• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When Will Ski Sundown Open?

Domeskier

I got the impression that the discontent was with the fact that SS wasn't seeded.

I think they actually seeded it, but in a way they thought would result in something like a "natural" bump trail and failed spectacularly. There were huge expanses of flat ice, frozen blocks of snow, unnatural spacing and consecutive moguls with troughs that somehow turned in the same direction. Never experienced the like on even the most skied-off natural GS bump trail.

Madroch

Year two- work in progress- year 1 was fine- a few great days, some good days and some blah... But it is a steep pitch in temperate ct so it is what it is... While not comparing- ripper at snow probably has about as many good days... And if Stowe got less snow- goat and Starr would be trouble also- heck nosedive is porcelain after 1/2 hour every day.

bvibert

Staff member
I think they actually seeded it, but in a way they thought would result in something like a "natural" bump trail and failed spectacularly. There were huge expanses of flat ice, frozen blocks of snow, unnatural spacing and consecutive moguls with troughs that somehow turned in the same direction. Never experienced the like on even the most skied-off natural GS bump trail.

Learn how to ski. The trail in no way "failed spectacularly". There were some things that could have gone better, and I'm sure they'll change some things this year, but it certainly didn't fail. The number of people consistently skiing down it was proof of it's success.

For the record it was seeded in the same way they've been seeding other trails for years.

Domeskier

Learn how to ski. The trail in no way "failed spectacularly". There were some things that could have gone better, and I'm sure they'll change some things this year, but it certainly didn't fail. The number of people consistently skiing down it was proof of it's success.

For the record it was seeded in the same way they've been seeding other trails for years.

They do a good job seeding Gunbarrel. Nor'easter and Exhibition not so much. The job they did on Satan's Stairway was just deplorable. Either that or it was too much trail for you locals to ski in the seeds properly.

Savemeasammy

This thread is getting good. About friggin' time...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

MadMadWorld

Proof that a bunch of intermediate skiers wanted to brag to their friends that they skied a double black diamond!

skiadikt

the one day i've ever skied sundown was last march, perhaps after the bump comp and the trail skied spectacularly.

as for mid-season, it's gotta be tough managing thaw/freezes in ct. hell killington, where i regularly ski, had a hard time keeping the bump runs open or in decent shape and that was in what most considered a great winter. old faves like vertigo went weeks w/o bumps, upper wildfire rarely was allowed to bump and they even brutally groomed most of the nats.

i'm sure management has heard the whines ... er suggestions and will do better year 2. as for the double black rating ... bogus.

Madroch

While I think the trail saw a wide range of skillsets, I don't think that is unique to sundown. Most advanced terrain has skads of less than advanced skiers adventuring down for either the excitement or to brag. The trail was pretty slick all year until spring (save a couple of beauty powder days- but you can't rely upon those in CT) - but that is true with most snowmaking covered advanced terrain that sees any traffic even up north.

Not sure who noted it in this thread-but the fact they blew pretty much the entire base in one shot-- as opposed to building through topcoats probably did not help-as the weather through the end of Jan was a vicious frigid-rain-frigid - rain scenario. The base got repeatedly rained upon
Not sure they can fix that though, as they did not have permanent tower guns installed and had to move a bunch of mobile guns onto the trail itself. This makes it both more work to top coat and also requires closing the trail.

Anyone know if they installed tower guns over the summer?

vonski

While I think the trail saw a wide range of skillsets, I don't think that is unique to sundown. Most advanced terrain has skads of less than advanced skiers adventuring down for either the excitement or to brag. The trail was pretty slick all year until spring (save a couple of beauty powder days- but you can't rely upon those in CT) - but that is true with most snowmaking covered advanced terrain that sees any traffic even up north.

Not sure who noted it in this thread-but the fact they blew pretty much the entire base in one shot-- as opposed to building through topcoats probably did not help-as the weather through the end of Jan was a vicious frigid-rain-frigid - rain scenario. The base got repeatedly rained upon
Not sure they can fix that though, as they did not have permanent tower guns installed and had to move a bunch of mobile guns onto the trail itself. This makes it both more work to top coat and also requires closing the trail.

Anyone know if they installed tower guns over the summer?

They started the snowmaking in really cold temps. But they kept going on it during the day and the did it all at once as I recall the last day was real Marginal temps. like 28 out. I know that is great for base making, but that just put down a bunch of Muck! on top of the nice stuff made in the cold temps.