• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When Will Ski Sundown Open?

o3jeff

I haven't skied much the past 2 years and looking to stretch the legs out locally. Maybe Bvibert can give us some inside info.

Also will CT's only double black diamond trail have bumps on opening day?

Grassi21

I only skied a few days last year. All at Sundown. Hiked Satan's Staircase recently. Pretty radical.

o3jeff

Sounds like you're in the same boat as me Grassi21. I didn't ski at all last year and only 3-4 days the year before.

Grassi21

Grassi we did the Bell early in the season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's right powhunter. I just get so focused on the goods at SD that I forgot about Bell and the one solo day I did at KMart. Gonna be all SD for me this year!

C-Rex

I wouldn't bet on bumps for opening day, but you never know. Even if they don't seed it, it'll probably bump up on it's own pretty quickly.

bvibert

Staff member
With the way the weather has been going I'd say there's not much chance of bumps on opening day. I'm pretty sure the new trail won't even be open right out of the chute. IIRC the plan is to start snowmaking on it the same time as Gunny, which is last, after everything else is already open. When it does open I think there's a fairly good chance that it will be bumped up.

What we need is the cold weather to come back!

o3jeff

With the way the weather has been going I'd say there's not much chance of bumps on opening day. I'm pretty sure the new trail won't even be open right out of the chute. IIRC the plan is to start snowmaking on it the same time as Gunny, which is last, after everything else is already open. When it does open I think there's a fairly good chance that it will be bumped up.

What we need is the cold weather to come back!

Thanks. I heard that with the elevation and location of the new trail that it gets more natural snowfall than the rest of the mountain, can you confirm that?

powhunter

Man the weather screwed them on their push to open up thanksgiving weekend

Highway Star

They've announced on facebook that they are not going to open for general skiing this year. They will open for snowtubing and have a single ski slope open for race teams. They will be more focused on summer activities going forward. Sorry guys.

Ski Sundown on Facebook

Last edited:

powhunter

Is it true that Chris wanted to name the new trail Sullys Staircase but Bob shot it down?

Grassi21

Thanks. I heard that with the elevation and location of the new trail that it gets more natural snowfall than the rest of the mountain, can you confirm that?

Studies have been conducted. Nothin has been confirmed.

Highway Star

They've announced on facebook that they are not going to open for general skiing this year. They will open for snowtubing and have a single ski slope open for race teams. They will be more focused on summer activities going forward. Sorry guys.

Ski Sundown on Facebook

VTKilarney

Studies have been conducted. Nothin has been confirmed.
The data isn't there yet. They've had a hard time installing sensors and monitors because the teams can only spend about half an hour at that elevation before the risk of cerebral edema becomes too great. They working on developing drones that can withstand the harsh environment, but it's going to take a breakthrough in ceramics technology before they are viable.

powhunter

And if the staircase "supposedly gets more natural snow, I would venture to guess that some type of cloud seeding is in play