Best spot around boston to earn your turns after work? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    When I originally stated blue hills I didn't realize he only wanted BC. But I'll still echo this. In really good snow years, you can ski the rt 128 side!!
    They are lovely glades on the Rt. 128-side of the chair. Only found them skiable a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck it View Post
    I forgot about that. Oops!
    Quote Originally Posted by john1200c View Post
    They recently put an assisted living place in there so I am not ssure how accessible the old trails are or even if they stilll exist. It may have grown over....
    There are maintained bike trails back of units and a parking lot somewhere on property, hope to try BC there this year

Quote Originally Posted by loki357 View Post
    Assuming Boston gets the usual southern storms that it has the last couple of years, I was hoping to find a few spots that I go to after work with a head lamp, hike up and get a few turns, Is there anything worth the effort within 45min of Boston?
    Anyone ski the Pine Hill Trail off the back of WaWa in a few years? It's been 10 years ago for me and it was getting grown in. It's narrow and rocky but can be fun. It needs a lot of base and would be enjoyable in March. There are some interesting slides off of rt2 when you get towards the Berks but that's more than 45 min!

Best spot around boston to earn your turns after work?

If you are gonna drive that far you could head over to Mount Watatic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    Anyone ski the Pine Hill Trail off the back of WaWa in a few years? It's been 10 years ago for me and it was getting grown in. It's narrow and rocky but can be fun. It needs a lot of base and would be enjoyable in March. There are some interesting slides off of rt2 when you get towards the Berks but that's more than 45 min!

I've heard that Wachusett's Pine Hill Trail was originally cut as a ski trail, but I've never seen hard evidence to confirm that (i.e., old trail maps or whatever). Does any one know what its original purpose was? Was it ever lift-serviced or was it always a "earn your turns" type of trail?

It's nowhere near the current ski-area trails and as mentioned above, it needs a lot of cover... just doesn't seem like it would ever have been skiable all that often.

As for the original question in the thread -- Marlboro (where I live) has Jericho Hill. It's now a small park / recreation area. I have yet to hike up / ski-down... one of these years.
    Arc \'em or park \'em

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post
    I've heard that Wachusett's Pine Hill Trail was originally cut as a ski trail, but I've never seen hard evidence to confirm that (i.e., old trail maps or whatever). Does any one know what its original purpose was? Was it ever lift-serviced or was it always a "earn your turns" type of trail?

It's nowhere near the current ski-area trails and as mentioned above, it needs a lot of cover... just doesn't seem like it would ever have been skiable all that often.

As for the original question in the thread -- Marlboro (where I live) has Jericho Hill. It's now a small park / recreation area. I have yet to hike up / ski-down... one of these years.

Ha! Took the granddaughter sledding there last week. There were some ski/board tracks from the summit. Five years in Marlboro and haven't hiked up with the skis yet myself......................

Pine Hill Trail was a CCC-cut ski trail (with some others on the hill) from the 1930's. Looks skiable with just a little walk from the summit lift. At the bottom of the trail you'd have to walk the road a bit back to the Wa-Wa side, but, doesn't look bad. Unfortunately, the trailwork to create steps in the trailfor hiking put a bunch of rocks at 90-degrees to the steps and they stick out around 12-18". Looks skiable with less cover if you can avoid those.

Quote Originally Posted by noreasterbackcountry View Post
    Well that just brought back memories of HS/college! Looks like some people have done a better job maintaining it then in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinF View Post

Quote Originally Posted by becca m View Post
    Pine Hill Trail was a CCC-cut ski trail (with some others on the hill) from the 1930's. Looks skiable with just a little walk from the summit lift. At the bottom of the trail you'd have to walk the road a bit back to the Wa-Wa side, but, doesn't look bad. Unfortunately, the trailwork to create steps in the trailfor hiking put a bunch of rocks at 90-degrees to the steps and they stick out around 12-18". Looks skiable with less cover if you can avoid those.
    Park a car down the access road or hitch a ride. It's not that far to be honest. I used to do it a bunch when I was an instructor. The trail is very accessible and most people hike it during the summer. But like you mentioned the rocks can suck. The photo that NEBC posted must have been after a very big storm because I haven't seen it in that good of shape since winter of 98!

Now that I think about it, yes you could ski Pine Hill Trail with minimal walking. As mentioned above, the start is a short walk from the summit lift.

Once you get back to the visitor center, you just need to walk *up* the auto / access road to the "upper" lot (maybe 200 yards at most and most of it is actually downhill) and look for the Dunbrowo Trail on your right. You could either ski that trail down to the base (although it would be really tight!) or take some other pretty obvious bushwacks over to the beginner hill and ski that back to the base.

Hmmmm. Might have to do this sometime this winter.
    Arc \'em or park \'em

Thread Information