) has Jericho Hill. It's now a small park / recreation area. I have yet to hike up / ski-down... one of these years.

Apparently Warren Miller did a little filming at Jericho back in either the 50s or 60s. My soon to be 92 year old grandfather met him while he was there and always brings it up when I tell him where I've been skiing.

dlague

Presidents Golf Course, Quincy. ~80' of vert with some nice sand trap kickers, and a great view of the City.

That gives me an idea! There is a golf course near by that has a road that passes by the highest point of a golf course (7th hole). From there I can ski most of the way back to the club house. Use cars as a lift!

loki357

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. I had my eye on great blue hill/skyline trail and cat rock.
I'll def take a look into some of the others as well. Hopefully the storm coming early this week lays down a decent base that sticks around for the season.

MadMadWorld

Thanks for all the great feedback everyone. I had my eye on great blue hill/skyline trail and cat rock.
I'll def take a look into some of the others as well. Hopefully the storm coming early this week lays down a decent base that sticks around for the season.

Prospect Hill much better than Cat Rock IMO. Cat Rock is just a wide open area and is more fun for kids or someone just looking to make quick turns after work.